1972 Dino Alternator Cover | FerrariChat

1972 Dino Alternator Cover

Discussion in '206/246' started by 365GTC, Oct 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 365GTC

365GTC Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Lexington, Virginia
    After suffering 3 alternator failures in as many years,we found the culprit to be a very slow oil drip from the valve cover.Having repaired,it appears there are brackets to hold a cover(no longer there)that prevents oil from dripping on the alternator.
    I have looked in the owner's manual to no avail,but wonder if others have run into this issue,and how they have managed a cure.
    If you have repaired an alternator previously,you know the wheel,inner panel,gas tank,etc. all must be removed as part of the fix,so it is quite important to get it right the first time!!!
    Is the cover(if it really exists)available? If not,could I make one? Any drawings available?
    Any help much appreciated!!! Thank you.

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

There's no shield indicated in the parts manual, or the repair manual. But, why couldn't you just fashion one out of 10 gauge aluminum, and affix it to the bracket.

Looks like it would fit, and the aluminum sheds heat quickly.

I'll post drawings later, can't get them to upload right now.

3. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    My 1971 European 246 GT has a heat shield that goes around the alternator. Since I don't have a parts manual for the other versions, I am not sure if the US versions with the smog pump had one.

The part number on the one for my model is 300015. This heat shield does not have a cover over the top of the alternator, it only surrounds the sides and bottom. This is listed on www.superformance.co.uk under the exhausts section.

4. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    My 73 GTS has a shield around the alternator. If fact is was exactly that which caused me a shorting problem in LeMans this year. After some time fiddling I tracked it down to the metal shield vibrating and touchng the connection on the back of the alternator - it turns out that the shield orginally had an asbestos lining.

So if you make one up, ensure that you put a non metallic lining to prevent this happening.

5. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#5 dm_n_stuff, Oct 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. 365GTC

365GTC Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Lexington, Virginia
    Thank you so very much. I have already fashioned a 10 guage aluminium cover,but need to come up with a non-toxic, non-metallic liner.You have been a great help!!!

7. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Take an inner tube, cut it, and affix it with high temp glue. Or, even easier, just smear the entire underside with a very thin coating of high temp gasket maker. Comes in a tube, it's red, and will spread very thin with a putty knife. Let it cure, it's flexible, form the shield to whatever shape you want, and away you go.

Permatex High Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker #26B is what I use. You cna buy it at Pep Boys. Just rough sand the underside for maximum bite.