electrical trouble on my 308GTSi | FerrariChat

electrical trouble on my 308GTSi

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by sarukichi, Oct 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sarukichi

sarukichi Rookie

Sep 20, 2004
    JAPAN
    Full Name:
    TAKASHI KOGA
    hello all,
    This is my first post and I am also sorry about my poor english.
    I post this from Tokyo, Japan and which means I am Japanese.
    I bought 80' 308GTSi last month and this is the first Ferrari in my life.

I have trouble with my turn signal and radiator fans.
    My signal does not work sometime, but not always.
    This can happen anytime like when lights on or off, wiper works or not, engine run or not...

About the radiator fan, it starts working after a while I pick the main key off.
    But this also does not happen all the time.
    Yesterday, the fan ran throught the night and the battery which I changed few days ago died!! Offcorse I recharged it and it works now.
    But this makes me worry to keep the car at the parking.

If I have the wiring diagram, I might see for this problem, but if anyone had the same trouble like this, please kindly advice me.

Thank you for your visiting and hope to hear a good advice.
    Again, sorry for poor english...

2. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Look around the fuse box area for corrosion, and loose connection. You may also want to swap out the turn signal relay.
    Jim

3. seschroeder

seschroeder Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    Check the switch for the emergency flashers. That will stop the turn signals from working.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    sarukichi -- Welcome to FChat (but you might consider adding some information and/or perhaps a jpeg to your Profile)

The wiring diagram for your 2-valve "i" is in the back of your OM, but you have a very strange problem (and maybe more than 1 problem). It's very common for the 308 fuse boxes (or fuse holders) to develop open circuits so that something won't work, but having the cooling fans stay "on" when the ignition key is "off" is a problem that I believe hasn't been reported here before.

One thing to check is to see if the other functions that share the same fuse as the turn signals also don't work when the turn signals don't work. For example, when the turn signals aren't working properly try turning on the windshield wipers -- if those don't work either you can be fairly sure that it's an open circuit problem in the fuse box (either at the fuse itself or between the upper #1, #2, and #3 fuse terminals).

5. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I have the 1980 factory technicians wiring book with all drawings--I can make a copy and send to you if you like. The cost should not be much--maybe 20.00 US

6. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I also had a problem with my turn signals not working - I posted this to the board as well. Someone told me the solution was to toggle the Emergence Flasher switch on the center console roughly 20 times. This solved the problem!

7. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Welcome. You don't have to apologize for your English. It's actually very good. Much better than some of the Americans who post here.

I've run into the problem with the radiator fans before. They are controlled by a temperature switch in the radiator. Those are usually a bi-metal switch that responds to the temperature in the radiator. As they age, they can fail, usually in the open (off) mode, but can also do what you describe.

The other possibility is with the relay. The thermo-switch connects to a relay that in turn provides power to the fans. The relay can fail as well.

My guess would be either the thermo-switch in the radiator or the relay. I could also be a problem with the wire from the switch to the relay grounding out, so check that and the connections as well.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
    Steve W.

8. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Welcome Sarukichi!
    I also had a ploblem with my turn signals on my '83 308. The turn signal switch is wired to a "pig-tail" with a connector on the end. If you can, remove the lower cover on the column and trace the wires into the dash and locate the connector. Check to make sure the connector is properly seated. Check for damage. Pull it apart and re-connect it several times to remove any corrosion. Good luck!
    Jim

9. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Welcome aboard! As has been stated, check and clean all fuse/relay connections, as well as any ground wires associated with the turn signals. A loose ground wire could easily cause an intermittent problem like that.

Re: the fan switch, it's located on the lower , passenger side of your radiator and is very visible/ accessible once you open your front decklid. There are 2 wires attached to it and you can bypass the switich by pulling them off of the switch and touching the 2 wires together--when together, with the ignition key on, it should run the fans. When held apart , they should stop. They should not work when the ignition is off. If they do, the fault is somewhere in the wiring. If they work properly, with the key turned on, it's likely the switch itself is likely malfunctioning. They are cheap and easy to install.

Regarding your English, you are much more eloquent than our current president!

Good luck!

10. sarukichi

sarukichi Rookie

Sep 20, 2004
    JAPAN
    Full Name:
    TAKASHI KOGA
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    So many answers made me happy and I am very sure that my challenge to post was successful.
    I feel I can have a great PICCOLO life with this FChat.

Unlucky, it rains heavy here in Tokyo, and I am sure to do my work this weekend with your advices.
    Thank you again and I will write the result when I find.

11. sarukichi

sarukichi Rookie

Sep 20, 2004
    JAPAN
    Full Name:
    TAKASHI KOGA
    Thank you for all
    I finally found the reason!!
    My previous owner added radiator fan switch which I can run the fan anytime.
    There was a small relay to work and this cause the trouble.
    I replaced to new one and trouble never happen again.
    This gives me nice sleep!!!

12. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Glad to hear you solved the problem! Enjoy the car and keep us posted on Ferraris in Japan.