What kind of a "Book" do you keep on your car? | FerrariChat

What kind of a "Book" do you keep on your car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F1Ace, Oct 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I hear it mentioned from time to time about records kept on a car, sometimes in the form of a book. What kind of book is this? Many owners simply keep copies of all the invoices, and I think I've seen small record keeping books for mileage and service intervals, but they're pretty small to write in.

What kind of book do you keep, and where can I get an empty one? Also, am I expected to write in everything the previous owner did to the car before I got it? (There goes my weekend)

Thanks!
    Wes

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have kept a detailed file of all service receipts for each vehicle I have ever owned. On the Ferraris, I have added a small bound book to log services performed on the car (only from my ownership). I use the little red or yellow bound books that Ferrari produced a few years ago...but anything from an office supply store would work. I note the date and mileage for each entry. I usually include oil top ups, but don't bother with gas fill ups (I'm lazy). I will often include a few additional notes or comments made by the mechanic, or "things to do" on the next service.

Dave

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I have a 4" three ring binder with all the receipts, and photocopies of the articles I find useful when diagnosing problems along with any article that might cast light onto the history of Dinos in general.

I have diagrams of parts that I've torn down and rebuilt, and schematics from the Ferrari website that my parts book doesn't have.

I also have about 4 or 5 pages of before, during and after pictures from the work that has been done on the car, by me, and the mechanic. And a photocopy of the repair manual.

The book, one year in, is full.

4. PowerDNA

PowerDNA Karting

Sep 5, 2004
    Green Bay, WI
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  5. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I asked a similar question a few months ago and came to the conclusion that a 3 ring binder with receipts hole punched or stapled to regular paper as needed is the best bet. Right now, I have a 3 ring binder on the bottom of a pile of receipts!

6. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    I have done complete ownership histories for both the 328 GTB and the 330 GT 2+2.

On the 328, in a very large three ring binder, I have records of each of the previous 6 owners separarted by tabs and then a service section for my maintainance records. It goes in for the major service next week. I can account for every single day of the car's existance.

In the 330 I have a plastic briefcase with dividers in it. One section is for history- I am the 23rd owner at least! I can account for every day of its existance except some time in the 60's. If you are interested, go to 330GT Registry and find SN 9119 to view the history. In other sections I keep old records and then others for new records and interesting articles.

Dan

7. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Unfrickinbelievable.

8. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    I stash everything into a manila folder, then stuff it in a file cabinet, and then get mad as hell when i forgot where i put it.

9. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    That's how I feel about the garage queeners who plan each drive months in advance and then log it!

10. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    LOL, I was expecting, "Do you want a binder or CDROM?"

Those with little children... which is more detailed and organized, the baby book, or the Ferrari book :D

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I would never keep a book on my car...I keep all my auto books on shelves I have in the garage.

12. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Im in the process of putting together a book on mine.

I have all maintenance receipts going way back, 30+ years worth, along with bill of sale and such. I am just the 3d owner. The stack of receipts for work and parts is about 4 inches thick and covers pretty everything including oil changes.

I also have photos of some of the larger maintenance jobs like the engine rebuild, dash recovering, interior restoration and the complete paint job. All of these are going to be mounted with descriptions in the book.

I have the original factory build sheets along with english translations and I have the FNA heritage certificate.

Along with all this stuff, I have just about every known Daytona magazine article ever published which I am printing out in color and which will form a section of the book.

When my current projects on the car are done, I will be shooting a bunch of high qualify photos of it and these will also form a section.

All of this is going to be compiled into a large 3 ring binder. When done, It should make an interesting coffee table book for my office.

Terry

13. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I'll say!

Wes

14. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    I carry a King James Bible at all times in the Stradale, and before in all my Porsches. It protects me from evil. And I'm serious!

15. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    I put all the paper work in my filing cabnet and then i set up a spread sheet on Microsoft Excel and log everything in that as a quick reference...

16. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    I have a 4" three ring binder with picture of car on front, and Ferrari down spine. Inside I use three ring clear plastic pockets with all pictures bills everything you can think that has happened since the purchase.Total History.

17. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Just keep all receipts. No special book.

18. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I never thought about the 3 ring binder till you guys started mentioning it and I like that idea. The ability to divide it up many ways really appeals to me I guess. I also like the idea of putting a pic on the front, etc.. Then the book can just travel with the car to the new owner each time.

Y'see, I would have thought there would be an 'official' book that came with the car. I guess nobody's touting the Ferrari one much.

Thanks!
    Wes

19. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Well I'm a garage queen owner and I keep the log up to date. It is pretty amazing when you have service receipts that go back to the 50's in Europe and information on all owners. If you think this doesn't add real value to a Vintage car think again.