Dino vent window latches | FerrariChat

Dino vent window latches

Discussion in '206/246' started by Daryl, Sep 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    The vent window latch on the driver's side has gone missing from my Dino Spyder. Anyone have an opinion on the best source for replacements? Thanks.

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

3. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I was told by the shop that resprayed my Dino to leave them off. I have both sides. I was told that the glue doesn't hold well and they will fall off. And then you'd be left with a vent window with a circle of glue.

What are other Dino owners' experiences with these little things? Do they stay on?

Thanks,

Manny

4. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    It's true, the bonded latches don't hold. My car's previous owner had the latches in an envelope in the glovebox. I glued them back on with the usual rearview mirror adhesive and simply never latched them, avoiding any stress on the latch. While out at Concorso in August I parked the Dino in front of the hotel and paid the valet to "watch" it. I noticed the latch missing the next day. I suspect someone may have tried to do me a "favor" and latch the window, with the latch coming off in their hand. (Could have at least left my the latch!)

Thanks for the sources. I'll chase one down over the winter.

5. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

There's some on Ebay now...Ferrari Dino window latches, item number 7925768053.

worth a look.

6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    mine are off my car and residing in the glove box. they do not hold. i have seen more than one car modified. one had a new glass insert that allowed for a solid latch (through the latch), the other had a sliding mechanism that was nicely executed. this issue has come up many times before. i figure that i never going to park my dino where it would matter that the car is 100% secured anyway, so what is the point of trying to theft proof the car anyway. the daytona's have the same problem.

7. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    I tried epoxy, fell off the third day. tried crazy glue, fell off the next week.
    The other side has never came off, so it is possible. I might try again with steel fibre epoxy.

Don't worry, you can easily remove all the glue with a razor blade.

8. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#8 dm_n_stuff, Oct 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You need to be a little careful gluing and using the latches. I had my passenger latch actually take some of the glass with it when it came off for the prior owner.

The best arrangement I've seen involves making a wrap around bracket and getting it chromed.

One of these days I'm gonna get a set or two fabricated, and sell them to all of you guys, too.

Here's a picture.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have owned 5 different Dinos through the years, it wasnt until the last one that I figured out the Answer... Tape a dime to the vent window exactly where the latch mount will adhere.....then mask off the area surrounding the dime to about a 3 inch radius....carefully remove dime and with 600 wet/dry paper, stroke the exposed area lightly ,just enough to put some teeth into the glass so that the glue has something to hold onto.also put some teeth into the contact patch of the latch...A small dab of 2 stage 5 minute clear Epoxy will do the trick and the wetness of the glue will fill in any minor abrasions that the sand paper made on the glass. It worked for me.
    Good Luck.

10. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.

11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I tried the wet/dry sanding, followed by 2 part epoxy, in my case, JB Weld, which worked like a charm. I actually had a fairly large chunk out of my window glass, filled it with JB Weld, let that set for a couple of minutes, then affixed the latch.

Holding like a charm.

(Keeping fingers crossed.)