Maserati GranSport...what a car!!! | FerrariChat

Maserati GranSport...what a car!!!

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Derek at FoD, Oct 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I just drove a new GranSport for the first time and WOW this is the car Maserati should have built form the beginning! The standard Coupe is a very competent automobile but the GS takes it to another level. Agressive looks, agressive sound, agressive handling...no way does this have just 10 more ponies under the hood, push the needle past 4k rpms and hold on! The Quattroporte was my dream car until driving the GS, now if I could just hit the powerball lottery:)

2. Formula1

Formula1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 3, 2003
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mr. Pole Smoker
    I share your conclusions. I drove a demo version at my dealer 2 weeks ago. it is amazing. Mine is in build status 20.

Sound is amazing, handeling is great, f1 shifter is better than ever. love the interior. i feel like i'm in an F1 car. love the carbon fiber and technic fabric.

Derek. I think it is almost equal to a 360 as far as performance. Thoughts?

3. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    Congratulations on your purchase! You're right, the gearbox is better than any other Maserati I have ever driven and all other Ferraris sans the 575M. My drive was less than 10 miles long and most all of it was straight line speed so for me to compare it to the 360s hadling characteristics would be premature. It sure would be fun to find out though:)
    I'm not quite sure about the door panels, they seem a little too funky for my taste but everything else about the car is absolutely fantastic.

4. Formula1

Formula1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 3, 2003
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mr. Pole Smoker
    from what i understand, the 575 gear box is an evolution of the cambicorsa.

5. fredgrisham

fredgrisham Karting
    BANNED

Aug 6, 2004
    How is the hi-tech like? Is it comfortable?

6. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    Are you talking about the fabric used in the GranSport? If so...yes, it is very comfortable, I'd say just as comfortable as the leather but with a more padded effect.

7. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    The GS' seats are fabulous! Supremely comfortable.

8. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    I read an article about the GS on the french mag "Sport Auto". Summary : not very different from the Coupe CambioCorsa. Does somebody with a good experience of the standard coupé have tested the new GS ? In this case what are your impressions ?

9. Pat S

Pat S Rookie

Apr 25, 2004
    Aurora CO
    Derek,
    I stopped by the showroom and took a look at the GranSport you guys have. Very impressive in person. I didn't realize until then that the trident in front was much larger and the grill is pushed to the front giving it a much more agressive look. I loved the look/feel of the seats and the special wheels that mimic the trident.
    You may want to take a look at the window sticker you guys have though. It's for a coupe GT and shows some incorrect info such as 390hp, 7 spoke wheels, Maser Info Center... Unfortunatly it was priced correctly :) Might just be that there isn't special GranSport one though...

Pat

10. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    These sound like the reactions 360M owners had when driving a 360 Challenge Stradale for the first time. It was a whole new car, improved in every way, and the chorus was always, "This is the car Ferrari should have built in the beginning".

11. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i dont get the excitement ferrari generates out of "tuning" a car when almost everyone gives a thumbs down to ones the owner personalized themselves.

ferrari only does this when the model is near end of production cycle like 360cs or not selling well like the maser gs to try and eek out a profit. anyone can do the same with the stock car by chip, wheels/tires, exhaust, alignment, brake pads, etc.

so dont get me wrong because i like these cars too but i just think its nicer to personalize your car even if its not the way ferrari made it.

12. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I think the reason why people scoff at owners who personalize their Ferrari is because they are in an elite groupe to begin with and in many peoples minds you can't buy anything off the shelf to make the car any better than the factory did. There is also a very storied history to the marque, very romantic in fact when you imagine the cars being hand built rather than a robot slapping everything together.
    BTW, the Maserati Coupe/Spyder are being replaced for the '06MY, hence the arrival of the GS...not because of poor sales. What's wrong with going out with a bang:)

13. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    :) yeah, I saw that too. Don't know what the factory was thinking when they printed the label. This is the first production GS I've seen in person so I can't comment if they are all like this or not...my guess is they are.