Springs In My 308 Thingamajob Are Broken, Now What? | FerrariChat

Springs In My 308 Thingamajob Are Broken, Now What?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by donaldh2o, Oct 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donaldh2o

donaldh2o Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Irvine CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    My 308 is missing and backfiring on the front four cylinders. I put a timing light on it and discovered when I revved the engine there was no advance on the flywheel on the front bank.

After removing the distributor and disassembling it, I found a thingamajob that looks like it might have something to do with advancing the ignition.

It attaches to the back of the distributor, has two arms with two spring loaded dohickees in each arm. It appears that only one spring is working, the other three seem to be broken or so weak the dohickees don't work.

Question: Where do I get new springs?

BTW, Hi everyone, I haven't been here for awhile.

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    www.superformance.co.uk do thingamabobs and dohickees by the bag ful!!

Give Mike a call, he'll get it all going for you.....

3. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My feeling is that you're referring to the "points". They are very much related to advance; the idea is that as the cam spins faster, centrifugal (or is that centripetal?) forces come into play, but controlled by those very springs you're referring to.

Sounds like you need a new set of points.

--Mike

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    They sound like springs for the centrifugal advance weights. The coil type.

5. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    If indeed you are refering to the springs that control the centrifugal advance, you must be careful and make sure you are replacing like for like - tension / length. Also there are shims that fit behind the spring to give it more tension if required.

When assembled you will need to check the advance curves for both sets of points, there are special testers for this, but I seem to remember that someone here devised a "simple" tester using an electric drill to run the distributer on the bench - it might be worthwhile checking the archives.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le