Jacksonville Spotter | FerrariChat

Jacksonville Spotter

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Xanadu, Sep 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Xanadu

Xanadu Rookie

Jul 23, 2004
    Jacksonville, FLA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Specific to Jax & Orange Park, over the last 8 months I've spotted these:

Red/Tan 575M on U.S. 17 at Dr.'s Inlet Bridge in O.P.

Red/Tan 575M at movie theatres on Philips Hwy @ Avenues.

Yellow 360 Modena on Kingsley Ave. in O.P. (Max's ???).

Red/Tan 348 Spyder on San Jose at University (Lakewood).

Yellow 355 Spyder in San Marco heading downtown.

Black 360 Modena on San Jose turning onto Haley in Mandarin.

Red 512 TR in O.P. at I-295 & on Blanding

Red 328 on U.S. 17 south approaching Venecia area.

Yellow Diablo VT Roadster (Purcell's Motorcycle/Marine Owner)

Deep Blue Diablo VT (?) seen several times at Koko's Japanese Steakhouse on SR 220 in Fleming Island (Orange Park)

For a hick, redneck town, maybe we are finally getting somewhere. Jags 3-0 ??? Who would have ever thought THAT!

2. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    #2 Eric308gtsiqv, Sep 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Scott....great to hear from you again. Hope you didn't get too much damage from the hurricanes!

Your right, the number of Ferrari's seems to be gradually growing here in Jax area. Of the cars you mentioned...

--Red/Tan 575M on U.S. 17 at Dr.'s Inlet Bridge in O.P.
    --Red/Tan 575M at movie theatres on Philips Hwy @ Avenues.

This was most likely Dr. Moon and his car (from Jax).

---------------------------------------------------------

--Red 328 on U.S. 17 south approaching Venecia area.

This was most likely Gary and his car (from Fleming Isle)

---------------------------------------------------------

--Yellow Diablo VT Roadster (Purcell's Motorcycle/Marine Owner)

Yep, that's Mr. Purcell.

------------------------------------------------------------

--Deep Blue Diablo VT (?) seen several times at Koko's Japanese Steakhouse on SR 220 in Fleming Island (Orange Park)

Don't know the owner's name (older gentleman), but have seen him and his wife in the car on several occasions. Lives in Eagle Harbor -- my brother-in-law has met the owner at his house and looked at the car in his garage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

--Yellow 360 Modena on Kingsley Ave. in O.P. (Max's ???).

Right again, that is Max. Keep a good lookout for him in his new '04 TDF Blue/tan 360 Spider 6-speed that he just had delivered about a month ago. Had the opportunity to go over to his place when it was delivered, and see it unloaded off the truck. Beautiful car!! BTW, he still has the yellow 360 too. He bought his wife an awsome Mercedes SL55 Kompressor recently too (black). In addition to the yellow Hummer H2, etc., etc. :)....

Here's a pic of his new Spider:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As for the other cars you mentioned, I haven't seen them yet.

Do know of a couple of 308 owners in Ortega and Mandarin. Also, there's another supposedly 700hp Diablo out in the Deerwood area, and he's posted a few times on Lambo-Talk.

Now that the hurricanes have blown by, I'm looking forward to getting out and driving mine as well. Go Jags!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Xanadu

Xanadu Rookie

Jul 23, 2004
    Jacksonville, FLA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hey Again Eric,

Thanks for the reply. The Red/Tan 348 Spyder at Lakewood area on San Jose I just saw last night (9/28) while sitting in the parking lot at Atlanta Bread Co. Dude looked to be in 30's or early 40's, top was down.

The Yellow 355 Spyder was approx. 2 weeks ago. I was coming down off of the Acosta Bridge to Prudential & saw it turn from San Marco onto Prudential then down to Main St. & up the main St. Bridge. Now from still sitting at the light at Prudential from the off ramp, I could still hear this 355 screaming as it went up the Main St. Bridge; quite a distance away. Very nice exhaust.

Mr. Purcell live out here with us in OP or Fleming Island? He's past me a few times on 17/Park Ave. in OP in the mornings & took 295 towards Purcell's biz.

Would love to get with you & Max some time if you would allow.

Best,

scott

4. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Will have to keep an eye out for the 348 and 355.

Yes, Mr. Purcell lives (last I heard) off Drs. Lake Drive (between Kingsley and College). He used to be a next-door neighbor to one of our old clients that passed away a while back (ever hear of the Drawdy's -- local builder?).

Haven't heard from Max lately, but I'll give him a call soon and give you a heads up.

Dr. Moon used to post here on F-Chat a while back under the EnzoMoon handle, but haven't heard from him since the new forum software upgrade.

Gary (328 owner) used to lurk here as well, and even sent me an e-mail in response to one of the threads...but that's been at least a year ago.

Any other "locals" out there lurking here on F-Chat?

5. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Oops, now that I think about it....I've never seen the 575M before around town! Don't know who that could be.

Dr. Moon, IIRC, owns a 512M (and another F-car as well).

Sorry for the confusion on my part.

