Archive Search Nazis (ASN's) | FerrariChat

Archive Search Nazis (ASN's)

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 410SA, Oct 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Why is it that when anyone asks a question at least 5 ASN's jump down his thread with asinine comments like "search the archives!!!" or useless drivel about killing kittens etc...?

This is a forum - by definition a place to discuss things. I'm pretty sure that everything that is possible to be discussed regarding Ferrari's has been brought up somewhere in FChat somewhere in the past. Does that mean that FChat should be closed to new threads? Searching the archives will get you the info you need? Whatever happened to discussion whenever a subject arises?

I suggest that the aforementioned ASN's should search the archives whenever someone asks a question and post a link to the relevant thread rather than abusing the poster.

2. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Alex

Love the stable by the way.

Couldn't agree more - I think quite a few new members on the board have been scared away by this 'heavy handed' approach.

Doesn't happen too much on our side of the pond - no dead kittens/puppies in the Uk - Yet!:D

Finally a serious comment - if your ever 'seeking opportunities' in the UK - let me know.

Cheers Kevan
    :) See you down the road - with huge grins on both our faces :)

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

this is a great thread, i think some folks should remember that some new members with " no profiles" may not speak or type English as thier main language, and they may not be accustomed to " The Internet Way" of doing things. cold typed words on the screen lack the body language and voice inflection we use in face to face communication or phone. they typed word can come across as cold, harsh and overbearing, when the intention was only to inform, not "Command". i have seen a few new guys questions and been amazed at how "I" took the responses to be, ie unwelcoming and uninviting.
    Mr Papas has a great point, " we " should be more welcoming, though a profile is a BIG BIG help in answering most questions, as location ect can have a great effect on the advice given.

4. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    On the other hand, when you have a question about something, it's pretty basic common sense to do a search before asking. It's reasonable to assume that a question you have about something that they've made thousands of has been asked by someone else before and there may be information that you can use RIGHT NOW. When I come to Fchat with a question, I ask myself, "Is this something so obscure and odd that it's not likely to have been encountered by anyone else since the dawn of the internet age?" If the answer isn't "yes" I'll do a search. That way I can move on with what I'm trying to make happen and don't pester the board with the 90th thread this year about "Can I use synthetic oil in my car?", etc.
    bah, humbug!

5. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    I agree. I find it amusing that people will take the time to respond with "REPOST!!!!!!!!!!!" rather than just ignoring the thread. Whenever I have read a thread that has been reposted, you always find individuals posting who have not heard the new information, or were not a part of the 'original' discussion.

As said previously, this is a discussion board. So what if someone wants to discuss a topic that has already been posted. Discuss it again. And if you cant stand the idea of the topic being brought up again (as painful as that might be) than just ignore it.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

100% with you. I dont find it very welcoming when a new member posts here and the first 10 replies are "search the archive ". It should be a pleasure to discuss most Ferrari related things..

7. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I agree , some people need to relax. I'm almost sure every thread can be "searched in the archives". Be nice folks ,lifes too short.

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    good point, perhaps only if the subject was just talked about very recently that people should say repost...even if was talked about a few months ago, people may have new insight on the same subject...i know my prespective and opinions are constantly changing based on new knowlegde and experiences....

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    This has been discussed before, check the archives.

:D

10. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    Alexpaps makes great points as have some others. Ownership and passion for Ferraris is a great thing and newer people should be encouraged and not put off.

I have done searches regarding questions and or issues I have or thought of. And at times the search has yield great information, but at times it has not. Also depending when the topic was last discussed is whether I ask if anything new has happened or someone has some new information that just recently occurred that has not been posted. One thing some need to think about before they respond. May be just may be the person asking a question that all of you have seen before has done a search and not gotten the answers they seek and is asking for all of our help.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

11. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I agree, no harm in a new discussion with new people on an old topic.

12. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    I know you hear it a lot, but DAMN you have a nice car. :)

13. ignacio

ignacio Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    annapolis md
    AMEN!!!!

14. Skindiver

Skindiver Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    JHB SA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I think this is great. I for one wince at reading so many apologetic intro's like i'm sorry if this has been covered before .. or I tried the search by couldn't find anything ... The poster is obviously frightened that he will be blasted for not digging and finding gold first and then not helped for his "blimming lazy attitude asking stupid questions".

One mans stupid question saves many others plenty bucks.

The suggestion that the poster is directed by link rather to an old thread covering the topic though is a good one.
    I would go one further though and Admin can splice the new inquiry with the old thread so not too many threads are created and the info is kept collated, much like i have seen done with the multiple hurricane Ivan ferrari's stuck in the mud thing.

PS. I also hate endings of "just my "2c " or its variants "0.2c" even 0.02c ( *sic) equally apologetic and whingy from battered and bruised posters

* 0.2c is one fifth of a cent. If one wants to grovel in decimals it should be 0.02$.

:) Skin.
    ( newbie ferrari chat nobody)

15. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I was just going to say the same thing!! That is a great color!

