Message from Nibblesworth! | FerrariChat

Message from Nibblesworth!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by darth550, Sep 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    F-chat community helping Marines? Let's do it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our country is fairly divided over the issue of the war in Iraq. While many of us disagree with the reasons for going to war, and while many of us disagree on the handling of the war by the current administration, it seems clear that nearly everyone agrees that we should support the men and women who are in uniform.

In that light, I'd like to put together an event to give Marines and Sailors returning from Iraq a nice day of relaxation and morale boosting. Having served as a Marine for four years, I know that most Marines love cars, and most Marines love food. Therefore, I feel that the best way for us civilians to give Marines a day of fun would be to let them drool over F-cars and eat free burgers and hot dogs.

I'd like to see if I can get 15 - 20 (or more!) F-chatters with F-cars to commit to caravaning down to Camp Pendleton sometime in late October. In addition to bringing the cars, I would also like to see if each member planning to attend would also bring $20 or so to donate to a food fund, with which burgers, hot dogs, drinks, chips, etc etc, would be purchased for a free BBQ for the Marines and Sailors.

If we can get a good number of members to commit to doing something like this, I can contact some people I know on Camp Pendleton to see if they can help coordinate the event. We could pick a unit that has recently returned from Iraq, and more than likely use their parade deck to display the F-cars and cook the food.

Not only would this be a great thing to do for the Marines and Sailors, it would also provide a fun and relaxing F-car drive and meet for us F-chatters. The drive to Camp Pendleton would be a blast if we had a nice long caravan, and we could even enter the base via the San Onofre base gate, giving us a fantastic drive through the twisties of Basilone Road.

I truly hope that this proposal does not offend anyone opposed to the war. If it has, I apologize. If you feel you need to comment on this based on your opposition, please do so via a private PM to me and we can discuss it.

If interested, we can start by responding directly to this thread. If there is enough interest, we can switch over to email to get the dates and what-not cemented.

If you'd like to contact me, you can either email me at [email protected] or you can give me a ring at 909-262-5671.

Let's do this!

2. AaronB

AaronB Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Fallbrook, CA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Marks
    Sounds like a great idea. Being a former Marine myself stationed at Camp Pendleton and living nearby in Fallbrook, I would consider myself un-American to miss something like this.

We did something like this a few months back with the San Diego FOC, SD Corvette Club and Viper Club - had a great car show and BBQ for an outbound unit on their way to Iraq. A great turnout and very much appreciated by all the Marines I talked with. (a couple pics on this thread: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7600&highlight=camp+pendleton )

Another write up on the event here: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8773&highlight=camp+pendleton

I know of a couple other local F-car owners off the top of my head who would be there if asked. Get some details going and I'll get the word out on my end.

Aaron out.

3. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA & SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    I think this is a fantastic idea. I personally am out of town until Nov 1st but will contribute $$ towards the event for food. If it happens to be scheduled in Nov, I will be there with bells on.

4. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
  5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    PLEASE leave that particular outfit at home!!! ;)

DL

6. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    When I was in the Seabees/USNR I spent one of my two-week training missions crawling around Camp Pendleton.

So count me in, too.

Cheers
    Kevin

7. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Were you stationed in Point Mugu?

8. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    No - I was in the Reserves in Portland OR. Boot camp in San Diego/EA 'A' School in Gulfport.

Mid '80s.

Did do one of my two-week training things at Port Hueneme, though.

Cheers
    Kevin

9. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Sounds like fun! My son is a Marine, and is currently stationed at Miramar Air Station. BTW - the air show weekend (at Miramar) is Oct 15-17. (could we look at a Sunday ... I work on Sat)

10. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Looks like we have some interested parties!

When I get home today I'll start to compile a list of those wishing to attend. I'll also send out an e-mail to all interested parties. We can together try and come up with a good date, and then I can start to make some calls to Camp Pendleton.

This should be fun guy! Thanks for the interest.

11. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Here's an update:

I contacted the community affairs office on Camp Pendleton, and the office is going to select a unit that has returned recently from Afghanistan and Iraq. The tricky thing is finding a unit that has returned without the majority of the Marines in the unit off on leave.

I told the office that we'd like to do this sometime in late Oct/early Nov. I should hear something by early next week.

For those who cannot attend, but would like to donate some money for food: There are a few options that we can use to implement this. First, cash or check could be sent directly to me. I do not like this option too much. Second option is to possibly set up a PayPal account where money can be donated directly. I do not know how to set this up, however. If there is anyone here that knows how to do it, any information would be greatly appreciated.

I am open for any other options on how to collect donations. Any suggestions?

I will compile a list of F-chatter with F-cars who are planning to attend, and I will also compile a list of F-chatter who are planning to donate.

Thanks for all the interest! If this thing comes to life, it should be a fun event for everyone involved, especially the Marines.

Again, thanks for all the interest and willingness to help.

12. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have a PayPall account, if that would help.

13. jharkercfduc

jharkercfduc Karting

Sep 4, 2004
    riverside california
    Full Name:
    jonathan harker
    I would like to go. if someone would be kind enough to give me a ride, I would contribute for gas and 20 for donation. ARMY RANGERS lead the way, unless they don't have a ferrari yet.

14. dprestine

dprestine Rookie

May 8, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Terrific idea. I'd be pleased to participate. If we can't attract enough interest via the F-Chat community, why not enlist the promotional capabilities of FCA and or FOC? The next Southwest Region FCA board meeting is not until Nov 13, but concept might be introduced then. Obviously late for an October event, but might generate more cars for a later date.

15. Marc G

Marc G Karting

Feb 22, 2004
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Coca Cola aka (Coke) puts on a Hot Rod event every year for Camp Pendleton Marines. It may pay off to get corporate help, like In-Out Burger to supply their truck and check in with Coca Cola. Makes me hungry I’m there!