Sequential Manual Gearbox performance improvements | FerrariChat

Sequential Manual Gearbox performance improvements

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Admiral Thrawn, Oct 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Does anyone know how the sequential manual gearboxes have been implemented and improved over time?

From what I know, the system was invented in 1989 by Ferrari for Formula 1, although not all F1 teams implemented the system on their cars until (I think) 1993. What were the shift speeds of these earliest systems, and how did they differ from what we have today, both in F1 and on road cars.

I think the first road car to have an SMG system was the Ferrari 355 F1 in 1998. What speed did it shift at?

When did the SMG systems first simulate rev matching on downshifts, or have they always done this? Are there any other SMG features or technologies that weren't present on earlier systems?

2. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    First sequential was on the BMW E36 M3, but it was horrible from what I hear. Also, if you want to count it, the RUF EKS system was being used in the mid 90's as well.

3. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    What speed did they shift at? Was the first car to have a sequential transmission controlled via paddles (as opposed to a little stick) the 355 F1?

4. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    If you download the video from Top Gear of Tiff driving the 1990 Ferrari F1 car you'll notice just listening to it that it shifts alot slower than current cars. It's a cool vid to watch anyway.

5. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
  6. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Yep, got the vid. :)

So does anyone know where I can find all the shift times and a description of sequential gearboxes since they were invented?