On subject...I've been thinking about this and have an idea. Why couldn't someone put together a little "Welcome to F-Chat Packet". Could easily be in the form of an e-mail directing new users to several threads on things such as...searching the archives (a how to with pic's??), an explanation of the subscriptions, a thread on appropriate postings (or F-chat code of conduct)....etc. etc. etc.

Seems like it should be pretty simple to make this an auto-reply when the person's account is activated.

Just my two cents...

Sorry Greg, I had to throw that in there just for a good laugh!!!

16. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan

Great Idea John

From the UK with my 2 pence worth ! :D

Cheers Kevan

17. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    Oi! 400SPYDER has nearly 500 quid in his skyrocket!

18. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Que' ! - In best spanish accent of Manuel (he's from Barcelona) in Fawlty Towers.

Cheers Kevan

19. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Search and Google are good things.

Here, Ali Haas has posted superb data on oils, and it is readily found in archives. The question is still asked bi-weekly, and Ali shouldn't have to repost it, it is a waste of bandwidth. I chnaged my philosophy/beliefs of oils based on his data

The ''Fiorano laptimes'' thread started today, again, has been posted TNTC. As has the idiotic ''what do you do'' threads.

It is common courtesy to look first, then ask. Unlike a conversation, there is a trail where we have been, and it is easily discovered. I still try to answer questions (do you?) but a search is still the best.

If you had a business acquaintance who always missed meetings and asked what happened, would you be so kind? If someone is new, they could do due diligence first, then if fruitless, ask.

Rather than ignore, or post a kitty/puppy(That's called humor), do you search for them and post a link?

Just a thought....

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    So I guess if I'm wondering about Royal Purple synthetic oil while asking about the current value of 308s and wanting to know what people will say about my car and at the same time concerned about where to work to pay for it all and worried if Zupra will ever make it to New Orleans then all I have to do is....

SEARCH??????

Cool, man! Everybody have a great week! Perfect driving weather in Texas on Goodyear is #1 in Racing! ;)

21. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The repost nazis irritate me a lot worse than people who bring up an old topic, I don't care what the web page or subject. Repost nazis, if it bothers you so freaking much, don't look at it.

22. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    There's two sides to every issue... and there are extremes and whole spectrums in the middle.

For example, there's people that post a question and then get upset that they get no answer other than a suggestion to search... why should 100 F-Chatters have to re-type in their answers to a question that they've already typed in (probably more than once)? That's not fair... that's a ton of work for the posters... compared to a trivial effort of doing a search. I find that attitude quite obnoxious. Worse, later when someone comes to FChat and kindly does a search, they are faced with a dozen threads on the same topic... rather than just one.

Similarly, if someone posts a poll on something that has been posted before, you're asking hundreds of F-Chatters to re-vote OR you're creating a poll that will only have newbie's votes... separate from the poll that has all the old-timer's votes. That then makes those that search for the answer have to grab a dozen similar polls and try to merge the results... but how do you merge? If you add, you might be wrong, because you don't know how many people bothered to vote in both.

In the bigger picture, it is much better for FChat if you would post your query in the existing thread on that topic. There's ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with re-asking a question... there may be many people who've never seen that question/issue... but do it in the existing thread!! Instead of posting a new poll, just post a reply to the existing poll asking for newbies to vote.

IOW, the issue is NOT that a topic comes up again... the issue is creating a new SEPARATE thread to raise that issue... just post to the existing thread, even if just saying "bump" or "asking again" or whatever.

Looking at another dimension of this issue... its one thing when you repost something that was last posted 2 years ago... its entirely another when you repost something that was posted 2 hours ago. There have been cases when there are 8 threads going on the same topic at the same time. That is just painful to try to follow. Why should 500 FChatters be faced with such difficulty in reading because 7 FChatters couldn't bother to look at the active threads before posting?

With all that said, as a moderator I do not "yell at" or "belittle" a poster for failing to search before posting. I simply point out that they may want to do a search because the info is out there... and I may close the thread with a link to the proper thread or merge threads as appropriate. I do that for the benefit of FChat as a whole... to help make reading Fchat as efficient as possible. Because, in the end, Fchat is best if we retain all the Ferrari experts... and we'll only retain them if we keep Fchat efficient to read.

So, with me and the other moderators doing that work... I don't think its too horrible for us to encourage Fchatters to not contribute to the problem needlessly. But I will agree that such "encouragement" should always be kind... failing to do a search is certainly not a reprehensible act... it just creates a bit more work for everybody else.

23. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree with you. All I'm saying is I think, for the most part, it's new people who are not familiar with the site asking the same basic questions. When I first started out here I didn't know that there were archives to search so I'd try a regular search and not find the answer to my question. Once I figured out Where and How to search I found all the answers I needed.

24. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    I was raised in the IT-community where the standard answer to *any* question from our own ASN's, have always been RTFM.
    RTFM = Read The Fcuking Manual

I DO try to search the archive before posting questions but sometimes the answer isn't easily found with the most obvious search arguments...

I like the posters who, together with the "this has been discussed before in thread xxxxxxx" also includes the answers the questions asked.

/Peter

25. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    I was raised in the user world where we say FRTM, fix this NOW. :D