348 Challenge Clutch | FerrariChat

348 Challenge Clutch

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ira Schwartz, Sep 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Does anyone have any input to offer on the difference between a 348 Challenge clutch and the normal 348 unit? Mine is slipping and needs replacement, and I'm unclear on the advantages offered by the Challenge clutch for all the extra cost involved. The car, by the way, is only used for track events (and driving to and from), and has the full Challenge set-up. THANKS.

2. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    P.S.: We're talking about the later, single-plate clutch.

3. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    It is probably like the 355 Challenge clutch in that the only difference was the metalic disc which cost an arm and a leg. I just replaced the disc in a 355 Challenge car with a stock unit and it works fine for what you are using the car for.

4. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Thanks, Tom.

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Ira,

There are 3 348 clutchs. 1) up to 1991 dual disc clutch (my favorite), 2) 1992 and up single plate clutch (many cars are coverted to the single for no good reason IMO) 3) a challenge clutch disc in kevlar that is more like a five armed frisbee than a actual disc. It has kevlar buttons with no marcel, IMO it makes very little difference in racing if you basically use the stock heavy pressure plate etc. IMO the best way to improve a 348 clutch is to 1) gut the Flywheel internals cut off the spider thing inside and weld it to the center hub and balance it. I have doen this and there is an acceleration difference. I dropped of about 6 lbs of rotating mass. 2) go to a tilton style 7" multidisc and appropriote flywheel.

Contrary to popular opinion there is not enough harminic issues by doing either of these to cause the engine to blow apart. Seen it , done it, and still racing it.

6. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    THANKS. My '93 (#94285) has a single disc clutch, and I assume it's the Challenge version, but I can only locate a replacement disc and thought there were other differences as well (pressure plate?). I've considered going to Tilton or someplace like that, but may just use a standard, late (i.e., single-disc) clutch and call it a day, especially since the car is street-driven, at least to/from the track.

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If your system is in good shape and you have the ability to do the system yourself you can jsut send the single disc to someone like fort wanye clutch and resurface with OEM style organic material for less than 50 bucks. Just give them the specs with compressed marcel so they don't mess up. Acept nothing if it is not in spec. They have the machine to cut down and organic surface to the proper spec. Companies like these are lazy and try to just put on surface which come in standard sizes not ferrari sizes. You can also put on ceramic buttons for clutch surface and experiment with kevlar etc and loos the marcel for faster hook up but more shock to the driveline. Personally I race and see no difference at my lowly level. Go to Tilton only if you are going to drop significant weight out of the system or it is just not worth the money.

8. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Probably not worth going the Tilton route. I'll put in a standard single-disc clutch and see how it goes. Thanks.