Anyone Interested in going to the Detailing Day this Sunday 9/26/04? | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Anyone Interested in going to the Detailing Day this Sunday 9/26/04?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by THonda, Sep 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    so ur saying he is just anti-social, not that he is scared sh1tless, right? muhahahahahaa :)

2. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    yo btw this thread got mad replies. i think the only bigger thread is the spotter thread which is like 7 months old.
    good job t-money.

3. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    So did you get any new detailing "secrets"? It doesn't sound like you guys spent that much time there.

4. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    got some, while he used clyde's car as Guinea pig :)
    the guy definitely knows his stuff, but the process was very slow, so we left after an hour and half and went on our drive to jones beach.

5. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    ed, have you not forgetten? we all have short attention spans...

6. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    An hour and a half.... that's it? You guys are too funny. I got into an AM garage cleaning project and considered driving down afterwards. Good thing I didn't. Instead I spent a good 3.5 hours detailing my car at home later in the day.

7. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    WHat were we talking about?

8. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    dont know... anacondas?... little hondas?

9. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    I think I whipered to 993Guy "wanna go for a ride" and like 10 people anwsered "let's go!". We even got a couple of guys that were just there for the session that we didn't even know. I think even the guy with the Stradale who never revs over 5K rpms, and warms up for 15 minutes b/4 he moves it.

10. Schultzois

Schultzois Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Yes. Avoid at all costs coming in contact with your car. You will only do something that will mess up the paint, the clearcoat, or somethig else. :D

Oh, and most every body panel has been repainted at some point, making most cars virtually worthless. For specific examples on this, ask Clyde for a demo!

Seriously, although I have no doubt Matt's detailing is extraordinary, and that everything he said was "correct" on a technical level, I think he spent too much time explaining all the things one can do wrong, making no mention that surviving with a Ferrari (or any other car) in New York (or any other place) probably requires you to do all these things anyway sooner or later (as an alternative to doing something even More wrong).

What I would have liked to hear more of is what the best thing(s) are to do after you've abused your poor car, whether the abuse was keeping it in a garage with a cover on it even though it's not pristine in order to avoid dings and dents, or washing it with a sponge that has touched the dirties of another car because your car was just too dirty to carry on driving.

Instead, I feel I was just left to look all the abuse I've put my car through and cry. Okay, not really. I was left to abuse my car out to Jones beach and back! Along with the other EC Playaz! :)

11. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Wow... it really is a good thing I didn't bring my car. I already have low self esteem just from owning a mondial.... ;)

12. JohnH

JohnH Karting

Dec 31, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    John H.
    Just you wait until I break that car in~!

13. THonda

THonda Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    TH
    we will put that 3M film on your bumper and hood to the test!!!!

14. Sharif

Sharif Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Sharif
    Henry/ John are just waiting for the car to break in. I can vouch for the fact they are not afraid to push any of their cars :)

15. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    You know the best way to break it in is to accelerate the breakin period, VERY high revs followed by "we dont need no stinkin warmup" and more high revs, you should be good to go by Friday!

16. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    Michael makes a good point. On high performance engines you want to rev throughout the rev range during the break-in period. Doing this breaks in the cylinder walls fully at the end of piston travel. You can be assured of equal smoothness throughout the rpm range, under all loads.

What you're NOT supposed to do, is romp on the throttle and accelerate hard. You want to slowly accelerate, gradually revving to redline--so there is minimal load. Progressively accelerating faster as the break-in period ends.

GT

17. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    John the only way I want to go up against your car AFTER you break it in, is if your in reverse ;).

18. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    break dat baby in!
    but one word of advice.....I wouldnt drive around in that car with the seat covers on :) especially in front of EC. got to look like a PlaYa zen.....the dirtier ur car is....da better!

19. THonda

THonda Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    TH
    werd, seat cover are best reserved for times when the screaming is not coming from your engine :p

20. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    So you are saying that they should have driven with us at Jones beach run as a good break-in.
    We didn't do any 0-60 sprints. We *did* accelerated from 60-120 in what? 10 seconds! But then again, we "romped" the gas pedal too. My foot was frequently hitting the metal :)

Hey, if a 308 can do it, the Stradale better step up to the plate ;)

Looking foward to seeing you guys on more runs! Winter's coming up fast!

21. young-nyc

young-nyc Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bayside, NY
    Full Name:
    Young Kim

Sure is this what you did with your 355 when you first got it?
    or was it broken in for you?

I agree with Technik1's method and that's what they have been doing with their stradale...varying the rpms and increasing it little by little. =)

22. gixxer_kidd

gixxer_kidd Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Thai Dao
    Sup guys. Just wanted to say thanks for letting me join you guys on Sunday. I don't think I ever drove my car like that before. Got to be honest, didn't expect Ferrari guys to be so friendly, but you guys proved me wrong.

Michael, thanks for the kind words. That 355 of yours is sweet! Hubert, awesome pics. I was suprised you even took pics of my car ;)

If you guys don't mind having an M3 riding along with you next time I would love to come out again. Just have to remember to stay way back. Got a few chips from all the pebbles kicked up from your cars. I guess I should have had a clear bra put on =(

-Thai

23. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    That's quite the M3 you have there my friend and it was a pleasure to have you along (hey I'm not yet ridin' in an F-car, so it's good to have some fellow German blood around ;-) ). As for the stone chips, that's just a part of being in the EC crew. I know it sucks, but it's a small price to pay for the fun that comes with hangin' with this crew...especially at full throttle in a pack of Ferraris down your favorite interstate! Btw, that exhaust on your car is LOUD and I wouldn't count on having that front valence remain on your car if you plan to run with us in the future. It's bound to become a victim being that it's only a few inches off the ground. Looks sweet though...

One last thing, fill out your profile or you're going to catch some slack from a few in the group. We all like to get an idea of who we're chatting with...

24. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Thai,
    Good to have you on board! I'm loving your M3 - awesome car! Take the top off next time ;)

Unfortunately, stone chips come with driving the car - each of my cars are peppered with chips. I've resprayed the TR nose once, and the 355 bumper as well to correct chips, and the first time out, I get new ones.
    David

25. JohnH

JohnH Karting

Dec 31, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    John H.
    Thanks for the advice everybody and don't worry Michael the 355 is still one heck of a beast. I will also make sure to take off the seat covers next time. I thought they looked pimp and keep the seat clean. Hopefully the car will be broken in by this weekend.