TEXAS GTB | FerrariChat

TEXAS GTB

Discussion in 'Texas' started by thecarreaper, Sep 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    hey, anyone know anything about the red '77gtb in Spring Texas? the area code is ( 281). i think that is close to Dallas? a man named Donnie answered the phone and said i have to wait until the owner is available to answer questions. he said that "they" bought and sold exotic cars for awhile, and are no longer " in the BIZ". i am looking for a 1976 or 1977 carb GTB. thanks to all for any help. Michael M.

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Spring & the 281 area code is on the North side of Houston. I am not familiar with the car, but I'm not from that area.

3. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

thanks Randy, i figured since there are so many Fchatters in the general area, that someone would know something, good, bad or other!!

4. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Closer to Houston than Dallas, probably 3 hours from Dallas as supposed to one hour from Houston.

5. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I remember that car. Red & tan carb car, It was on EBAY awhile back & listed on autotrader.com. I never got to look it over, it was for sale for about a year or so, I told LSU308 to check it out when he was looking for a gtb. Is that car still for sale?

6. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    i basically live in spring. My area code is 281. And odds are i have seen this car around. If you give me more info(when you get it), address, etc., i would be more than willing to go check this car out for you. ill take pics if i have a digital by then. in the mean time though, ill keep my eyes open for it.

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    this is most likely the same car that has been around for awhile. if it is, the owner is a car nut and has many cars that he plays around with. how did you hear about the car?

8. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thanks, the car is listed on the autotrader. when the ad for my 308 came out this car was mysteriously discounted to match. the number is 281 376 6073. have seen fchatters from certain areas help others when a car with undisclosed issues come up for sale. i dont want anyone to drive 2 or 3 hours to see the car, i am just curious if there is anyone close by, or if it is a "known" GTB in the community( good or bad). i was told by the man named Donnie that the man who owned the car had a "large collection" and was thinning the collection out. i wanted a EARLY (75 to 77) GTB when all this started. my 308 is sold and i am waiting for the check to clear my bank before i release the car , or buy anything else. i can put cash in hand next week for the right GTB. i will update when i call "DONNIE" back today to get the owners number. thanks to all here! michael

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Let me know, if I can help.....

Spring is just up the road.....not too far.

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    281 circles Houston's 713, kinda like a doughnut.......LOL!

Got a VIN # on this puppy??? :)

11. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    not yet, i sent a reply to your pm. all i know is the owners first name is Walter and he has a large ferrari collection. he is going to have some of " his people" send me pics and specifics on the car. thank you for your offer to see the car, i should know in the next few days which GTB i am going to get. :) michael :)

12. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    They have had this car since about the time I bought mine in January. Spring is attached to North Houston. The owner has a strip mall he keeps all his cars in. From what I understand most of the cars are not Ferraris. If I remember correctly he took this car as a trade on a Viper or some other newer sport/exotic. I don't remember what local FCA members told me about the car but I do remember not getting a "warm fuzzy" feeling.

13. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the owner is a guy named "walter". he is (or was) mostly into mercedes. i have bought two mercedes from him and he lives about four blocks away from me. from my recollection, his mechanic (or the name of the dealership posted) is johnny, not donnie. walter is a car nut and i have seen him with many cars that he drives. i do not know this 308 gtb, but wlater usually drives his cars and enjoys them. the two cars i bought were nice solid cars that did not have any surprises. walter has a "dealership" for convenience, as he goes through cars as he likes. he is not a guy that is running the dealership for profit motives, just simply to offset the cost of his hobby. i am not going to say anything good or bad about this particular car. however, i will say that i found my dealings with him to be fair and forthright. should you have any specific questions, please p.m. me.

15. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thank you for the replies, its been a busy weekend for me. W.SPEER , i sent a reply to your email, i will send a PM since my emails have not always been going through due to work on the cable lines here. i never heard back from them, thanks for the correction on "Johnny's" name! i really would rather have a GTb, Euro preferred, i may just wait if this car falls through. the yellow GTB in california has a salvage title, no emissions , no records and they waant too much for it. the red GTB in Colorado was most likely full of rust and had $4800 worth of work done with 12 tries to pass emissions. owner preferreed not to have a PPI. we are exempt from emissions here, but the lack of books, tools and records should be reflected in price.
    i will follow up on the Taxas GTB today, i have Walter's cell phone number.
    thanks to all. michael

16. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Carreaper,
    I was interrested in that car a while back, and I remember someone on F-chat saying that the car's front bank had no compression. The cars been for sale for more than a year.
    Jim
    I thought you wanted a carb 512 boxer

17. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    How could one BANK have no compression? That makes no sense.....

Well, maybe one cam not oriented properly, that might do it.......it would run real badly, IMO.

Is this car on the lot, at that location?
    I get cr@p all the time for not having a "red" one.......LOL!

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    JRV has a 308GT4.....waaaaay in the back! Just a tip........

20. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

Mr. Walter just called me, i will know more about the car tonight. they have the car there at the "normal" car lot, as far as i know. he did say he had someone work on the car for 3 months for $$$$$$ to get it to run right. he also said today a ppi and compression check would be ok.
    Big tex, let me know about the GT4, the beater in the Carolinas on Ebay was perfect for me, but they wont sell it early.i am going to search the archives and see what service facilites are close to where this car and owner are. thanks!

21. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If Ferda at Vintage Motor Cars does PPIs I would recommend him. I can't begin to tell you how much more I like my car now that he has had his hands on it. As far as I know, Ferda is the closest mechanic to Spring. I am sitting all of 1 mile South of Spring now.

http://www.evintagemotorcars.com/flashframe.htm

I do remember the price was good on the car. If you get it PPI'd at Vintage PM me or email me at mbec99 at yahoo.com and I will swing down to Vintage at lunch and take a cubic boatload of pictures of everything you want to see up close and personal. I work about 12 min away from his shop. Tillman and Jimpo1 showed up at my PPI in Dallas. Their opinions were most helpful. Call this Fchat carma payback.

22. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thank you so much for the offer! offers like this are what make this such a great place! Walter is not very computer savy, and has asked his son to send pics. the PPI recommendation is VERY helpful! i will update as i know more, thanks! Michael.

23. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    So Michael,
    Do you have regrets selling the 308, or do you just want to try out the GTB/GT4?
    They're fun cars aren't they?
    Jim
    I don't blame you on the boxer. They're awesome cars.

24. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

i wanted a EURO carb 308 GTB before i ever got the Marrone car. i REALLY dont like open top cars after i went end over end( over end) in a t top Z28 when i was a teen. the euro cars are dry sump and have better cams and respond very well to aggresive timing and the new ignitions we have available today. i may end up with a US spec GTB, but at least it wont have the open top over my head. it really is a personal thing. i have had 5 different Toyota Mr2's and all but one was a solid roof car, those took FOREVER to find and i wish i had kept at least one of them. the B.Boxer is a long term boys-dream come true thing. i am planning on gettting a gt4 and a gtb to play with for a year or so , then its Boxer time! i may have to wait and just get "THE" right GTb fior me and it will be a life time keeper. i kept my Bandit TRANS AM from high school for 13 years. the good ones ya keep!

25. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I see you and I share the same reason for liking GTBs over open tops. Note that my QV is a GTB :)

Forgot to mention on Vintage that you should call them (the website email thing is currently not pointing at the right email address). Their number is 713-956-5202. Danny Kurtz or Ferda should answer.