Autocar -430 vs Gallardo------------------------ | FerrariChat

Autocar -430 vs Gallardo------------------------

Discussion in '360/430' started by tonyh, Oct 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Here are some snippets from article-
    "The 430's 'manettino' switch on the steering wheel altering the traction control is a direct lift from the Ferrari f1 car.The cabin of our test car had 4 point harnesses and carbon seats and trim, and the engine note does a better impression of an F1's top end rip than even the Gallardo's V10.But does all this work?? You may think this is lapse of journalistic cynicism, but i was utterly sucked in. Ferrari might have laid on the racing heritage with a trowell, but after the 430 every other manufacturer's efforts to play to a sporting heritage will look like pitiable fakery.The Gallardo is in trouble already, despite 40 yrs of credibilty. It's downsized -Murcielago styling is pure supercar and very hard to upstage , but the 430looks like a racecar inside and out and still makes the Lambo look like an upstart.....
    they're hard to seperate on ride; both combine iron body control with fluency and compliance.So which is faster?The Gallardo has marginally more power [492BHP vs 483 BHP] and 33lb ft more torque [376 lb ft vs 343], peaking 750 RPM lower than the Ferrari's.It feels more flexible in gear but this seems less relevant when both have paddle shift manuals which goad you into a perfectly rev-matched downshift at every opportunity.. And when the engines are working at the top of their range the Ferrari's slight power to weight advantage-no 4 wheel drive- seems to count double;the throttle response more urgent, the kick in the backside even harder.Am i really about to write that a near 500 BHP Lambo feels slow? After the deft, light, frentic Ferrari it does; it's slower and slightly wooden.
    But these are 1st impressions. They may have been coloured by the Ferrar's novelty, and the perception of its speed is skewed by an engine note which definately shades the Lambo's ,starting bassy and finishing with a shrill detonation at peak revs or on downchanges that we could hear for a full 5 seconds as it rolled up the sides of the valleys south of Maranello. I wish i could explain how utterly correct it felt to drive a red Ferrari and a Yellow Lambo in bright sunshine near as fast as they'd go over the italian mountain roads they were made for. I can't , so i'm going to take this key and do it again. I'll be driving the Gallardo , but i'll be thinking about the 430".

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Thanks, Tony! Do you have a scanner? It would be great to see the whole article.

Gary

4. lapeter

lapeter Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2002
    SunValley ID&Kapalua
    Full Name:
    Al LaPeter
    The links did not work for me. Any suggestions?

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

It didnt work at first but i reloaded and it worked.

Spoke too soon . apparently just page 10 works.

6. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Btw , the F430 looksm uch better with the Enzo wheels rather than Strad wheels.

7. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I can't get them to work ethier.

8. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Help, no linky.

9. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    In the picture with the 2 cars, it's amazing just how compact the Gallardo is.

10. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Not so sure anymore..

11. Jason

Jason Karting

Dec 1, 2001
    p9 & 10 are dead. Can someone repost? Thanks

12. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL

Wow he seems to REALLY like the F430, alot more then the Garrado. I mean I knew the F430 would be impressive, but I never thought it would make someone say the Gallardo feels "slow" wow....

13. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Excellent post! Many, many thanks for the early review.

Just when the competition caught up the gap widens again. But, competition is good for the breed. Hopefully, Audi/VW will make a RWD Gallardo to up the ante even more, although I know what will be in my garage.

Also, I'll be curious to see what the many CS owner's from this site think, especially when they drive one. Decisions, decisions.

Forza,

Cavallini