credit card sized gun | FerrariChat

credit card sized gun

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by milstanselnino, Oct 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    I read on the Minneapolis paper's website (startribune.com) that a gun shop there has invented a gun the size of a credit card. It is a .177 caliber, and is a muzzleloader.

What do you think? I think it's a recipe for disaster if you're attacked

2. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    .177 Cal (5.6 mm) is a common size for pellet guns.

Muzzle loader means black powder; don't see this gun as being much use.....

3. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    depends... are guns used more for show or blow?

here in oz where sanity seems for the most part intact, guns are used primarily for professional hunting and werk-related stuff... eg. my family's kangaroo meat processing plant.

the times i've held a handgun have really scared me into realizing how much stupid power is available so cheaply....

4. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    The article said that they're semi-accurate for up to 10 feet. Pretty much rules out hunting. Still seems to me that it would do little other than irritate your aggressor.

5. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    better off throwing it.

6. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Sounds like the person firing it is in more danger than the intended target

7. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    Those loads are as effective as a split ball. I'm guessing this is intended for self defense. Shoot am intruder with it and I'm sure it will just hurt like hell and piss him off. If the person is all drugged up or drunk that'll make it worse.

Only good I see...if you do get assaulted and shoot the noise will probably shock them as they wouldn't expect it. The pain would make them think they're about to die. This would give you time to get the hell out of dodge. This caliper would probably just break the skin. Get some blood, and some good pain, but thats it. Probability of death is minimal. Hit someone in the eyes with it though....thats a different story.

I'd like to see one though.

Jay

8. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    Not so sure that bigger is always better.

I wouldn't want to stand in front of it when it goes off.

At the range they are stating, about 10 feet, a .177 round could very easily if not probably kill.

I'm sure its a soft point round. That baby could expand and could cause severe damage when it hits someone. A faster larger full metal round could go straight through. If it doesn't hit a major organ you might live. A small soft round could fracture and more than likey hit an organ and kill. What it will not do is have much stopping power. But it will probably have more power than someone with a knife. Don't confuse the .177 round with a pellet gun. A projectile like a bullet which is propelled by gunpowder is not at all like one propelled by CO2 or air.

Also given the small size it could pierce skin more easily. Does anyone know what a Fletchet is? These were banned by NATO because they were too thin (like the .177) When a soldier was hit with several of these, doctors had trouble saving the patient because the holes were so small in the body that doctors couldn't figure out where all the holes were and the patients bled to death. If your hit with a big round the wound is easier to see.

Don't underestimate a small round.

Besides, I've seen pager guns and pen guns in .22. These things are not new.

I wouldn't want to get hit by one.

ED

The small gun sounds pretty dangerous and somewhat unsafe

9. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    doesnt sound good in the wake of current events at airports

10. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    Don't get me wrong.....no way in hell would I want to get hit by it.

You sure do make many valid points. I never considered the small size as being more fatal. True...easier to peirce the skin. I guess it would matter how much gun powder this thing can hold. I still haven't read the article. I should stop looking at pictures on this site and maybe read the news right!

jay

11. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    What a useless invention. While a .177 caliber can hurt and kill, I would question its ability to stop someone like a firearm such as a .44 would. If you are being attacked a stun gun would probably be of more use.

12. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I read about this on CNN today, you can go there for the full scoop, but the detail that seems to have been lost in translation to the local paper is that this thing is a SHOTGUN! You fill it with 10 BB's. Along with black powder and wadding, of course. 2 shots. The size of a CC and 1/2 inch thick.

13. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Hmmm, similar to a .25 automatic in that you shove the piece o' shyte into the nasal cavity or eye sockets of the piece o' shyte that is bothering you and proceed to rapidly empty the magazine as fast as your little old hand can squeeze the trigger.

Then you club the perp on the skull with the thing until your hand and wrists are bloody.

Then you pick up the telephone. Or perhaps you don't.

14. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Remind me not to cut you off in traffic...

15. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Well, maybe you could throw it and put somebody's eye out...

That's like taking a unicycle to a bank robbery and thinking you've got a viable getaway vehicle!

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    7 pellets per barrell, IIRC, electronically fired.

A nice novelty, maybe for your purse. Me, I'd wack 'em with a Sears Tire tool and be done with it!

I use an Remington Model 870 Riot model with about a #7 shot. Five more shells on the stock in a sock thingie.......