Anyone Familiar w/ DHL Freight? | FerrariChat

Anyone Familiar w/ DHL Freight?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Jerrari, Oct 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I spend on average $2000/mo. w/ UPS shipping pressure washers all over the U.S. and have just gotten a very attractive pricing quote from DHL. My question is, does anyone know how they are to deal with? Are they professional, friendly, etc? I think UPS can be a bit of a PITA and they constantly over-charge us each month. Thanks in advance for any help, this is very important to my daily business operations. Jerry.

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    THEY SUCK JERRY

GO WITH FED-EX GROUND..VERY ATTRACTIVE RATES..

3. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Are you sure you need "Freight"??? FedEx ground will deliver up to 150lbs under regular shipping, freight is above that weight.

I used DHL 3 times - NEVER AGAIN. Their tracking system is lacking. They scan when the package leaves the origin, and scan again when it arrives at the destination. In between, there's nothing. So if you are wondering where it is, they can't tell you. And if it gets lost, they will tell you "just wait a few days". They can't track like FedEx/UPS do and know where it is, who touched it last, etc. I shipped stuff for a trade show - they lost it. I asked if they could expedite a search and re-delivery, but they said no. Basically I was totally screwed and they wouldn't/couldn't do anything to help me.

I've also used UPS. They are mediocre, but not great. Lots of little problems - stuff gets damaged, damage claims are a bear, they will never leave a package without a signature unless I specifically request it, international prices are $$$$, and their COD process is not as good as FexEx.

I have used a bunch, and FedEx is the best. They bought RPS who they turned into "FedEx Ground". Prices are very good - lower even than US Postal for domestic packages. You can track much better than the others, and their COD process is exceptional.

One caveat when using FedEx. If you are concerned about fraud - people saying they never got the package, make SURE you check the box "Do not deliver without signature". If you don't specifically request it, it's up to the drivers discretion. If the driver leaves the package on the doorstep and it gets stolen, they will not pay on that claim so long as it was delivered. I've had customers do this to me - and it gets old after you re-ship a few of them.

4. pdiack

pdiack Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    Agree with Bruce. btw, regarding overcharging - I use a company (www.moneybackaudit.com) for my bills (Fedex, in my case) that do a good job of auditing. No affiliation, other than a happy customer.

5. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
    My experience with DHL is that my major supplier switched from UPS about one month ago. I essentially get daily shipments from them but many are lost, late and not delivered at a set time. My UPS always comes between 10:30AM and Noon. My DHL shipments could come anytime after 10AM, if at all. In the last week, my 2-day package was delivered in 5 days, another 2-day package was delivered in 3 days. These people need to get their act together or they won't be in business much longer...

6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    *thumbs up* However, the attractive rates/discounts seem to start applying heavily when you use 1 & 2 day air freight. Nothing on the FedEx Ground.

7. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    NOT TRUE

I GET BETWEEN 10-20% DISCOUNTS WHEN I TRUCK 20LBS OR MORE...

BETTER RATES THAN UPS................SEE YOUR REP..............

8. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    DISCOUNTS APPLY ON FED EX GROUND......SORRY

9. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Does FedX arrive at a consistent time every day? I do need to have a 1/2 hour window to know when my shipper will be here. Also, can you track packages w/ FedX while it is in transit? How do they handle problems? Thanks, J.

10. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    YES JERRY

CAN SET UP TIME FOR PICK UPS WITH THEM

ALSO, EVERYTHING IS TRACKABLE BY COMPUTER AS SOON AS YOU SIGN OUT AND GIVE THE DRIVER A LOG SHEET

VERY EASY..................

11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

FEDEX is the only way to go.............UPS is bad......DHL isn't good or bad....just average...FED-EX is incredible !!!

I just ship documents BTW..........and FEDEX has never let me down yet in 5 years.

12. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    You can get a discount on ground - but like Bruce said it depends on the weight. For light weight packages you're already at their lowest level. My rep claims they dont make money on anything less than 5lb, and actually lose $$. If you do some good volume with ground, or ship stuff more than a few lbs, you should be able to get a decent discount.

I get pretty good discounts for FedEx express - and I'm working on switching completely to FedEx ground from USPS in a couple of months and the discount offered is pretty good.

13. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I just e-mailed FedX. Thanks a million ya bastards!! F-Chat is great isn't it? It's my soul source for ANY question that I have about almost anything? I'll test my theory.......If a monkey were to bite you, what do you suppose they'd give you for it?

14. Cicero

Cicero Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    DHL is in a big expansion mode and bringing on new independent contractors all over to gain market penetration. I got a bid package in the mail to become and IC with at least 16 vans, but it was just confusing. Have you seen their ads that say "Yellow is the new Brown" ? In their IC package they are aiming to move up even with FedEx and UPS so I bet you could get some attractive rates to sign on, but if you get one of these new IC's handling your account that could be part of the screwups.

15. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    EEEKKKK!!!! Today I just sent a shipment to Brazil using DHL for the first time...Hope it gets there!!!

<Stay Tuned>

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

DHL is fabulous for world wide shipping especially to very hard to get to places. I would use UPS or FEDEX in the US.

17. staceman

staceman Karting

Sep 23, 2003
    At Home
    Full Name:
    SGT
    My point of view is based upon importing product from Asia for over ten years. Every experience we have had with DHL has been a complete failure on their part. Late shipments, lost shipments, etc., etc., etc. Never use them. FEDX & UPS are first rate and continue to improve their product and services. Plus they are both U.S. based. I believe that's not the case with DHL. Good luck.

18. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Did you contact your UPS rep and beat him or her up with your competitors pricing? This should be the first thing on your list. If you solicited the quote of a competitor, you should let UPS meet or beat their rates before taking away their business.

19. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

PD.......

I sent a package to Rio de Janeiro once by DHL..........it arrived 5 days later...........no problem.....except it was $65.

Everything I subsequently sent by FEDEX arrived 2-3 days later.........."all the time"........every time.

In fact..........if I get it to the FEDEX airport office before noon........it gets delivered in Rio the next afternoon. Still $65 though.

20. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I ordered some parts from the UK and all seemed to go well until the package made it about 50 miles from my house. I contacted the merchant and was told the package was in Cincinnati. I contacted DHL and they said it was near Seattle but it had the wrong address on it. This was after the package had been sitting there for almost two weeks. I gave them the correct address (although they didn't say what was wrong with it) and still no package. After another week I called again and they said they had the right info now but it had made it this far with NO address and they didn't know why it had not been delivered now. This was on Thursday and they said it would be there the next day. Finally on Monday the package showed up, almost a month after it had been shipped.

If I have a choice I won't ever use DHL again. I had a couple questions. First why had it been sitting at their dist. center and they hadn't bothered to contact me or the shipper? Second, how did it make it as far as Seattle supposedly with NO address. Total BS job if you ask me!!

21. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003

This is how good executives commuicate.

Any ambiguity in this statement? NADA.

Bruce should teach classes on the subject.

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jerry.

UPS rates are negotiable, just like anything else. We currently get discounts of 6-15% on Red, Blue, Orange label and ground shipments depending on the service. Stepest discounts are on the overnight stuff.

Additionally, they provide my shipping dept with PCs, labels, printers, forms, etc. We don't pay a penny for any of this stuff either, including all maintenance.

My experience with FedEx is good, but they force minimum service buys down your throat to get their better rates. And remember, they share airplanes with other freight, and sometimes they get bumped. Their ontime delivery rates, and lost package percentages, can't compare with UPS, who at least for me, really are "the best in the business." We do about $4-5K a week with them.

Our rep always goes to bat for us getting the best rates.

I only have overseas experience with DHL, but they are pushing, big time, into the US market. Not sure I'd put all my product in their hands, just yet.