328 GTS Normal Gauge Readings | FerrariChat

328 GTS Normal Gauge Readings

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by scott1967, Sep 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scott1967

scott1967 Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have only had my 1986 328 for a couple of months. I have reviewed the owners manual to obtain the normal reading parameters, but I am curious as to what readings others are getting on their 328? For oil pressure, oil temp, and temp. At cruising highway speed, roughly 80, and wramed up, my oil pressure is 85, my oil temp is 175, and temp is 195. How does your compare? Thanks.

P.S. I also did an archieve search and did not find anything. I don't want any kittens killed on the count of me.

Scott

2. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Mine are the same. The rad comes on at water temp 195

3. italia16

italia16 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2004
    I also have a 1986 328 and got the following numbers a while ago but can't remember the source. Oil pressure should read between 71 and 85 when warm with a max of 92.5. For me, the needle is usually vertical which I think is about 80. Water temp normally reads 140-158 (vertical needle) when warm with at max of 230. Oil temperature should be about 160 before shifting into 2nd and my notes say that it should read about 212 at 6000 rpm with a max of 266. I carry these numbers in my wallet but need to make grease pencil marks on the gages to watch it.

By the way, from the archive, I found the speedometer error is a maximum of 10% high plus 2.4 mph.

Enjoy your car and this great website. You will learn a lot.

4. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    oil pressure- a little under 85
    water temp- about 170 cruising, 195 slow traffic (fan kicks in soon)
    oil temp- between 175-210

Or in short, the needle should be vertical a little to the left.

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Does your water temp and oil needles stay stationary at the vertical? I ask since my water temp falls many a time...and I just replaced the thermostat so I do not know what else it can be.

6. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    From what i know, the water temp normal fluctuates to some degree with these cars ( I have an '85 308). Lower temp reading is a good thing and very normal when cruising.

7. scott1967

scott1967 Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I am glad that my readings are coming in normal. The vertical reference is great. I would actaully say my oil temp and regular temp are a little left of vertical when cruising.

Scott

8. Rick328GTS

Rick328GTS Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hear is a strange one!!

My oil pressure seems to run just above the center of the guage. Sometimes it moves a little higher and lower.

First time I had the car out at night I realized the instrument lighting was on the dim side so I adjusted the intensity. As I was increasing the brightness, the oil pressure guage reading also increased!! I then lowered the brightness and the oil pressure indication followed. Must be a common voltage source or possible grounding issue.

So, not sure how accurate these analog guages are anyway!! More of a guide I think to the trends of the engine!

I did change the sending unit in the spring and contemplate the guage next.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

9. SCOPE

SCOPE Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    melbourne australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    i have had my gts about 2 weeks and have not had time yet to read the gauges.
    too much else happening.

but what a really great car.

totally impractical but the "wow" factor exceeds ten.

tony australia

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Hi Omar. If you're asking me, the water needle isn't necessarily stationary. Like it rises to 195, say in a traffic, then the fan kicks in. But it never goes beyond 195. When cruising, the temp falls and the needle moves back (to the "left") further. Oil pressure pretty much stationary at a little under 85.

My fuel gauge though "wiggles" to a certain extent but it 's still dependable.

Thanks for your TUbi advice. The latter is being installed in my car.

Ron

11. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    Mine reads about the same, and I have driven about 10 different 328s and thay all fell in this same region, but no 2 where exactly the same. The accuracy of the gauge/sender tends to be a ball park instrument at best. Only get worried if you start to see rapid flucuations or a trend over time that temp or pressure is moving up or down over time. I have never seen a 328 or 308 QV have an oil pressure issue that was a real problem ( ie not gauge/sender related)

now radiators and oil coolers are a differnet issue...tose tend to wear out over time is not given proper services.

Ciao'

Steve

www.sportauto.us

ps...I can't spell...sorry for the typos

12. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Thank you Ron!

All the best with your exhaust, may it place a smile on your face like none other!