18x8.5 vs 18x10 on a 1991 Testarossa | FerrariChat

18x8.5 vs 18x10 on a 1991 Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by The Mad Hatter, Oct 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    Okay...I was thinking this should go in the Technical Q&A section...then, since it deals with a 91 TR, I figured it would go in the model-specific area...then I settled for the General Forum not really knowing where I should go :D So here goes...I was ready to place my order on www.rimstop.com yesterday to get my 18-inch Speedline Magnesios when I was presented with the choice of 18x8.5 or 18x10...so then my day-long turned evening-long search of the archives and google began. It looks like the "10" is simply the height of the rim but I could not find anything stating that it works/doesn't with 91 TRs...Is there anyone with the 18x10s on a TR? If so, how are they working out? Or, since I currently have the 18x8.5 Speedline Aliseos should I just stay at 8.5...I found out that the 8.5/10 reading really means the height of the rim...will 10 work with a 91 TR...man, this wheel and tire stuff is worse than Calculus... :D Thanks for any help!!!

Cheers,
    Travis

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I believe the "10" and the "8.5" are more commonly referred to as the width of the wheel (but if the unmounted wheel is set flat on the ground this could be called "height").

The stock (inch series) TR wheel sizes are 16 x 8 front and 16 x 10 rear, so if the wheel offset is the same as stock, the 18 x 10 should be no problem on the rears (but probably not at the front).

Are you saying that you presently have 8.5" wide wheels at both the front and the rear of your TR? I'd go with 18 x 8.5 at the front and 18 x 10 at the rear (again, if the offsets quasi-match the stock TR wheels of +34mm front and +60mm rear) -- the huge a$$ of a TR needs the wider wheel size at the rear. JMOs.