Bay area climate and old Ferraris | FerrariChat

Bay area climate and old Ferraris

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Morrie, Sep 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    I have an 83 308QV and have a chance to spend the winter in South San Francisco. (I like cool weather.) How corrosive is the climate there?

83s did not have the rust proofing of the 84 and later cars. I spent last sumer in Pacifica, right on the water before I had the Ferrari, and noticed some corrosion on my motorhome and trailer. I'll be a bit more inland in South San Francisco.

The trailer will act as garage for the Ferrari, but it's likely I'll leave it out occasionally under a Noah cover.

The car spent all its life in southern California and has no visible rust or corrosion. Is the climate a real problem in the San Francisco area?

2. ART360

ART360 Guest

Morrie:

You'll be close enough to the Bay that you'll get a little salt in the air. If you keep it inside, only drive it on dry days (some 60 - 70% of the time) you should be alright. Just make sure that you don't have it out when it rains.

Art

3. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    Art,

Thanks. I may get caught out in the rain while driving. I gather that the salt in the rain is the problem. I guess I'll need to wash it thoroughly after any such exposure. I have heard that the winter months are actually drier than summer. Last June and July in Pacifica I got a lot of white gook on my Miata every morning. Locals told me it was the night layer. It cleared up quite a bit in August.

Morrie

4. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    If you know Pacifica, you will be in for 1/10th of that tops in South SF.

Agree with Art, keep it inside, drive in the dry and you'll do fine.