Silverstone dropped from next year's F1 calendar | FerrariChat

Silverstone dropped from next year's F1 calendar

Discussion in 'F1' started by GrigioGuy, Sep 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    (09-30) 09:40 PDT LONDON (AP) --

The British Grand Prix has been dropped from the provisional calendar of Formula One races for next year, media reports said Thursday.

Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone, who has been a fierce critic of the Silverstone track, had given the circuit's owners -- the British Racing Drivers' Club -- until Thursday to meet his financial demands.

The two sides were reported to be around $4.8 million apart on the cost of rights to stage the race.

Reports on BBC TV, Sky TV and the Press Association said the race, which took place before 100,000 fans last year and was first staged at Silverstone in 1950, had been dropped from the 2005 schedule.

The provisional calendar goes before FIA's world motor sport council in Paris on Oct. 13.

2. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    see UK thread for opinions

Bernie should be castrated, hung drawn and quartered and then banished! Its time an alternative to this meglomanic was found!

3. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Really ashame, what a beautiful track and what history. Enjoy those Cigs at Bahrain Bernie.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It's unthinkable that Britain does not have a GP so I assume Bernie is just out there playing power games. There might even be no UK GP in 05, but that would be just to create some pressure.

BRDC and Bernie have a long and acrymonious relationship. And quite frankly Silverstone lacks a lot of today's F1 standards.

Personally I'd love to see the race move into London, maybe that's part of the discussion/thread as well. But I'm not loosing sleep over either proposal, there will be a UK GP again. No question.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Very sad day for F1. F1 needs history ... otherwise it is just another race series that started last week.

Silverstone is a great track ... just the access and red carpet is not rolled out for Bernie. These things are fixable, BUT the most important thing is the track ... and the history.

:( for Silverstone and Jackie Stewart ... Bernie has to go!

Pete

6. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just cant imagine not having a British GP...
    It was always one of my dream to go catch it at Silverstone. Pete's right.
    All the facilites and services are all one big wank, its the history that counts..

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Trouble is, i suspect Bernie's right and the BRDC IS run like a gentlemen's club , which as we all know, has no place in Ecclestone's world.I'm saddened , but not surprised that UK Govt declined to help out, seeing as every other Grand Prix country recieves some kind of Govt support. I also find it a bit a naughty of BRDC to complain about losing Grand Prix when they declined to raise funds against the 800 acres of prime countryside they were given free of charge 50 yrs ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2004/10/01/smhay01.xml&sSheet=/sport/2004/10/01/ixsporttop.html

8. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good points Tony.
    Im saddened that these issues just come down to politics....
    It should be about the Fans, the passion, the drivers and mainly the sport.
    It shouldnt be about $$ because there is more than enough of that in F1.
    This sucks big time. Fans all over the world are hurt and shocked at this news.
    It wouldnt surprise me if Monaco is next on the list........

9. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    F1 seems to be on a suicide mission. The last few years have seen the reputation of F1 tarnished again and again. There was Prost GP folding, Arrows missing sessions and Gp's before finally folding, the farce at Austria and Indy '02, the loss of Bernie's F1 TV Channel, Max's retirement and U-turn, Ford deciding to quit and Renault seriously considering it. After every PR disaster I sort of hoped that the powers that be (Max, Bernie, and the team owners) would wake up and realise that there is a problem and only they can solve it. Costs are escalating as income is falling. More teams will leave and we'll probably lose more historic circuits.
    I wonder what F1 will look like in 5 years time? I also wonder if anyone will care?
    Max needs to stop announcing radical changes and then bowing to the team bosses wills and diluting them. It's time for Max to lay his reputation on the line and dictate to the teams and Bernie. Bernie should be paid less than he currently is. As the team's incomes have fallen, he's managed to look after his. Max needs to come up with a Formula that means we will see the fastest cars in the world on the most historic circuits. He also needs to create a formula where you don't need to spend fortunes to be competitive. Sure, some teams will always have more money than others, but that shouldn't make it impossible for a smaller team to finish on the same lap once in a while.
    The writing has been on the wall for sometime now. Unfortunately the people that need to read it have been on the wrong site of the wall in their hospitality suites so they couldn't read it!

10. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I agree Andreas. Look at what happened with the loss of Spa and Montreal recently. There unfortunately is too much at stake financially (and I meant that in a negative sense.) Our sport is a victim of its own success.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I wouldnt be too concerned about this. Year after year we read about how the British GP at Silverstone will be off the schedule for the next season. The sponsors and teams all scream, someone finds the funding at the last moment which makes Bernie happy and and, low and behold, Silverstone is back on the schedule again in January.

BHW

12. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff

fingers crossed!

13. Anthony_Ferrari

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    I think it's a bit different this time. I'm sure that the 2005 British GP won't happen. Bernie seems determined to play hardball on this one. We'll have to wait and see if any money is found for 2006 and beyond.

14. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Silverstone may not have the facilities that many other tracks have, it does however have something few current tracks have, a good layout with plenty of places to overtake and actually race.
    Its all well and good making sure that Fred and Doris can park and buy the correct sponsored brand of snack food easily, but Ecclestone has forgotten that people go to the track to watch the racing not to enjoy the ambience, Motor SPORT is just that a SPORT not a money making scheme for a megalomaniac dwarf...................... and as for the UK governments decision not to help out, they had no problem spending billions on invading Iraq yet they cant find £2m a year to help local business make £40m, oh well that’s what you get for voting in a failed musician and a fat waiter….

15. JTranfield

JTranfield Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    NYC, London
    Full Name:
    J Tranfield
    Silverstone is a piece of crap track. Overpriced facilities, terrible parking and rude staff. Its amazing this hasn't happened before. Yes there should be a British GP but please use a different track. Have you guys ever been there?
    It really is bad, every time I go all the people I talk to are big time pissed off compaired to all the other venues. Same applies to World Superbikes etc.

16. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG

17. JTranfield

JTranfield Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    NYC, London
    Full Name:
    J Tranfield
    Only a Ducati track day and that was great. Yes the track is very good from a racing/participant point of view but if you provide medieval facilites to fans that is not enough. Last time I went to world superbikes the stands were closed with no advance notice the place was 6 inches deep in water, you couldn't even find a place to see the action. All my friends who have been there lately tell me stories of taking 4 hours etc to get out of the parking lot etc. I just feel fans have been mistreated/ripped of at this circuit for years and they have been threatened for years to get their act together. Prehaps this happening will finally get them to improve the place.

18. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    I would be sorry to see silverstone dropped from the schedule, didn't F1 also race at another track in England, Brandshatch???

19. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Silverstone was probably the world's worst F1 track. I hope they never return to F1 racing at Silverstone.

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That's your view ... and since we have so many that just love to jump on the 'negative' Silverstone sucks bandwagon, heck lets get rid of it, when all that is wrong with it is a lot of OFF track stuff that 'yep' amazingly can be fixed!

Without Silverstone British motorracing would not be where it is today. Probably still be going around in pathetic circles at Brooklands ...

I can think of lots worse tracks where the racing sucks ... like Monza, Melbourne, Hungoraring, the new Nurburgring, etc.

Personally (like I said in this post http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134449510&postcount=21) this is another example of Poms lying over and playing dead, and playing lets all knock something when its down ... instead of regrowing some backbone and getting off their arse and MAKING it the best damn track and facilities in the world. Joining the BRDC is the first step ... Jackie Stewart needs some support (poor man trying to save your motor racing by himself)!

Pete

21. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Monza, Melbourne, Hungoraring and Nurburgring are all top class tracks which have great potential for the future.

Silverstone was a "gentlemens" club that was living in the past. Guess what Jackie Sterwart? The past does not pay the bills anymore. The British in general have failed to keep up with the changing times. So keep worrying about you past and your history. While the rest of F1 goes on to new and improved tracks with a better outlook for the future.

Exactly! Jacke stewart tried to save Silverstone by himself. he refused outside assistance. Stick with your Union Jack, your great history and suffer without a F1 race!

22. Anthony_Ferrari

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    You are joking right? Can you find any sane F1 fan or team member who actually has anything positive to say about these tracks?

Silverstone is a great track, but so is Laguna Seca. Maybe being a great track isn't enough. Any championship that can omit Spa, but include the Hungaroring is a bit of a joke anyway.

23. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually I have to agree with all your points here. And I agree that Silverstone could be fixed. I just think that if you want to spend that amount of money it is better invested in Brands Hatch. And if you don't have the money to spend, you're better off having the race in downtown London than not at all. What is positive about Silverstone is that it usually produces good racing. But so did Brands Hatch.