Owning a 348 in Singapore | FerrariChat

Owning a 348 in Singapore

Discussion in 'Asia' started by ScarletFever, Oct 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScarletFever

ScarletFever Rookie

Oct 6, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RB
    This is my first post on this forum - it's an incredibly informative site on everything from technicals to appreciating the 'prancing horse'

Was wondering if any Singapore owners could tell me their experiences on owning and running a 348 in terms of
    1) annual insurance costs
    2) maintenance and running costs
    3) is it a good first F-car and
    4) most importantly the pleasure/downsides of driving a 348 as an everyday driver in Singapore

Have lusted after F-cars for the longest time, but am still a Ferrari virgin. Am currently gathering info to make the purchase decision, so any inputs would be much appreciated.

2. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Hi, I've gotten my 348TB few months back. Which one are you buying? Eg.TB/TS etc. There's only about 5/6 in S'pore now, I think.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to test drive mine & I bought it trusting my friend. I bought it after looking only twice! It was cheap in my opinion & to fulfill a dream. I was looking for a 993 but this was a good opportunity. It was a bit worn & had many issues, ended up spending a few grand to make it run well.

1) Insurance depends on your NCB, experience & records. It can be S$2K+~S$7K! Road tax is about S$5K+ a year.

2)Maintenance is not much of an issue if the car has been well looked after. Oil change about S$100+ every 6 months, belt change about S$3K+ (non agent) every 3yrs. Brake pads are about US$200+/- from internet. In fact, most parts are available on the internet relatively easy & the folks here are very helpful.

3)It's alright for daily drive except that parking in our tight malls/roads can prove impossible sometimes & plan ahead where you're going! Forget about perfomance, a good Japanese sports car can easily beat you to that & they really love to do it. In the end, enjoy it. It's an experience you'll never forget & impossible to find in any modern car. The raw power, exhaust, gears, steering & handling.

You'll get lots of looks & envy. I've got dozens of pix taken by tourists so far. The stying maybe dated but it still moves many hearts.

Don't take it as your only car though I know a few 308/Mondial/Testa owners drive theirs daily. A 328 will be a good find. More expensive than 348 here & only about 4 in S'pore?

3. ScarletFever

ScarletFever Rookie

Oct 6, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RB
    SF,

Thanks for the quick response. Am trying to work out what it's going to cost to own and run the car before I decide to buy it - sounds very reasonable for a car that'll fulfil a boyhood dream.

Just saw your car on the Singapore Owner's thread. It is absolutely awesome!! What a beautiful specimen. Looks in pristine condition - I can't get over your car - just stunning! What year is it? Couldn't tell from the picture, but is yours a Magnolia or Tan interior?

Given the weather, I was looking at a TB - what's your view? I thought that a TB would be easier to find as well. Didn't know that there were only 5-6 in Singapore. Ben at Hong Seh mentioned he knew of one that sold 6 months ago - wonder if that was yours?

On the insurance, I have no prior record of car ownership in Singapore, so that may affect premiums a little bit, but have a clean Aussie record (although it wasn't an F-car by far, I was a student!)

I wasn't looking for pure 0-60, I am sure the Japanese (Subaru 'Rex', Skyline etc.) are quicker, but they look like square boxes (no disrespect intended). Can't beat Ferrari on the overall package handling, performance and the pure thrill of owning a work of art. It really is a sensually stimulating car (looks, sound, quickening of the heart rate).

Not looking at a 328, it has classic styling, but the more modern styling of the 348 just does it for me. I don't think the car looks dated one bit (my opinion). Maybe if you park it right next to a 360, but even then it looks fantastic for a car that debuted in 1989.

Thanks again for the input. Hope to see your car on the road someday.

4. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Welcome to S'pore! Are you staying for long? Not sure if mine was known by Ben but it belonged to the boss long ago. It has tan interior & some carbon fibre fitting. The body needs some usual touch up & abit rusty on edges (common on old cars). I would like to have a TS but those that I've seen have leaking roofs which is not nice to own here since it rains almost all year round. Anyhow, a berlinetta(all Challenge cars) has a stiffer chassis & quieter. Well, I drive with the windows down most of the time. You may find it a bit difficult/cost more to own one here like loan, insurance issues since you're an expat. I might be selling mine. PM me.

5. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Personally, I prefer a GTB over a GTS. I had a 355GTS last year and not only did the roof squeaked alot...it also leaked when in heavy shower. The interesting thing was that after a month of selling the car the buyer put it on the market...complaining of the same reasons. I now drive a GTB.

6. ScarletFever

ScarletFever Rookie

Oct 6, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RB
    SF - sent you a PM, hope you received it.

Lung7707 - Thanks for the input, I agree. Given the weather in Singapore (both the heat and the rain), berlinettas should be the obvious choice.