6. Xanadu

Xanadu Rookie

Jul 23, 2004
    Jacksonville, FLA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hey Eric, When I was a kid, like 14, I rode my bike about 6 miles to Charles A. Perry Company on Lakeshore Dr. in Ortega area. Mr. Perry was a Ferrari nut and I took all these pics of his cars (maybe I should scan & post them here??? Would not be much of a prob.) At 14, I was in total awe. He told me too have a seat in them and take all the time I wanted. I did, and would you believe, I kid you not, the keys were always left in the ignition. Swear! I have pics with his two 512 Boxers, yeah Ba-Babee, together. One was I believe an '80, red/tan BBi. The other was like a '78, silver/black BB, but was a freaking Koenig BB. He also had a red 308, then a red 328, and a Porsche 911. I remeber him asking me into his office and what we talked about I just don't remember, but what I do remember was that the guy was like an avid big game hunter. I remember these monster elephant feet on the floor of his office. Elephant feet! At the time I thought, "Woooe! Cool!" Now, I think, "Dang, what a shame. What a pitiful shame." Beautiful creatures they are. Just don't piss 'em off. Anyway, I go by there every now and then, and I guess he maybe passed away and the cars were sold. He was maybe 60 then I think. I remember he had sons, so maybe they took over the biz.

Best,
    scott

7. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Wow Scott....that's refreshing to hear that people such as Mr. Perry would share his passion for the marque with the youth. You must have been on "cloud 9" that day! That's quite a collection he had too!

Personally, I've never heard of him or the cars until now -- it's amazing what people have hidden away in their garages.

I do know of a guy by the name of Stan Gill who lives in Ortega, and owns an early model 308 (GTB?) black / black. He used to live down the street from me back in the early 90's when we lived out in Foxmeadow near Middleburg -- and at the time he owned both the 308 and a red 512BBi. He had a diecast dist. company about a 1/2 mile down the road on Old Jennings from Foxmeadow called "Racing Collectables" IIRC. He often drove the 308 to work, and left it parked out front along the road. I would stop on occasion and look it over. The day he passed me in it (while I was driving my lowly '85 Fiero) is when the Ferrari passion really took hold. :)

He has since sold the 512BBi -- perhaps he purchased it originally from Mr. Perry (?) -- who knows.

Another former F-Chatter by the name of Rob (H20quik) is good friends with Mr. Gill (used to work with him and his diecast co.). Rob has an early model 308 also; and, last I heard, he was going to repaint it yellow / black int. He lives in Mandarin.

Come to think of it, Jax/OP/MB for it's sheer size, is truly a "small world".

8. Xanadu

Xanadu Rookie

Jul 23, 2004
    Jacksonville, FLA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Small world indeed.

I thought you might like that story. Yeah, I remember I was beyond "cloud 9". I vaguely remember Mr. Perry lighting up a stoge (which BTW, if you & Max let me hook up with you sometime for a ride, I'll bring us some nice Partagas Blacks, Padrons or El Rey de Mundos if interested). Seems like we talked more about business stuff than Ferraris, but at 14, why would he have done that, unless just to get me thinking in the right direction. Ya know, talking about this, I might just run past that office building & drop in with my pics. What a shock that might be for them. Those were taken approx 22 yrs ago now. I'd guess Mr. Perry would be in his late 70's or early 80's now, if still alive. The cars were kept very often in the back warehouse of the place. I think the business has something to do with importing.

~NOTE~
    Hmmm, I just pulled out the pics, I can see my first car in the background, which was my mom's white Datsun 510 station wagon, but I'm sure it was before the car was given to me. I must have been 16 and borrowed it. But the colors were reversed. The red/tan was the Koenig. Has shields and gold wheels. Also has a wing. Interesting though, both cars have Euro tags on them. Yet, I know the cars were in his possession for quite some time.

Maybe I'll try to find out what happened to them soon.

Best,

scott

9. Gary328

Gary328 Rookie

Nov 8, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary Schram
    Hey Eric and Scott, Gary here (Red 328). Still lurking around. Lots of travel. Not home too much. I did not realize so many Ferrari's were in the area! There is also another guy with a Red 328 I saw on 17 by NAS Jax. Older gent. Real nice looking car.

Best,
    Gary

10. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Hey there Gary...great to hear from you again!

The Tifosi crowd is growing around these parts....this isn't just a Porsche town anymore :)

All us Ferrari guys are going to have to meet up sometime for a drive or something....

11. Xanadu

Xanadu Rookie

Jul 23, 2004
    Jacksonville, FLA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I second that motion. Uh, BTW, can I bum a ride with someone?

Hey Gary! Sup Eric?

scott
    www.critistaff.com

ps, think we can run ole Brumos outta town? Ehh, probably not yet huh?

12. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Hey, I just remembered another guy in Jax who owns a '78 512 BB -- he has posted here on F-Chat recently looking for a reputable mechanic -- his F-Chat handle is "cap3" -- here's the link to the thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30894

So now we can add another owner to the list :)

13. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    Yes, you recalled correctly.... my good friend Dr. Moon has a pristine F512M(red/tan) and also a pristine 550 Maranello(TDF Blue/dove gray), both of which I have professionally detailed. Dr. Moon drives his 550 an a daily basis, and according to him, it is the PERFECT daily driver !!!!!! Forza Ferrari !!!!