Need help STAT! Radiator leak | FerrariChat

Need help STAT! Radiator leak

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by DBR328&330, Oct 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Hello,

I was going on a pleasant drive in my 330 GT 2+2 tonight when unavoidably a large tire shard came at me on the highway and went under the car with a fairly big bang. Drove home uneventfully (no rise in water temp) but noticed coolant dumping from front of radiator- it was a pin hole leak "peeing" horizontally. 2 hrs later the rad is still emptying itself on the floor- just dripping now. There is no visible dent in the rad.

There is a gathering tomorrow of Ferrari folk, many of whom a anxious to see the car, so if I cant drive it there it is a big disappointment for me. 60 miles away.

How safe is it to use a radiator stop leak product?

Can I realistically safely get the car to and from the party?

How durable is the fix? Will it still need professional attention?

No, I am not so desperate to risk ruining the engine, but if if I can fix it safely that would be great.

Thanks

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I've used JB Weld for fix small radiator leaks in the past. You'll have to decide if it's right for you, but you can pick it up at any auto parts place or hardware store. I don't have any experience with those stop leak products, but I wouldn't want any odd additives floating around my Ferrari engine.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Hi, Dan.

From one 330 owner to another, I'd play it safe. A 60 mile trip will get that water hot. Remember that the coolant system is pressurized, and an hour long ride could make the leak worse, or at the least spray coolant around the engine compartment.

I would definitely avoid any "stop-leak" additives.

I also wouldn't use JB Weld. Although it will work, it will make a proper repair more difficult. Once that suff's on, it's not easy to remove.

The best thing to do, of course, is to take it to a good radiator shop. Those guys solder and braze brass radiators all day long, and can most likely fix your leak without much of a problem, and without too much cost.

Take the 328 to the party, and bring pictures of the 330.

Good luck,

Matt

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i would not use those band aid fixes on a camaro, unless i was away from home and broke down somewhere. to use it on your 330 " just" to drive to a meet is NOT a good idea, in my opinion. BEWARE! that radiator sealer will do evil things to the passages in your block, heads and heater core. remove the radiator and have it properly fixed, be glad you got it home safely and there was no other damage. perhaps you could consider inviting the die hards fans to your home and have a ferrari party after the event, they will love the 328 and surely they will understand the 330 is not a car to rush repairs on. glad none of your body work was damaged!

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    By this time the replies are irrelevant anyway. I'll defend the JB Weld answer, as if you look at the timestamps and the scenario, you'll see he had a very short window to work with -- certainly not long enough to get the radiator correctly repaired.

Daniel, what did you end up doing?

6. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Thanks so much guys,

My instincts were to not do the temporary fix and this was confirmed by all of what you said. The next morning I called FOW to see what they would say, and of course they also told me not to do it. In fact they came to my house within 2 hours to pick it up- great sevice and Richard Cappocia who has alot of vintage experience I am sure will do a great job.

Unfortunately the belly pan received a 6 inch tear during the incident and I hope everything else is ok.

Dan