XWX tyres. | FerrariChat

XWX tyres.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 365boxer, Sep 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I have a 365 boxer that has not been used fot 14 years. The tyre look good tread and side wall condition, they look round and spin true. what do you all think. I still have plenty of resto work to do and think i should add tyres to my shopping list.

2. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    yes, buy tires now!

Finding XWX's for the rear is an issue, Coker does not carry them. You have to get them out of the UK... Let me know if you need any help.

Keep XWX's, that are great and the car looks awful with modern tires.

3. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Buy New tires.... I bought my 328 last year, it is a 1988 and it only had about 6k miles on it with the original tires. The tires had plenty of tread and the sidewalls looked good. BUT, the rubber in the tires were hard, i had zero traction on the streets even though there was a lot of tread. I lost control a few times going around a corner with them. So, i went and bought new Goodyear F1 tires and the handling was a thousand times better. So, i would say just buy new tires, there the cheap part of Ferrari ownership and will help a lot....

4. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    The 365 Boxer has the same size wheels/tires in the rear as in the front. So if you want to keep it original, you can get all of your XWXs from Coker. I did this for my 365 Boxer this spring and it looks great. However, they are very expensive at $390 per tire.

5. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr

Ok, I am a Daytona Guy, so I may be off a bit here but we just put XWX's on my best friends 512BB

the wheels are different front to rear so we had to get the proper tires from England.

so maybe this is the difference between a 512BB and a 365BB?

Ok, beat me up on this one!

6. AFire

AFire Karting

Jun 1, 2004
    Hello,

Michelin XWX tires are the best choice, they are worth every $ (or EURO).

Best regards,

AFire

7. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The rears on a stock 512BB are 225 70 15 XWX, a size and profile should be the same with different brands what different about XWX's?

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#8 dm_n_stuff, Oct 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Replace 'em, don't drive on them.

They are bound to be too hard and slippery compared to new XWX's from Coker, or any other modern tire.

I think the P4000 Pirelli's would look ok on your car, and would certainly serve you until you wanted to pony up the $1700 or so required to buy 5 of the XWX's. I've seen the P400 on several vintage cars and they look very good.

The last two shots are of cars with the P4000's

I have Sumitomo's on my 246GT. The look good, and run very well at speed. Finding a 70 series tire with an appropriate speed rating will be difficult if you don't go with the XWX.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'm glad to see people sticking up for the XWXs!

We discussed this a while ago, specifically regarding 330 GTs:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800

They are indeed pricey, but they look great, and really add to the period feel of Ferraris.

10. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
  11. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  12. Antonf

Antonf Rookie

Feb 16, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Anton Freiesleben
    A pitty Michelin does'nt offer XWX in soft compound since most of us suffer from old stiff rubber years before the tyres are worn out. Assume soft rubber compound would allow better grip for say 6-8 years. My Dino was serius dangerous on old XWX slipping in the front when conering (NOT FUN...). BR Anton/Denmark