F1 gearbox failure warning light | FerrariChat

F1 gearbox failure warning light

Discussion in '360/430' started by bumboola, Sep 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    I was out for a pretty long drive tonight and during the way back on the highway in 6th gear the F1 gearbox failure warning lit up with an audible alarm signal - the gearbox was working perfectly and I had no problems at all. After about 5 minutes it went away. Anybody had this happen to them? Anything to be concerned about?

Thanks

2. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Should return to normal if you let it cool down, the beeping is clutch overheat alarm, maybe.

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Where is the "F1 gearbox failure warning light"? If your talking about the transmission light, I don't think it would light up if the clutch is overheating. I get a beep. I'm not sure why a clutch would be overheating in 6th gear. Also, I think the beep for clutch overheating only sounds in first gear. Sounds like something you want to discuss with the dealer so you don't get stuck on the road.

4. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    It's on the dash, it may be called something else on a 355.

You're right, it was not the clutch overheating. It was not beeping, it was a solid audible alarm accompanied by the warning light. I had to pull over and check the owners manual to see what it was. The odd thing is that the gearbox worked perfectly before and after the warning and I was in 6th for several miles when it happened. I will ask the dealer about it, but sometimes I get more informative answers on FChat!

5. albertl

albertl Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2002
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Had this happen on my CS at 350 miles. The dealer put it under the SD2 and called FNA and they adjusted the clutch slippage and it went away. Evidently, the slip adjustment was off. I am now at 3,500 miles w/o incident. I would recommend you take it in.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The light should not come on if it is only a clutch overheat situation. If the light came on it should have recorded a fault in memory and can be read by the SD2. It should be investigated and if required corrected before it leaves you stranded. If the light and alarm come on while driving the sys has a failsafe mode to protect itself from damage. If the error or failure is serious enough it will stop the motor the next time you go below 5 or 10 mph and there you will sit. It happened to me on a freeway off ramp.

7. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    DAYUM! And there was no OnStar to help you, either, eh?

8. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    hmmmm. my guess is the F1 pump had a glitch or perhaps it is low on oil. check the F1 fluid reservoir and ask your dealer.