360 Battery Tender | FerrariChat

360 Battery Tender

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by phong69, Oct 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phong69

phong69 Karting

Aug 17, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Phong Nguyen
    Is anybody using a battery tender on their 360? How are you setting it up? Pics would be great.

2. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I had Algar hot wire it so it comes out of the front spoiler. It is tucked in out of the way until you need it.
    I will get off my ass and take a few shots asap

3. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Speed channel just had a segment on the Battery tender. I'm getting one. Just haven't done it yet. Got another 4-6 weeks before I take the car off the road. Do a search on Google. It will lead you to a company that sells it, and they will give you info about it. Or call the ferrari dealer in your area. I'm sure that they can help.

4. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have one wired right to the battery of my 360. There is a plug about a third way down the low amp wires between the tender and the battery. When it’s in use I leave the passenger window open for the wire and leave the tender outside of the car. When it’s unplugged I just tuck the end that is bolted to the battery terminals into the battery compartment behind the passenger's footwell. I love the things - they have kept my motorbike battery alive for ten years, and that’s great because normally a bike battery dies in eighteen months.
    I won't post any pictures - the wires, the tender, the battery and my car's interior are all black so there isn't much to see. On second thoughts just close your eyes: There! That's as good a picture from me gets!
    Kram

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Here is a repeat of a post of mine from some time ago....I suggest going through the cigarette lighter....

2) Get a battery tender, to keep your battery topped up with a full charge. Your battery will last much longer. This is the cheapest on-line source I have found: http://snipurl.com/7cod Then get a cigarette adapter plug from Radio Shack, and splice it onto one of the adapters and it will be very easy to connect/disconnect when you park in your garage (and you'll never forget to disconnect before driving off). http://snipurl.com/5rl7

6. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I did same as Kram. Just wire the supplied plug directly to battery and tuck away behind the passenger foot-well when not in use. Works great. Battery is always fully charged. I got the international (multi-input voltage) version of the Battery Tender. See maker's web site address below. It uses electronics to step down the house voltage to 12 volts so it's light weight unlike the old style transformer types.

http://batterytender.com/default.php?cPath=11_5&osCsid=808394503eb80a5f05399351a0bb94bb

7. ART360

ART360 Guest

I use the Porsche unit. Cost about 80.00, and you plug it into the lighter socket. Easy to use, has a long cord, so that the juice doesn't have to be close.

Art

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Cigarette Lighter input works great on F-cars. I use a "doubler" and I also put in a volt-meter so I can easily check it visually.

308QV setup:

9. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Our local Ferrari dealer installed a small cigarette style plug in the floor well behind the passengers seat/ drivers side in U.S. and this has a small plastic cap that covers it when not in use so that you cann hardly notice it. I have to plug my car in when not in use as the battery seems to discharge within about 3 days. I have had all tested but me thinks the battery is stuffed. The battery is a calcium battery which I have never seen before. Suggestions as to the best type of bvattery would be greatly appreciated. Regards Frari

10. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    What kind of crap you are using as a battery that you need a tender?!?

I NEVER ever had to buy a new battery.

I don´t have too much long time experience b/c most of my cars have been sold within 3 or 4 years. But in the case of my Alfa Spider I can say for sure that the battery is more than 8 years old. The car hasn´t been used on a frequent basis b/c during this time I lived 3 years abroad on another continent (read: the car was often for a couple of months not operative and no discharge occured). The car is on the outside in the winter (read: battery has been exposed to - 20°C).

Buy a decent battery such as Bosch or Varta and forget it for 10 years or so.

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

My Optima Redtop certainly doesn't need a tender. Phong, our climate in NC is way too mild kill a battery in the winter. With all those crisp clear days (with dry roads), get out and drive the car. It'll love sucking in the fresh cold air, the battery will stay charged, and the bits-n-pieces will stay nice 'n' lubed.

At the very least, just start the car each weekend and listen to it rumble in the garage for a little while. The sound and smell alone will make those winter blues just fade away.

-Daniel

p.s. Want to drive this coming weekend? Drop me a PM.