250 GTO Question | FerrariChat

250 GTO Question

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Chaos, Sep 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    can anyone tell me why #3943 has a considerably smaller (and imo better looking) hump on the engine cover than almost any other '62 shape gto ive seen?

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I believe the hood bulge is the same as most other '62s. See below.

Perhaps you are thinking of the extra large bulge on 330 GTO s/n 4561SA?

3. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    it could just be the pics ive got possibly.

4. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Since most cars you have seen are actually replicas with a 4-litre engine?

Best wishes, Kare

5. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    #5 Chaos, Sep 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    no.

ive seen probably 5 real gto's "in the flesh" so to speak.

including a glorious half an hour when i followed Jack Sears through oxfordshire in #3729 registered EUP977B (causing me no end of grief with my then girlfriend due to me being late in arriving at her house)

and i have a considerable collection of photographs of gto's (over 1000)

i can see what i mean from these pics (i hope you can too)

the first is #3943 with its "possibl" lower hump
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    It may sometimes be very difficult to analyze smooth forms on photographs. I have also noticed that red color may decrease contrast so that the form does not show very well. Looking through some of my (just) 500+ GTO-photographs I also noticed that sometimes the hump looks lower after the car was painted red. The high finish on that Price-GTO may also play a few tricks.

One more thing to remember is that many if not most GTOs were more or less damaged during their racing career and may have remade (either period or later) front clips or bodies. Original bucks may not have been used for all of them, so design as appears today, may vary.

Best wishes, Kare

7. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Are intimating that Mr. Sears was holding you back? (8->}

Regards,
    Bill

8. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.

lololol

not at all. more that i followed the gto instead of going where i should have

9. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo

Not to mention that even when they were new, they varied slightly in body shape and configuartions from car to car. Some had louvers on the hood, different rear spoilers, some were riveted on, others molded into the rear, slightly different positioning of driving lights or openings in the front end. Later cars had the 3 slits in the front fender instead of 2. It would not suprise me if they varied the height of the hood bulge. Its very hard to tell from pictures.

Ed

10. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    GTO, like any car, went through some changes during the time it was built. Rear spoiler was riveted on those built without and integrated on later cars. Brake cooling ducts were added to the nose and later enlarged. All cars seem to have been were rebuilt (3505GT fortunately retaining the "interim" nose!). Position of parking lights vary.

Most of the other differences were added by owners. As far as I know factory never built a m/62-car with three side vents; they were all converted (they believed a third vent would significantly reduce the engine compartment and cabin temperature but were proven wrong later). Same goes for all kinds of scoops, louvers... etc.

The problem with the bonnet bulge is that for different heights, they probably should have used different bucks. I don't think that is likely to happen without a good reason (like bigger engine).

Best wishes, Kare

11. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    #11 Chaos, Oct 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. don

don Karting

Jan 7, 2004
    Dunedin Florida USA
    Full Name:
    Don Nelson
    Take a look some time, at the book "I Love GTO".
    This is the photographic story of the 1982 20th Anniverary of the GTO.
    I was there with my GTO # 3527, and some 26 (I think) GTO's met in Paris and drove south for a race at the Mas Du Clos Circuit.
    Evey car was a different shape somewhere ! This is how they were before they were worth a lot of money, and before they were restored to the definitive shape that a GTO was thought to be.
    At this time, they were basically still nice ,old , well polished race cars, in either near original, or repaired (rather than restored) condition, with the majority of the body panels as they left the factory.
    There is no way that Mario (left side), Umberto (right side), or Carlo (nose and tail), could ever have made 2 bodies the same !!!
    Best regards,
    Don