550 Maranello vs Daytona | FerrariChat

550 Maranello vs Daytona

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Higgins23, Oct 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    Looking at the market recently, I noticed that pricing on both the Daytona and early 550 Maranello's was very similar. Daytona pricing seems to be pretty flat but firm. Couple of questions, are early 550 now fully depreciated ? Which is the better long term investment (my guess is that it will be 5-10 years before 550's start to appreciate) ? What are annual estimated running costs for both ? Has anyone owned both, if so which was the preferred car ?

2. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I own a 2000 550. I used to work on daytonas as a kid at the dealer although I never have owned one.
    The Daytona is a car that you can learn to work on and do much of the work yourself if you are so inclined. The 550 in my opinion is going to need more dealer service due to computers in them and diagnostic software needed to zero out computer errors and run diagnostics on them.
    The 550 is more of a daily driver and much more refined than the Daytona. The Daytona is a 30 year old car.
    The Daytona has seen bottom and will most likely appreciate from todays values. The 550's are still going down.
    Try to drive both and then decide. It will be easy to find a good 550 to drive. After that, start looking for a good 365. That will take some time, most of them are beat and restored poorly.
    Good luck
    gary

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I doubt if the 550 will ever appreciate. Maybe in nominal dollars, depending on the inflation rate, but in real dollars? No way-- too many of them have been made.

Even the Daytona's production numbers were pretty high, with about 1,200 made (versus what, 7-8000 550/575s?). And, Daytona prices have basically held steady for the last 10 years or so. Also, to many people the Daytona is an icon in a way that I don't think the 550 ever will be (and I'm not knocking the 550-- it is a great car).

So, from a depreciation point of view, I think you will be much better off with a Daytona. I don't think early 550s will depreciate too much more-- maybe down to the $80k range, so at least they are getting past the steep part of the depreciation curve.