328GTS Headlights up and out.. help | FerrariChat

328GTS Headlights up and out.. help

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Nationaltec, Sep 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    My 328 headlights come up but fail to light-up. When going down they momentarly flash on. So I had to pull/hold the highbeam switch all the way home last night... Any quick suggestions???

I carry 3 spares of each relay on-board and a quick swap didn't work and yes all the fuses checked ok. It was kinda dark in the parking lot and that was as far as I got.

In the highbeam position the dash indicator comes on but still no lights. I have to pull/hold the lever back to get highbeams.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Patrick

2. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Sounds like a loose ground at the headlight connector(s).

3. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Do you get parking lights? (You get these with the switch in the active/rotated position, and when the lever is in the topmost position)

Can you ever get the green headlight indicator to come on on the speedo, in with the level in any position?

Do you get interior lighting--like on your gauges? Verified that the dimmer switch (thumb dial) has an effect?

Agree to check the grounding points at the headlights. They're a three pronged connector--one for juice for lowbeam, one for highbeam, and one is a ground. I don't know where the ground wire leads; either to a local ground in that area, a common "major" ground point, or possibly back up closer towards/in the fusebox at a common grounding point.

Just some ideas of things to think about...

4. eric lipper

eric lipper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    I had a similar problem and it turns out that the turn signal switch is failing. With a little patience the lights would work if the switch was delicately held in the right position. The switch is one of the many Ferrari only items and it is currently out of production. Maranello Auto Parts is the only place that has one (a rebuilt switch) and it is about $1,800. I would put money on the switch but the headlight system has a lot of other failure points besides the switch.

5. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Long weekend on the boat but I'll give it a try today and check the grounds.

Mike, yes the parking lights and everything else worked just fine.. go figure..

I was leaning towards Erics suggestion regarding the switch, I'm pretty sure my mechanic mentioned a common solder joint failure.

Anyhow, I'll break-out the DMM and give it a shot. It's those tiny Schematics I dread...

I'll let you know what I find..
    Thanks for the pointers guys...
    Patrick

6. eric lipper

eric lipper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Now to the point, what kind of boat? I just moved mine from Dana Point to Houston.

7. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Ok, I finally got some time to address the issue..

Turns out a bad/cracked solder joint on the main relay motherboard.. Those boards have such a large ground plane that it's no wonder you can have poor solder joints.. Anyhow, it's real easy to remove and inspect your panel if needed..

I strongly suggest using DEOXIT D5 (red) to clean your contacts!! No trichlrofloroethane based relay cleaners! (nickname TRI-IKE). And if your as anal-retentive as I am, spray the panel with a coat of KonForm moisture sealer.

All is well now!!
    Thanks
    Patrick

Eric: 31' SeaRay Sundancer & 40`Trojan International in Oceanside Harbor... Love Dana Point though, great harbor...!