348 Challenge racer | FerrariChat

348 Challenge racer

Discussion in '348/355' started by boxerman, Oct 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Anybody out there have experience with a 348 challenge racer. Saw one yesterday imported from europe fully rebuilt with 355 doors. Is a 355 challenge a nuch better car. Are these cars good for trackday fun, or are they used up racecars. What should they cost.

2. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    JDavid has one.......you may PM him for more info.

Better invest in some earplugs if you are going to drive it very far, but man does it sound good!

3. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    My thoughts, for whatever they're worth:
    My former track day car was a lightly modified GT4- it was pretty bullet-proof and a lot of fun, but slow. Biggest problem- avoiding oil surge under hard cornering, the only definitive solution to which is a dry sump engine (I used a 3-qt. Accusump which mitigated, but didn't solve, the problem).
    Bought a very nice, unwrecked (that's very rare) 348C last year and eventually sold the GT4- if I ever get it properly sorted I think it'll be a lot of fun. My reasons for buying it, rather than a 355C, were that it: (1) doesn't have power steering (which I despise); (2) seemed likely to be cheaper/easier to maintain (which hasn't necessarily been the case thus far, but hopefully that'll change now that the car finally seems to be sorted out); and (3) had a title so I could get a tag for it (at least in States that don't have smog or safety inspections)- only US-version '95 355Cs have titles.
    A 355C is much faster, and a lot of bang for the buck, but if you intend to drive to/from the track (feasible, albeit somewhat masochistic) the pool of good '95s is pretty small. Most Challenge cars, at least those actually raced, are less than pristine, and nearly all have had a big crash or three, so check these cars carefully.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ira thanks for your response. Any idea what the actual price range of these things are. Also what type of sorting have you had to go through. Car I saw looks to be fully rebuilt even bottom is new, but who knows. It cannot be street driven in US.

5. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    People will tell you prices are 35-45, but I've not found a good example for less than 50k. If it is a properly sorted car I'd say 50-58k. It all depends on the servicing/history.

there is one for sale on 4ferrari.com right now I think...... You should call Martin .

6. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I assume this is the car at Motor Classic in White Plains? I haven't seen it, but it's been for sale (there, and before that someplace else I've now forgotten) for quite a while. As for price, you can buy a 348C any old time for $40K or less, if you don't mind a rough car that's been thrashed a bit. IF this car is as nice as your initial impressions indicate, and IF it hasn't been badly bent at some point (tough to tell without a thorough look at the tub, and David Seibert probably won't have any records/race results if the car was raced in the Euro, as opposed to US, Challenge Series), and IF compression and leak down tests look good, and IF you don't mind the fact that you can't drive it on the street as you (theoretically) could with a US 348C or early US 355C, top dollar still isn't over $50K. I suspect (relying solely on my gut instinct) that the market for a 348C without a US title is significantly thinner than for one with a title, as any buyer will need a trailer and tow car. You might want to consult Martin at Cavallino Motors, as he's pretty knowledgable about 348/355 Challenge cars, and usually has some available.
    As for sorting, my car had sat essentially unused for a couple of years, and had a grand total of 4,700 miles (including 3-4 Challenge races after 2,000 or so street miles pre-Challenge kit installation at Wide World) when I bought it. It suffered from the maladies you'd expect from a car that had been raced and then sat for an extended period. Fortunately, I had the seller rebuild the top end before I'd ante up, as it had lousy compression. Nevertheless, I've still had to deal with a host of teething problems, although I think it's now sorted out- guess I'll find out when I next run it at Moroso in early November at the FCA FL Region track event (I keep the car in FL). Feel free to holler if I can tell you anything else, and good luck.

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I am not sure but if Martin is selling a red 348C with black 348C wheels and 2.5 motronic that was byron's old car I would not buy it unless it was really cheap. If you are thinking about it PM me. 348's are cheap and fun to run. Mine has been bullet proof for years. Just gas oil and routine maintenance.