North Alabama Fall Foliage Drive & Cave Tour - Sat Oct 16 | FerrariChat

North Alabama Fall Foliage Drive & Cave Tour - Sat Oct 16

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Mike C, Aug 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    How's this date look to you folks?

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think I can make that! Thanks.

3. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    I'm there! Hopefully in a C5 Vette this time. Going to be selling the Steeda Stang pretty soon. :)

4. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Sounds like a lot of fun! I think I can make that!

5. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    The current plan to to make the point of departure (and return) the Radisson Hotel in Huntsville on South Memorial Parkway (Hwy 231). I know the Nashville folks are familiar with it, as are some of the Atlanta folks who have been here for events in the past, and we've never had any problems leaving Ferraris in their parking lot overnight.

The hotel's website, including info and maps is at
    http://www.radisson.com/huntsvilleal

Saturday morning we'll meet in the parking lot at 8:15am (that's CENTRAL time) and leave the lot at 8:30am sharp. Maps and directions for the leisurely but winding drive to the cave will be provided. Alternatively, if you just want to meet us at Cathedral Caverns for the 10am tour (more info at http://huntsville.about.com/cs/attractions/a/cathedralcavern.htm and http://www.grantchamberofcommerce.com/cathedral_caverns.htm) then that's fine too.

For those of you coming in on Friday night and who would like to meet for dinner or dessert, let me know.

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
  7. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    We plan on being there - looking foward to seeing everyone!

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The Radisson appears to be sold out for that Friday night. I just made a reservation at the Hampton.

9. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    The cotton is starting to blossom here, and hopefully it won't be harvested before we do our drive. It really looks striking!

10. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I drove the route this morning and checked the directions to make sure they're right in case someone gets separated from the caravan. I'll also bring some FRS radios to loan out -- if you have your own it will need to include SUB-CHANNELS, as we have all the club radios set to 3-08 :) Plain channel 3 won't pick it up.

The inside of the cave is 60 degrees F year-round, so keep that in mind -- you might want a light jacket. Also, the state park there doesn't take credit cards, so you'll need to pay them the $8 tour fee by cash or check.

For you "locals" that want an idea of the route, it's included here as a PDF file.

11. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    That didn't seem right (they do most of their bookings for business travelers during the week) so I called them. They'd had some problem with their website... they DO have availability and now it does show up on their website for Friday Oct 15.

12. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    Just checked the Radisson. The only rooms left are $136; they are just about sold out.

Made a reservation at the Hampton next door for $80 with AAA...

Too bad Lane doesn't still manage Hampton Inns; we could have gotten a free stay. Of course, if she still managed a Hampton she'd never be able to get the time off to go on the trip! Catch 22

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    How many people and cars are expected?

Weather should be clear but cool. The cars ought to like that!

14. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    I think this sounds like a ton of fun. Do you have to be a FCA member to attend. Good buddy is thinking about buying a Ferrari, im trying to get him to take the plunge.

15. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Bring him along! This is one of our "Ferraris and Friends" events where it's open to non-members (and even non-Ferraris).

Mike

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    When I get to town on Friday, I plan to eat dinner at "Ol' Heidelberg". Any of you who want to join me are welcome to.

I expect to get to the restaurant at about 7 PM (CDT). For the uninitiated, it's on the south side of University Drive (US-72), just west of Rideout Road (AL-255), which is a freeway. I'll probably be wearing my grey t-shirt from the FerrariChat Monterey gathering.

(And as I tell people, you don't have to be a rocket scientist (hint!) to know why you can get good German food in Huntsville.)

17. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I've got a small "Ferrari Club bonus" for all FCA members who attend on Saturday!

18. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    Whats the weather report? Its been kinda rainy here the last week...Im going to try to make it...I have to be back in Bham at 2pm so I have to see if that is feasible...I really want to go

19. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Weather projection is PERFECT: "Mostly Sunny, high of 67" -- you can check it at
    www.weather.com/weather/local/35803?lswe=35803

You'll easily be able to be back in Birmingham by 2pm if you head back after the cave tour by a somewhat more direct route than the longer route we'll be taking for fun. But the route we're taking on the way TO the cave will still be full of fun and twisties too, so you'll still be able to enjoy the morning caravan!

Mike

20. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I had no clue how beautiful the Scotsboro area is, I just went to GoosePond to look at a boat, then down to another small town, Gunterville. I had no idea...that ridge on 35 when you come over down and see the river was awsome.

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Had a great time, Mike; thanks for setting this up. The driving was great, the cave was remarkable, and the lunch was enjoyable. Too bad we didn't have more cars........

22. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    That was a fun drive. Going up those mountains was better than espresso!

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Nice pics, Crawford!

Parked as we were, we must have looked like the Blue Angels (or, more appropriately, the Frecce Tricolori) taxiing out for takeoff when we peeled our way out of that parking lot!

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Here are my few pics: