Best brake pads for a street-used 308? | FerrariChat

Best brake pads for a street-used 308?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Morrie, Oct 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    The stock pads on my car don't stop it like I want. The replacement I hear mentioned most often is Porterfield. I'm looking for a street compound that won't dust excessively but still give better braking than stock.

Performance Friction pads really add grip but also tear up rotors, though that may not be much concern for a street machine. Hawk is another possibility.

Can anyone offer info on pads and compounds?

2. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Ferodo, DS2500 cmpd. They are the Mack Daddy.

d

3. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Porterfields, very low dusting, and it's a light color, not dark, on their R4S pads -- been using them for years (mostly street, plus maybe 2 or 3 track events each year) and they're WONDERFUL.

4. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    were can i get the porterfields ? is the ferodo low dust ? i have the ATE pads in the car now 1980 308 gtsi way to dusty i do NOT track the car any info thanks.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Give the EBC GreenStuff..or Redstuff a try. I have put a few sets of these on the 308 and TR and the results have been quite impressive. Very low dust, BUT the Redstuff does like to squeak up a storm until warmed up. Not really recommended for the street, so I would try the GreenStuff pad first.

6. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
  7. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I'll second the recommendation for the Porterfield R4-S pads for the street.

You can buy them direct from Porterfield (I happen to work about 5 mins from them), or IIRC, I believe Daniel at Ricambi America stocks them.

Dom

8. ArtH

ArtH Rookie

May 16, 2005
    N. Virginia
    Hi,

How are the pads mentioned on this thread in rotor wear--similar, greater, or much greater than stock? Thanks!

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    To improve feel, I highly recommend replacement of the brake lines, if they are more than 10 years old. Less expensive than stock, and superior in performance, get some stainless steel braided lines.

I have used the Axxis Deluxe Plus pad on my 328GTS, and currently use them on my BMW 540 M-Sport. They work very well (at least comparable to the oem pads) make about 80 percent less dust, and in combination with the ss brake lines, allow for better brake feel and modulation. Axxis Deluxe Plus pads are considered VERY gentle to rotors.

More info here: http://www.zeckhausen.com/axxis_pads.htm Click on the comparison chart.

For higher performance, it certainly sounds like the Porterfield R4S may be the way to go. I have no direct experience with them, but seem to have had great reviews here on F-chat. From what I have read they are similar to slightly more agressive to rotors than stock. I am planning to upgrade to them on my 355.

10. Martin Meade

Martin Meade Karting
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2004
    B'ham, WA
    Full Name:
    Martin Meade
    Girodisc sells Porterfield and DS2500 Ferodo pads. For the street we recommend R4-s Porterfield to everyone who asks. As mentioned before, low dust, low noise. The DS2500 is a higher friction pad, along with more dust and some light noise around parking lots sometimes, but rarely under normally use if installed correctly. It will hold up much better on track days with higher temperatures and harder use. We sell alot of 2500 to street guys who don't care about the dust and have no complaints. These are the best value for performance pads available on the street.

Cheers,

Martin

11. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I have had good luck with EBC GreenStuff pads.

12. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    I like the Porterfiled R4S pads and just recently bought some from this firm:

[email protected] / 602.284.9913

http://stores.ebay.com/BRV-Race-Supply

The price was great -- about $70 for the rears on a 328 (Including Tax and Shiping).
    He dropped shipped them from Porterfield so they arrived in a couple of days.

Mark

13. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    They are good when warm, but upon first use when cold they are virtually useless :( This is the V4 version of the pads so if you use them BE CAREFUL when you first use them for the day. i switched to Ferodo DS1100 front (for the front up rated Brembo package) and DS3000 rear (stock calipers).

14. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    Where can you buy the Ferodo pads for 308? What is part number for '83 QV?

15. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I don't know... I had EBC Greenstuff on my 348, and never had a problem when they were stone cold. WAY too much dust however...

16. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Interesting. The 308 here came with stock brake calipers and Green Stuff V4. They were ok i guess. My apologies as when i mean stone cold i mean below 35F (including drives at 0F, so yeah, DAMN cold).

17. Martin Meade

Martin Meade Karting
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2004
    B'ham, WA
    Full Name:
    Martin Meade
    Hi guys,

We are getting new shipments of Ferodo pads about every other week. If you want some for the 308, let me know and I'll tack them on. I am currently out of stock except for the DS3000 that just came in for Steve! Still working on the DS1100...

Let me know.

Martin

18. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

OHHHHH!!! Stone cold to you is literally, COLD! To me, it means a nice sunny day, 75 degrees after parking at Starbucks for an hour to sip a frappucino.

:)

19. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thanks for the update, and TWO SETS of each (front 1100, rear 3000) iwhen you can send them :)

FYI: we chaned my brake system two days ago and the fronts and rears are wearing perfectly. Also many thanks for sending the extra set of rear rotors, they will be 'punished' properly later this year as the 3000 seem to like rotors :)

20. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #20 enjoythemusic, Apr 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Said in good humor because i have driven in -17F temps, but try to keep her off the road until it gets to at least a nice and warm 0F on upward. So i say to you my good friend (in humor)...

PS: the -56F is fronm my weather station here, includes wind chill. i think it was only -25F or so without wind chill that day.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Watry

Watry Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    Berkeley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew Watry
    I have Porterfield street pads on my GT4 and never was happy with them in real-world driving. At least on my car, they needed to get hotter than I was getting them on the street before the worked well. They were darty. Also could not lock the wheels until they really warmed up.

I went back to stock ATE FF grade pads, which are soft and dirty, but give much better response in low to mid-type use, most of what I do on the street.

Andrew Watry

22. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike

Try Repco Brake pads its about $45 a set, No dust and no squeek.

Mike