Buying a 95 456 GT w/ 25k miles | FerrariChat

Buying a 95 456 GT w/ 25k miles

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Scuderia Ferrari, Oct 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scuderia Ferrari

Jul 31, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    A couple quick questions for any current 456 GT owners....(WITH YOUNG KIDS)

-Have any of you actually placed two regular carseats(for kids over 20 lbs) in the backseats?

-If so, can you still drive the car or is the drivers seat wedged up against the steering wheel?

-Is it convenient or too tight?

-If you fit the kids in car seats...Can you actually fit a double stroller in the trunk or simply golf clubs?

-Is the window service issue still covered under warranty?

-What is the next service after the 15,000 mile. I know that the 15k was already completed at an authorized shop.

-The car is CARFAX certified...What does that actually mean?

-Any guestimates on the $ for trailering the car from FL to AZ????

-Anything else in particular I should be looking at ????

-The car is immaculate in and out w/ all records and tools.

-What is the official Ferrari name for Charcoal Grey and Tan?

THANKS.

Go Schumi....

2. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    #2 speedball, Oct 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can't answer your other questions .... but I had a 68 Hemi Roadrunner transported from Tampa to Los Angeles in an enclosed semi trailer for about $ 1,300. Used Exotic Car Transport. Took about 7 days door to door. Was very happy with this company. If you use an open car hauler it's maybe $ 500 less.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    (I numbered your questions for convenience).

1-- Yes, do it regularly (my kids are 7 and almost 4). Works fine, although if you can, try to get car seats with a slight taper at the back of the seat, as they will fit better into the deeply sculpted seats.

2-- No problem (and I am 6'4").

3-- It's reasonably convenient, no worse than any other two-door. For a lot of around town, in-and-out-of-the-car frequently, it is not as pleasant as a 4 door or an SUV, but otherwise it is fine.

4-- Never tried a double stroller (or any other kind of stroller). Golf clubs, sure, two sets fit fine (probably not a PGA Pro bag, but any reasonable golf bag). The trunk is actually much larger than it appeared to me at first glance.

5-- My understanding is that it is not still being done under warranty, but I would check with an authorized dealer on that one. Mine was done under warranty in 2001 (my car is a 95 also), and the invoice was $9k, so keep that in mind.

6-- 30k. This is the major service with the timing belt replacement. It should be done on either a mileage or a calendar basis (normally 5 years). If it has not been done, I would recommend doing it immediately. I would be a bit surprised if it has not been done at some point in the past.

7-- Not sure.

8-- No idea.

9-- I would be sure to get a PPI done with a compression check. There are apparently a few 456s with bad compression. Otherwise, they are wonderful cars!

4. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Hi,
    I own a 95 456GT with about 25k miles...what a coincidence! And the same color too! Hopefully, I can help answer a few of your questions.

#1: Don't know - don't have any kids! :)
    #2,3,4: N/A
    #5: The window fix is no longer covered under warranty, so make sure it has been done by a reputable shop; otherwise, you may be looking at a potential fix of $8-10k!!
    #6: The next major service after the 15k would be the 30k. Based on what I have heard, it's about a $3.5-4k job, a bit less than some of the older V8's b/c the engine doesn't have to come out.
    #7: CARFAX certified unfortunately doesn't guarantee the car has absolutely no history. Make sure you do your homework on it - a lot of times, small fixes, even lemon repairs don't get report to the DMV. Make sure you get service records!
    #8: I bought my car from GA and had it transported to CA. I, too, used Exotic Car Transport - it was my second time using them. My first ferrari (my 348) was shipped from FL to CA... both were shipped for about $1400.
    #9: There are a number of things you should be looking at:

- Make sure the water hoses were updated to silicone-based hoses during the 15k service - this was a warranty "update" that needed to be done (the other rubber hoses were known to burst at times)
    - Even if the window update / kit was installed, it's possible the car may still need an adjustment - I just have mine adjusted, but it wasn't bad... just a few hours of labor
    - Make sure the transmission is solid and shifting properly
    - Check to see if the car is overheating
    - Double-check all electricals, including the seats - they should move forward when you pull the latch forward

#10: The color you are asking about is Canna di Fucile. It means "barrel of a rifle" which loosely translates to gunmetal gray.

Good luck!

Hope this helps,
    Byron