Tivo...who's a user and who's not? | FerrariChat

Tivo...who's a user and who's not?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Alxlee, Sep 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I always see people say they're going to Tivo something so I'm curious, how many of you are Tivo owners and users? Are you one that tried it out of curiousity and got so hooked that you'll never live without it again or would can you live without it now that you've tried it? Who's using Tivo Basic and who's got the product lifetime membership?

My guess is that many of you are since most of you seem to be early adopters of technology.

Inquiring minds want to know...ok, really just me.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I have the DirecTivo unit with dual recorders

It's great. I can watch TV when I feel like it, not when some suit somewhere wants me to watch it. It's gotten to the point that I can't stand watching TV in "real time" because I can't fast forward though the commercials.

The lifetime subscription (which is the life of the product, not the user) is not available with the DirectTV system.

3. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    I saw it in action at a friend's house and knew I had to have it. Our dog destroyed the remote last week and we were without TiVo for a couple of days while waiting for the replacement to arrive. I probably only watch an hour or so of TV per day during the week, and now it seems horribly inefficient without the TiVo. With TiVo I can watch the same amount of programming in about 1/3-1/2 the time it takes to watch live. Watching live TV sux after you've been spoiled by TiVo. It is one of the coolest things I've bought in recent years and worth every penny. Lifetime subscrption.

4. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    i dont have tivo but i have the cable companies equivilent. its the best money i have ever spent, well worth every penny, i save at least an hour a day not watching commercials. get one

john

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I have a replytv w/ 240 hour record. I didn't think I would want it at first, but it's great. If you get up to do something or take a call, just pause or Rew. and you don't miss anything. The guide is better then Directv and you can set it to Rec. shows. One complaint is the noise of the drive. I had to remove it from the bedroom.

6. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I've had an original Panasonic replay tv recorder since 1998. It has to be the best gadget I ever bought. The hard drive is noisy and I had to take it out of the bedroom. Two thumbs up!!

7. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have 3 of the direct tv dual tuner tivos and they are awesome. You can record two things at once and set the thing to record your favorite shows everytime they are on and specify only first run. No more worying about missing anything we want to watch.

8. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I use dishTV and it came with a "Digital Video Recorder" otherwise known as TiVo... only not TiVo. In any case it works the same way and I find myself pausing a show at the beginning, walking off for 15 minutes come back and can watch about a hour and a half of TV with no commercials.

It also works very well for easily recording anything that I miss while I'm at school/work. The instant rewind and pause is also very fun, easy and useful. "only" 80 hours of TV but from what I can remember its stored on the equivalent of RAM instead of a hardrive and I have no noises or any such coming from the device itself.

Could I live without it? Sure, but then I'd watch a whole lot less TV. Which may actually be a good thing.

9. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    ive got the dish "divo" w/ 100 hours and its great the search thing is the best, one doesnt realize how many good shows they miss in the middle of the night, but divo can get them, i thought it was pointless at first but for F1 races there the best, watch whenever you want...

10. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I love my tivo. it is my 2nd favorite gadget only behind the ipod and that is just because i love music. get a tivo try it for a while and you will be hooked.

11. rainydave

rainydave Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Western Washington
    I have a DirecTiVo with around 145 hours capacity. Our family loves it!

12. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Had TiVo for 5 years now and would never be without it again.

It's hard to understand how much it changes your life and your TV viewing habits until you experience it. I haven't watched a commercial in years, and I spend less time watching what I like instead of what the networks choose to put on during my TV viewing time.

13. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    We have Tivo. Love to fast forward through all of the commercials, etc. Cuts the time way down to view a program. Use it all the time. Great for shows that you want to record every week.

14. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    TIVO is super. Wouldn't want to be without it.

But the "lifetime" subsciption is tied to a certain recorder ID#.

We've had a couple die on us so I would suggest just sticking with the monthly subscription.

TIVO customer service is very good also.

15. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I just joined the TIVO family recently. One of the best features for me is the option for on-line scheduling. If I'm out of town and there's something I want to record, just go to the website, pick the show, and an hour later it's programmed.

The one drawback is I find that I am watching alot more TV than I used to- before TIVO I would just skip everything, but now that I know I have it recorded I'm prioritizing just to go home and fire up the TIVO. :D

16. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I have the Time Warner version, Explorer 8000 digital cable DVR by Scientific Atlanta. It's not bad, there's some lag when you change channels, and lately, there's been occasional "hesitation" when watching live TV.

Still, overall, it's nice. I don't really have time to fit my schedule to what's on TV, so I just program it to record a series and watch whenever I want.

Not earth-shattering, but very convenient.

17. gentry

gentry Guest

What he said:

And I am waiting to get a new plasma TV until they come out with an HD DirecTiVo.

18. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    OK, I went and ordered a unit, but got the Toshiba SD-H400...DVD player (not recorder) with 80 hour Tivo.

Wonder when they're going to start building TV's with Tivo or similar built in.

19. JJB

JJB Karting

Aug 5, 2004
    Texas
    And at my house :) I purchased two Direct Tivo boxes back around 2000 and have not been without Tivo since. I have been through a few boxes (hard drives do fail on occasion) but the operation remains the same. I have had HD Tivo for three or four months and it is great. It is exactly the same as he Direct Tivo but will record HD as well. I hate being tied to the couch at a particular time in order to catch a show. I no longer have that problem.

I would always recommend a Direct Tivo version if possible. The recording time is dependent on quality on the stand alone boxes. In the Direct Tivo set up the number of recordable hours really is the number. I cannot say enough good things about this product.

JJB