Should I buy a handgun for my girlfriend? | FerrariChat

Should I buy a handgun for my girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Oct 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The thought of having an intruder break into my home when I am away on business travel makes me want to buy Melodie a handgun. The thought of her or the ten year old getting accidentally injured with the same weapon during her defense makes me not want to buy one.

What is the most prudent thing to do? We have shotguns, but they are not as nimble as a .38.

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    This should be Melodie's decision.

DL

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Ask her first and tell us what she says......Has she handled a handgun before?

4. Bad Chariot

Bad Chariot Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Peter,

It is a proven fact that the pumping sound of a 12 Gauge shotgun is an EXTREMELY effective and proven deterrent for an intruder. Think about it..what intruder is gonna wanna stick around when they hear a shotgun being cocked.

Not knowing your girlfriend I would be MORE nervous with an inexperienced woman handling a gun trying to defend herself who could too easily have the gun taken from her/used against her.

A very close friend of mine is a federal agent and while in South America was mugged by 4 guys during some down time sightseeing. He said to me he was glad he did NOT have his gun on him becuase it probably would have been used against him. Getting a black eye was more appealing then a few rounds in the chest!

Skip the handgun idea and get a 125lb Rotweiller! That will do the trick!

5. Murcielago03

Murcielago03 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2004
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Shaan
    Urgh, get one if you know you'll stay loyal to her....if you get what im saying.

6. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Yeah, just get an MP3 recording of the pump action, hook up your PC to a phat amplifier, and give her a wireless remote/mouse.

For added affect, put it on auto-repeat so it sounds like there's a whole army getting ready.

7. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    LOL!!!!! OMG, that is so funny, I spit my food when I read that!!!

8. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    She would like one. When her father was alive, he took his .45 everywhere (including to our Christmas dinners at home) in a brown paper bag!

9. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Why not a dog? We have a 130lbs black lab ... the dog is a 7y/o puppy, and you can be sure no one will come in the house, let alone touch anyone of the family ... and yet he's the kindest dog ever!!
    More effective than a shotgun going "shlok-shlok" ... the guys won't even touch the front door when they hear the barking!

10. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    In addition, check out a Front Site handgun course(not an endorsement), upon completion, she will become a skilled operator of a handgun having a good advantage, say, of that "intruder" was military trained or a cop gone bad. Many variables apply when the time comes to neutralize an armed threat in your own home.

11. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

This is exactly what we told women when I was a cop, and later as a fed. Do NOT buy her a pistol unless you also get her three WEEKS of daily training. And then go with her to it. It takes us two weeks to teach MEN how to use M-16's.

BTW, how old is she?

12. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    having just completed my ccw course. i highly reco one for any handgun owner. (i thought it was going to be all BS before hand but learned some important stuff)

that said. PUMP SHOTGUN.

13. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Peter- Having met Melodie, I think she is definately capable in mindset to take on an active role in self-defense.

Get her the handgun (better yet, get matching Glock 19s :) and get her training!!! I recomend this for everyone, the gun is useless if the operator cannot weild it effectively, in ****ty conditions, when scared to death, and half blind by sleep.

Take a week's worth of classes (that include shooting-house type of education, not just book stuff. Front Sight is a good one.) and go to the range as often as you can.

Make it a couples-weekend type of thing. It's actually very romantic to stand together in actively standing up and taking hold of your lives.

When you are ready, I would also encourage you to get your CCW permits (to allow you to carry your pistols on your person.) Saldy, our state requires both a permit and 'Good Cause' to issue that permit, along with the second FBI background check, etc. Vermont and Alaska have de-facto carry, which means that any law-abiding citizen may carry their gun on their person if they desire.

Also, in this state, get your handguns now, as the choices of legal guns are going to get even slimmer than they are now.

In 2006 they are going to require:

(a) Loaded Chamber Indicators (Sounds like a good idea, but is really a lousy idea to rely on such a crutch for safety. It can also FIRE the gun in some cases if the gun is droped on the CLI. It also makes guns more complex and likely to fail when you need them most.)

(b) Magazine Disconnects (gun WILL NOT FIRE) withought magazine inserted! This makes it absolutely impossible to perform the police-taught 'tactical reload' when you leave 1 in teh gun during reloading, 'just-in-case' you are surprised.

This is already signed into law, with the date of first effect 1/1/2006/7.

14. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Good god.

Glad i am in NC and not Ca!!!!

You guys got it tough!!!

15. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Do you have a security system? That seems like a better first step.

16. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I agree w/ GTO. Get an alarm system first.

That having been said, I think your decision should be based on the ten-year-old that was mentioned. You did mention you already have shotguns.... does the kid know all the rules, i.e. don't touch unless an adult approves and is present, don't tell friends where the guns are, etc? The worst thing to do is have a kid in the house who hasn't been indoctrinated (sp?) with proper gun safety, handling, use, and etiquitte.

Also, think about where it will be kept. If I were in your shoes, I would get a small safe w/an electronic keypad that is easy to use, but not so easy a ten year old can crack the code. Bolt it to the inside of the nightstand drawer.

17. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

All the Canadian posts ask you to think of another alternative first ;) That's where I'm from so ditto here.

What kind of neighborhood do you live in? If break-ins are rare, I would think that introducing a gun will only create problems. Heck, you could be coming home unexpectedly and she blow your head off. Now, if the neighborhood has had problems then it may be more justified.

18. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    These actually sound like ok concepts, for guns used in home defense, and if the owner desires these features. I don't like that they are mandated by law.

