Replace broken boot (outer CV) on 348 | FerrariChat

Replace broken boot (outer CV) on 348

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gredinger, Sep 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gredinger

gredinger Karting

Feb 19, 2004
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter Gredinger
    How is this done?
    Is this an 'easy' job that you can do yourself?

Do you buy the new boot from Ferrari or is it a standard part that can be bought elsewhere?

Regards,
    Peter

2. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I just did mine on my 308 and don't know if yours is similiar. However, the best boot price I found was with Dennis Mc Cann, although T. Rutland was close. McCann's price for 308 boots was $55 for boots, clamps, and grease.

3. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c

little tip. when finishing up i always put wire tie wraps in the bellows of the boots. just snug them down not too tight. it helps keep the grease where it belongs.

4. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Was that for all four boots, if so I paid about the same in the UK, I believe they are the same as porche, and somebody told me thay were the same as VW GTI golf, from what I could see there is nothing special about them.
    The job is easy to do, the only issue is that the bolts are F****ing tight. Make sure that the Allen drive you have is good quality !

5. gredinger

gredinger Karting

Feb 19, 2004
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter Gredinger
    So I have to remove the complete drive shaft to get the boot of?
    Are there any loose parts that will fall out or that are difficult to remount or is it just straight forward (once the bolts are gone)?

6. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    'Fraid so, the shaft will have to come of, nothing should fall out ! The bolts as I said before are vvvvvvvvvvvvvery tight, but they do come apart. I would take this opportunity to clean the CV's and repack with fresh grease. It's not a difficult job, can be a bit messy, grease everywhere.
    There is a comment about cable ties, I am not too sure about that, I would have thought that they would rub if you put them in the concertina bits ? or am I mis understanding your comments

7. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Has anyone run across a split boot? One that was designed to go on and off without removing the axle? The split would have a flange and held together with a bunch of tiny nuts and bolts. Would save a lot of time. I've used them on old VW transaxles.

8. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Never heard of split boots, sounds like a great idea though so long as you could make an effective seal. Balance may be an issue if you have a sealing flange and or bolts etc. especially at the high speeds of the cars.

9. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    The only issue my 355 had when I put it through inspection was CV boots w/ approx. 1" slits. The dealer charged me, I think, $800.00 to replace them. I'll check the service ticket and post here if I'm incorrect.

10. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    There are split boots available of different sizes. I don't know exactly how they seal, but a friend of mine has used them as says they are fine. I suppose one would have to bring a Ferrari boot to match up, if any fit at all.

A tip on removing the axle bolts--soak them for a few days in penitrating oil before attempting to loosen them. Mine would not budge at all until they soaked for 3 days--then, bam--no problem.

11. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I have used split boots for a quick and nasty repair, I would not recommend them for long term. The one's I used had to be glued together, so every thing had to be spotlessly clean. Bit the bullet and enjoy the fact that it's done and working as it should.

12. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

The split boots i've used on VW's had, along the sealing surface, a tongue and groove design held together with a bunch of tiny screws and nuts. I was running 0-5 weight synthetic oil and they never leaked. I'd like to find the same thing for Ferraris. I think i'll ask my dealer for an old one for comparison and begin the search.

13. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If they are in two pieces rather than split then they would have two opposed flanges, so there should be no balance problems. Sounds interesting.

14. gredinger

gredinger Karting

Feb 19, 2004
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter Gredinger
    I finally got an answer from the Ferrari dealer:

The cost for one boot: $250 ... incredible...

15. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    That's not just for the boot, it is for replaceing................right !
    By the way if you do one you may as well do two, any extra cost should only be for another boot !

16. gredinger

gredinger Karting

Feb 19, 2004
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter Gredinger
    No...that is just for the boot!

Do you remember where you bought your boots?
    Or even better, what Porsche uses the same dimensions of the boot?

17. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I am not sure about a 348, but the 308 uses a Porsche 911 turbo (930) CV joint and boot. The CV joint is 108 mm diameter and 40 mm wide, commonly called a "930" joint and is widely available, it can even be found at stores supporting VW "rail buggies". The VW GTI uses a 100 mm diameter joint (or smaller for early years).

The set of boots that I bought earlier this year for my GT4 had a Porsche part # 90133229312 and cost about $6 per boot (no grease or clamps).

18. gredinger

gredinger Karting

Feb 19, 2004
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter Gredinger
    Thanks, I will check that boot.
    It is a 108mm CV joint on the 348 so it should fit.

Question: Do I have to remove inner boot from its position to be able to assemble the new outer one?
    If so I guess I have to get new clamps fo the inner one?

19. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Once again--I'm not familiar with how your model is set up, but, on the 308, you don't have to remove both cv joints from the axle shaft. Each one is held on by a snap ring. To remove the joint, one must remove the snap ring and then use a claw puller to get the joint off of the shaft.

20. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Okay guys I have a question. How do you get the nut off, that is on the inside of the CV joint, holding the bearings in place? I took my axle off yesterday to replace the boots on mine but can't figure out how to get the nut off. It isn't hard to take the axle out. There are sixe allen bolts that hold each side in place. As others have said they are on VERY tight. I used a long handle 1/2" rachet, with a reducer on the end, that would take a 3/8" socket. It is kind of difficult to get to the bolts, but you can get to them. I recomend lossening all the bolts first then taking them out. After you get all the bolts off , the axle comes right out. But how do you get the nut inside off? Do you need a "special Ferrari" tool?

21. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Never mind my question, I just found out the answer. There are som c-clips on the other side that come off, then the cv joint comes apart. But man what a mess. The grease gets all over the place.

22. gredinger

gredinger Karting

Feb 19, 2004
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter Gredinger
    Ernie,

did you buy the original boots?

23. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Ernie -

Any chance you're taking pictures of this operation for everyone to enjoy the learning process?

-Daniel

24. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I'm going to try to attach a nice pictorial on the job for a 308. If it doesn't come through, you can find it on the "other " Ferrari board , under "308QV cv boot replacement".

Sorry, the attachment won't load--check out that discussion--it has great, detailed pictures.

25. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I bought the boots from a mechanic friend of mine. I got all four for about $115. So I don't think they are "factory". If they fit and work, I really don't care that they aren't factory. As for the pictures, no I haven't taken any. But I'm thinking of taking some when I do the boots on the other side. One thing, the axles are different for the later year 348's. Mine is a 1990 and has the allen bolts on both sides of the axle. On the later cars they have a permanent boot on one side and a regular one on the other. So if you need the boots replaced on the later cars your screwed. You have to buy a whole new axle to the tune of $1,500 each. Aren't the updates the best. I think it is just an up date on how they can get more money from you, hahahaaaaa. Anyway, it isn't a hard job. The worst part isn't getting the bolts loose, it is dealing with all the nasty grease. Man that stuff gets all over everything.