History of a Toronto 348 Speciale? | FerrariChat

History of a Toronto 348 Speciale?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 996, Feb 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 996

996 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Greater Toronto Area
    I saw a black 1992 348 TS Speciale on Autotrader in Toronto. Anyone know anything about the car?
    It's got the F40 seats in it, got 45K Kms on it, and is number 17 of 100.
    I did the background check and it's originally from Toronto, made it's way around Toronto car dealerships (i.e. owned by a Toyota and Acura dealership), then spent 5 years in Montreal starting in 1996. It bounced back to Caliber a couple of times, and then to this 1 guy in 2001 for 2 month...then Mercedes had it...sold it to North York Chevrolet in Dec, 2001.
    Caliber bought it back right away...then plated it for 1 year from 2002 to 2003 summer....and now it's at Prestige Toys.
    Any one of you guys owned this car? Anyone know of accidents as it did spend 5 years in Montreal...so there's no history that comes up here in Ontario.
    Any help would be great...I'm hoping this is my first Ferrari!!! I'd love to join the "club"!
    H

2. RobS

RobS Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob S.
    Well, It's been in Montreal ? Thats not a good thing... cuz there wont be any history on it there...

Seems as though it's been in 1 too many hands...

I have seen this car up close at Prestige, and it's not the "best" 348 out there...

There is a mint red 348 TB speciale on autotrder owned by a boating company..Only for 6 grand more....

3. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

That is true. It is owned by a marine company and it has also been in the trader for a while but I bet it is better than the other one. I know the owner of Caliber well so if you want I can get some info for you. Just message me ([email protected]). I also know of one Speciale in a collection of a friend of a friend with 22km Red/Blk (F40 seats too). Problem is I am not sure if he'd sell. Anyways, good luck with the car!

I have dealt with a few of these cars in Canada and the problem is that there are sooo few to choose from. The good ones are stashed away.

Take care.

Vasco.R

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    E-mail me..I have extensive knowleage of this car. I know the previous owner.

Tom.

5. 996

996 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Greater Toronto Area
    Thanks for the input.
    Yep...the one at Prestige is not "Mint" as in the ad description. It will need a good detailing, and repainting of the front lower skirt.

The one at Kennedy Auto does look amazing. He wanted $99K at the beginning of Summer, I guess he has now dropped it by 10K. He also has both sets of seats...but no Tubi, and no TS top...it's a TB. You are right though...I trust the history of that car much more.

I don't want to start a debate...but I do prefer black in a Ferrari...though I'm not knocking red...I'd probably buy that as well.

The one at Prestige can look amazing though...it's got the challenge grill...and the soft TS roof (he no longer has the hard top)...so that's a negotiation tool. I'm guessing he's still got quite a bit of room to move on the price.

If you guys know any Speciale's for sale...my ears are burning!
    Thanks again for the input.

6. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon

Challenge grille on a 348? I think you mean the grilles between the rearlights on a Speciale? A "soft" ts roof is also unknown to me I must say, all ts variants have the black (or bodycoloured) hard top. If the hard top is missing I would turn around immediatly...
    Keep us in touch with your possible purchase, we alway like pics... :))

7. 996

996 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Greater Toronto Area
    #7 996, Feb 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The grille in the front has been changed. They told me that's the "Challenge" front grille - see attached picture.

It does have a soft foldable top instead of the orginal harder top.
    I think I will walk away from this one...I did get some helpful info from one of the guys on the list about the car...so I think I'll keep looking.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Last yr I walked into FofO, chris ther, no longer works there, but you can ask Marco. They had a 93 0r 94 blk on blk speciale, it was number 27 i think. I saw the car it was mint. Never tracked, and had complete books and service from Maranello. This car only had 2 owners and had 15k on the dial and they were asking 100 for it. Im not sure if they sold it but it was on consignment from a good customer. Call Marco and see if he can do some reseach...the blk one you saw, im sure Tom told you the goods, I know that car also...its way over priced.And you can't follow the history to well for half the life. Im sure it will find a loving home, but not at that price.Call Fof O and see what they can do..feel around...be patient...took me 4 yrs to find my TR.

9. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Don't know who told you of this "Challenge" grille, but those grilles were NEVER seen on the 348 Challenge cars. Looks to me it's simply added on the car by a former owner with bad taste. It's very strange also that the original top is missing also. You're probably right in walking away from this one!
    Good luck in searching the right car for you! Keep us in touch...
    Grtz

10. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    walk away.....seems like the dealership is feeding you bs aswell.....

11. 996

996 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Greater Toronto Area
    Thanks for all the good advice.
    I'll probably call FofO and see what they have in their back pockets. I'm just a bit reserved about calling them as they seem to have a reputation of asking top dollar for all their cars...but I guess all dealers have that reputation.
    I'll keep looking...I am patient...but everytime I see a picture of a Ferrari...it just makes me think...."it could be mine..."

12. NOCAR

NOCAR Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    There was one in Vancouver in 2000 with 425km on the dial.
    115k. Gone now but could pop up again with a few thousand on it.
    This car was brand new, 30mi done, tubi/stock, alarm, stereo/amp, K-40 etc...
    If you wanted a Speciale, this was your wet dream. I will PM you if I can track it down.

13. 996

996 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Greater Toronto Area
    Wow! 425km?!!! but...$115K...that's into 355 territory. No offense...but I can't justify $115K for a 348...that's about 2 times what they are going for in the US (moderate mileage ones). Since its 2004 now...I can bring 2 up next year from the US for that price. Sure, those are not Speciale and are not near new...but 2X the price is hard to justify.
    Regardless...I appreciate your help...may be he's now a "motivated" seller and the price would have dropped into the $90K's.

14. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Try Autofourm, they have a 92 348 yellow which is very clean. tbow might know that car. FoO is very helpful...agree about the pricing but all dealers are that way. Be calm, alot of nice cars out there.

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    GL delivered a brand new black 348 Speciale and it had a "chrome look" grill like the example pictured. It seems black cars got a different grill as the other color cars got the normal black grill. These cars were created to counter soft sales at that time.
    CH

16. kimbel

kimbel Rookie

Sep 30, 2004
    Hello boys! I have the car in Barrie Ontario (traded a boat for it). It is quite spectacular. Minor detailing perhaps, minor. Love the car, but not something that I am as passionate about as you fellas. Looking to make a deal. Plenty of paperwork. It is coded as #99 of 100 (If Gretzky owned it could he take to Barret-Jackson and get big bucks???). email [email protected] for pics.

17. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Hello and Welcome to this forum. It's a little to late to plug the 348 because one has been found for our friend here 996. But we will all keep your 348 in mind ;) I see it all the time in the Auto Trader and looks nice.

Thanks for the advertisment.

Vasco.R

P.S: Oh and Kimbel, you have mail.

18. kimbel

kimbel Rookie

Sep 30, 2004
    #18 kimbel, Sep 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I think it had 4000kms on it this past summer

20. 996

996 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Greater Toronto Area
    Looks like a nice car. Didn't Kennedy Auto Marine have this one for a while? I noticed it was for sale last year for $99K...then dropped to $89K, then back up to $99K...a bit steep I thought at the time. I've looked everywhere for a good 348 and finally found a good Spider in April.
    Good luck on your sale on this one...the right buyer will appreciate it. Unfortunately there's a few 348s out there that are listed in the $70-80K range...and they haven't been selling. I know these ones are not as nice as yours...but it doesn't help your cause as people always look at the cheaper ones as a comparison.
    Good luck...enjoy the car...it'd be a waste if you just "flipped" it without enjoying it.

996 (BTW, I no longer have a 996...but I thought I'd keep my nickname anyways).

21. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I see you finally sold it eh? ;) Cool, it should, it's a great car.

22. 996

996 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Greater Toronto Area
    Yeah...the 996 is gone. I kind of miss it though...it was a great car to boot around in....not too flashy, but you still get the looks from ``car people``. Now i`m just booting around in an A6...big difference...even with the 4.2 300HP engine.
    But...The Ferrari is still where my heart is...