I made a serious mistake once by stupidly pulling the trigger in order to decock a gun that had a decocker safety on it. (Ruger P94) I should have known better, I was examining it because I hadn't taken it out of its storage box in several months. I was alone in the house, but there could just as easily have been someone home. Before returning it to its box, I pulled the slide back to ensure the chamber was clear, put a loaded magazine in the reciever and pulled the slide back one more time to visually confirm that there was not a round in the chamber. Of course, when I let go of the slide, I had chambered a round. Thank God I didn't forget the Cardinal rule, which is, always treat a gun as if it's loaded and point it in a safe direction. When I pulled the trigger to "decock" the 9mm round discharged through the subfloor of the 2nd floor bedroom and into and off of an interior downstairs wall, lodging itself into another wall.

Would either of the afore mentioned features have prevented my stupidity? I doubt it. This was no weapon malfunction, it was pure and simple irresponsible gun handling. I hadn't taken the time to review in my mind the operation of the weapon in my hand. "That gun should have known that I didn't MEAN to pull the trigger"

Why did I just bother to tell this story? To remind you other nitwits like me to respect your guns, no matter how comfortable you may feel with their operation. And don't rely on your gun to do your thinking for you. :)

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Okay, my sick mind immediately called up the following mental images:

She (returning to hunting camp): "Did you miss me?"
    He (cleaning rifle): "Apparently."

Salesman: "Would you like to get a vacuum for your wife"
    Man: "It's a deal" (handing over wife).

But seriously; the only dangerous weapon is a well trained individual. The tools used in self defense are only effective to the degree the wielder has been trained to use them. So, whether you opt for a shotgun, a handgun, a tazer, pepper spray, or a samurai sword (in a childproof scabbard), the training is the key.

There's nothing more dangerous than a lioness defending her den -- and no extra weapons involved.

Attitude is more important than hardware. Even a chair can be a deadly weapon, when wielded by someone determined to be the winner of the encouter.

20. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I dont want people with PMS & little grip on their emotions to have weapons, especially near me

21. gentry

gentry Guest

you dont use pistols for home defense. Shotguns are your best firearm for home defense and it doesnt have to be a 10 or 12 guage either.

You want a home defense weapon to hit who you are aiming at and not who might be sleeping behind a wall. Pistol rounds, as well as 10-12 guage shotguns rounds will make it through a typical home wall with no problem.

While a 20 guage will probably go through a wall, the damage it will do on the otherside is much less.

I would go with a small 4-5 shot 20 guage pump shotgun with a pistol grip or collapsable stock and as short a barrel as allowed by law (in Texas that is 18" overall). That way it is nimble enough for a females generally smaller frame to be able to manuever.

Shotguns are also used in FAR LESS accidents at home.

Pistols and rifles just are not the safest bet for home defense. If you are going to use a pistol for home defense, use a smaller caliber and use hollowpoint as they are less likely to travel through walls.

Additionally, many states have laws about firearms in homes with children. The laws require ammo to be separate from the weapon and the weapon to be locked. This defeats the purpose of having a firearm for home defense. If you cant keep it within reach and loaded, there isnt much point.

Your safest bets against home invasions are strong door jams with strong bolts as well as strong windows.

Good luck.

Here is a good one. Simply replace the stock with a collapsable/pistol grip.

http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/870_spsdeer_20ga.htm

EDIT:

Dont forgot, another reason why shotguns are better for home defense is @ 2am when you are half asleep, you can be alot more accurate with a 3' spread of buckshot than you can with a .38 of an inch slug.

22. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    seriously, teach the 10 year old to respect the firearm, allow them to safely handle it unloaded and they will leave it alone. a shotgun is a great equalizer and you you have less damage to you and your neighbors property in the event of an incident. even in self defence, if your bullet gets the bad guy , but tears into your neighbors house, you will have BIG trouble ahead of you. a 12ga with #6 shot is deadly for in house short range. buckshot and slugs will go through all your stuff and the neighbors stuff . if they are not in the house ( more or less) you usually cant shoot them anyway. i love the orange combat sights on my Military / Police Winchester !

23. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Your GF will never fire that gun at another person. Most people just can't do it. Your best bet. GET HER A DOG. A well trained dog is better then any GUN. Persoanlly, I have a well trained attack cat. I trained him so that anytime someone comes in the house he runs to the bedroom and jumps on the bed looking for a treat. Simple yet very effective.

If you must go the firearn route.

Get something easy to get a grip on at night and LOUD. A 357 a 44 or a shotgun of any sort come to mind.

The only reason to keep a gun around the house for home protection is to wake up the neighbors.

I have a .44 magnum for this purpose. Any fool in the house who sticks around after hearing that puppy roar deserves to have his head blown clean off.

24. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    why not get an airgun? My gamo is pretty lifelike and the berettas are amazing. Unless someone breaking in knows their guns, they'll be out of there once they see it.

If not, i'm sure it'd still sting quite a bit without the after effects of a real bullet (you know, death, surgery, aputation etc... ;) )

25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes..then buy her a bazooka and then and anit aircraft gun. Maybe you should also mount an M-60 on a turret on her car as well. Why not give her an AK-47 and a grenade belt as a complete to the Bazzoka. Then give her the complete RAMBO collection along with a membership to rednecks are us gun club.

Why don't you invest in a home seurity system and then give your loved ones the gift of knowlege and street smarts. If you are that worried about sombody breaking into your home then move from the neibourhood. You are more then likely in an area that is not safe to begin with. Why put your loved one at risk with the gun in the home to begin with? Do you realize that that very weapon you provided could be used against those you are trying to protect? I would seriouly think twice about purchasing a gun for this reason.

Funny how it seem that folks would rather purchase a very dangerous weapon before investigating other reasons why you feel you need to have this type of protection. There are many other ways to prtect yourselves then running to the local gun shop. Life is not like the movies or rap videos. A gun can cause more problems then they solve.