Pearlescent white paint, do the unrepairable problems outweigh the benefits of looks? | FerrariChat

Pearlescent white paint, do the unrepairable problems outweigh the benefits of looks?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by TeamF1Jr, Sep 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    I'm considering a 2nd car in a white pearl finish. I absolutely love the color, but I hear horror stories about its tendency to crack and easy road chips. I hear that the touch paint if anything makes it look worse and obviously if you spend the big bucks and repaint a large section, being able to perfectly match the 3 step process is very difficult.

Can any of you pearlescent white paint owners either agree with the above statements or ease my fears?

Thanks,
    Phil

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've heard the same thing before about how diffucult it is to repaint and alot of times people just have to repaint the entire car. One person I tlaked to about it had a Escalade in that pearl white color and he said it got keyed one time and proceded to tell me what a ***** it was to get it fixed. who knows he might have just been making it up though. But I've heard the same thing from lot's of people

3. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I used to do paint repair on cars at car dealers. I only did it for a year but on more than one occaision I painted only 1 corner of a Caddy bumper in the Pearl white 3 stage and it was completely undetectable. Also the 3 stage red of the Mustang and Expedition is the same thing. I did charge more because it was more work and on a vehicle like these it has to be perfect. I would guess that more often than not it costs more because of the emblem on the car not the color. But the touch up paint does look bad, you really need to respray.

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

It is extraordinarily hard to match properly......this is true.

You have to repaint large sections to cover small blemishes......this is true.

You cannot use TU paint or it looks horrible.....this is true.

I used to manage a Porsche dealership and one of my colleagues in another dealer had a client order a 1992 911 Turbo in a "paint to sample" pearl white........PAG tried to get him to change his mind.......but he was willing to pay the $15K (paint to sample was $6K at the time) they wanted to charge him....and he had to sign a disclaimer regarding the above items.

Now I imagine Cadillac paint (or whatever) is no where near on par with the Porsche finish on that particular car...but still...you will have trouble. Try to find a used car at a dealer somewhere to see what repairs or touch ups may look like first before you buy.