Source for Lug Bolts -- Mondial QV | FerrariChat

Source for Lug Bolts -- Mondial QV

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by FasterIsBetter, Sep 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Last night I finally got around to putting the Gotti wheels onto the Mondial. Everything looks good, no clearance problems, should do exactly what I want. The only problem is that the old Mondial lug bolts are too long by about 3/16". They appear to be the long bolts (I think they are the same as the 308 bolts). I went on line and checked the "usual suspects" and found that replacement bolts are $30 EACH! Yikes! They'll cost me more than the wheels did.

Anyone have a good, reasonably priced source for lug bolts, new or used? Or an extra set (long or short) that they'd be willing to part with at a reasonable price? I'd take the originals to a machine shop and have them cut down and rethreaded, but I need them to put the original wheels back on when I'm not going to the track.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hill Engineering makes an alternative to the Ferrari Factory bolts, which retail for $65.00US EACH.

Not sure about the Mondial but the older 308s take 10 long 10 short, as front and rear are different. I had some Etoiles that were mounted with a standard head bolt that DID have the proper profile, but not chrome or anything.

You might show yours to a fastener company that could get you going......

3. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I purchased some from DEXM LLC I think it was 300 or so for a set for my 348. If not you can get used ones from GT Car PArts but I think they still run about $30 since new I have heard selling for as high as $65 each

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  5. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I just purchased a few lug bolts from ECS for my track wheels. All worked as you'd hope and reasonably priced.
    Philip

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Paid only $4 each bolt from Kinesis Motorsports. They are not chrome yet are of course Grade 10.

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The company that Alan at Kinesis works with for the lug bolts can make just about any fitting, size, shank, dimension possible. For $4 a piece, well worth it. I'm unsure of the grade that is necessary for lug bolts, but 8 might not be needed. Thoughts from the experts?

8. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Thanks guys! I just spoke to the guy up at ECS Tuning. I'm sending him digital photos of the bolt, the wheel and the hub, and he's going to help me get the right bolt. I may be able to use the generic conical bolt, with lists for $2.95 each. Their "Ferrari" bolts are $5.95 each. Since these are going on the track wheels, I don't care if they are chromed or not, so long as they are the right grade and right fit so that I don't end up with a wheel flying off at 140 mph.

I'll let you know how it works out. Any contact information on Kinesis? I'd like to give them a call also.

Regards,
    Steve

9. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    http://www.kinesismotorsport.com

KINESIS MOTORSPORT
    1216 Avenida Chelsea
    Vista, CA 92081-8315

phone 760.598.5300
    toll-free 800.888.6754

10. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Thanks for the information, Steve

11. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
  12. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
  13. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Ordered a set of generic bolts from ECS Tuning today. They should do the trick. The barrel on the original Mondial bolts, front and rear, were 40mm long (not including the bolt head and cone). Since we measured to be just slightly less than 3/16" long, I opted for the generic bolts with a 35mm long barrel, fully threaded, conical/hex head. Hopefully, that will work.

Price? $2.95 each. They are a gun-metal gray, but I don't care as long as they work. They are only for the track/autocross wheels anyway. For regular driving, I'm going to put the stock Ferrari wheels and chrome bolts back on, so I don't care what the racing bolts look like.

I'll let you know how they are when they show up. ECS was a pleasure to deal with and very, very helpful, by the way. Thanks again for the recommendation.

14. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Yes, though I can tell you from personal experience that the chroming job is "mediocre" rather than super-high polish.

15. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Well, I got the bolts from ECS Tuning. They are grade 10 bolts, conical seat, correct threads. My original bolts were 40mm barrels, and I got the replacement bolts for the Gotti wheels with 35mm barrels on them. They fit perfectly!! Not the most beautiful things in the world (gray, not chromed), but I don't care. They are recessed in the wheels and they are just for the track and autocross anyway. I got a good 6 turns on them to tighten, so I'm all set. Pocono Raceway with the FCA tomorrow!

Thanks for all the help guys. Best of all, they cost me $2.95 ea. With shipping, I spent $70. Not bad. Excellent recommendation.

Regards,
    Steve W.

16. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Steve - I'm curious whether there is any weight difference on the new bolts. The chromed factory bolts seem to be extremely heavy.

17. CarlH

CarlH Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Carl H.
    I have an issue which is clost to this topic.....When I took my 308 to a local shop for state inspection (No Ferrari dealers in MD), they removed all the wheels with an impact wrench. Now the chrome is pealed off most of the bolts. (They were dumb for doing it - I was dumb for looking at the three stooges and thinking they knew what they were doing)

I am considering attempting to have the bolts rechromed rather then spend the 1K+ for replacement parts. I recall when chrome bumpers were in style that there were shops which offered that type of refinishing. Or will that just be a waist of time?

18. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Peter, The new bolts seem to be slightly lighter. But I think that is a function of them being 5mm shorter and having a somewhat smaller head on them (17mm vs. 22 mm for the original bolts). I had the car on the track today up at Pocono, and the wheels worked out great. And the bolts passed tech inspection (torquing) no problem. I'm really pleased with how the whole thing worked out with the wheels and lug nuts.