Will I pi** my boss very soon??? | FerrariChat

Will I pi** my boss very soon???

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 62 250 GTO, Oct 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Short story:

I have been there 10 months. I was "hand picked" from a group of 15-20 men and women with a sales background, all were approached in the first place. So I feel like they want/ need me in some small way. Anywho, we are paid a salary and bonuses with a "top up". The top up is for extra projects or time you log in for.

Now the problem:

My group has a dozen people in it, we all have basicly the same level of power/ pull within the co. One guy has taken 4 weeks off work in 10 months and I have yet to see him blow his nose or cough. I brought this to the attention of our boss, who told me "we have no sick policy, we trust people to be adults".

Fact:
    Adults are only adults because other adults will fire the first set of adults for being childish, lazy tools!

Sooooo, I was called at 1:00am after a company road trip and asked to be there at 5:00 am beacuse "SOMEONE" called in sick. This guy went home sick at 7:00 am the day before and I was told he didn't look or feel sick at all. So we thought he would just come in the next day. Anyway, I come in on 2 hours sleep, get the important stuff done and book off about 2 hours early, after I told the boss who called me that I would do just that, {when I got in that morning}. At that time, I told her I would bill for the full day. She said it "wasn't her call". I really don't care about the time or the money, it's all about standards and principles.

Later I was pretty much told to "eat **** and beans" about the extra money. That I am fine with, I didn't expect or want them to say yes. Now I have the carpet under their feet firmly in my hands. The next time I get a call from work, it goes to "the machine". If they want me to come in early or work on my days off {ONE A WEEK, never a weekend or holiday!}, I can simply say "I didn't check the machine." They don't pay for my cell phone after business hours, I told them they should for everyone, for business reasons, they declined.

So now I sit, waiting, not to answer the phone if I hear a certain ringtone.
    Would me never answering my phone off duty and never covering others sick time or vacation time give cause to can my a$$?
    Or would this just make me "not a team player".

It isn't in my contract and no one ever said anything about changing my days to cover for others. I have even increased my workload over the months to show "I'm a team player", but they keep comming and comming.

There isn't really room for going up or down the ladder in my current position within the co. It really won't affect money either.

P.S. I have taken one day off in 10 months and covered dozens of "holidays and sick shifts". My sick day was after we ordered fish, half of the finance dept. was off for 1-5 days. I have even worked a few weeks on end, when no one else would.

In 4 days when my day off arrives, I really won't care about this, but I will stick to my guns about covering sick shifts and holidays.
    They can treat me like a dog as long as they clean my poopy bum, feed me, walk me and rub my back. But they aren't doing any of that.

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Since it sounds like you're already high up and there's not much further to go, i would stick to your guns... Either that or have a sit down with the higher ups and explain your frustration... How worried are you about being canned...? If it's gonna end your world, then i would be a little more careful, but if you think they need you and can't afford to lose you, then play a little; see what happens... Is ten months a long time for someone to be an employee at the company for which you work...? If not, ten months is pretty new and you'd have to be pretty damn special to get some will to bend for you...

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Good points. I don't think 10 mo. is a long time at any company other than a Walmart or corner store. We have to learn a lot of info and even get a sense of what the client is thinking and that takes a bunch of time, so yes, I am still newish, but... There has been a revolving door put in place here and the amount of "neewbs" in all dept. is almost shocking. When I arrived there was 15 people, now there are 12 and there are only 4 people who were here when I was hired. We swaped 2Vp's and an office manager, a bunch from finance, sales, dist. etc.... I really don't think they are looking to "swap" anyone else. In fact an office joke about not knowing any co workers met cold eyes from one of the Vp's.

As for me being "high up" I like the title and the money, but I can get that from a dozen places within 20 blocks and After a few months training someone could fill in for me, so I am not bullet proof. I am however the most fab u lus guy in the place. There isn't anything I hide from, I will do anything and anyone I'm asked to. I tell funny jokes and I'm always early. Who wouldn't love me. I nod evertime to the workaholics and don't make a funny face when I smell the drunks. I'm charming {At Work Only!}
    I think there is too much "I'm a thinker" or "I'm important" self believers in there. I really can't think of a way to stay there long term. I thought even if they double my pay, I would still want out.
    Now tell me that isn't a sign.
    But I don't like looking for work and I don't want to change my timetable for my business ideas. So I think I will let the machine answer that certain ringtone and I think I will "make plans" before the vacation list comes out. I won't ruffle the feathers and I'll keep a pleasant tone. Meh, it's all anyone can do these days.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

One more question, how do you get sugar out of a Lexas gas tank with the plate "Ownzyou"? -- Yes that is a plate for One of my "bosses", can you believe it!?

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    You sound pissed.......... I'd probably be also. So, don't answer the phone for awhile and do like you said, come up with an excuse. I wouldn't tell them your dissatisfaction, they might not understand. You've already complained about the slacker and that got you nowhere. You seem to be the "goto" guy....... give yourself a break and see how you feel after you cool down.

5. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, did you really put sugar in his gas tank...? That's funny as hell, but it'll severely screw up the car... If his car blows up, when he gets another Lexus, just buy him a present and leave a note on it... The note should just say "i'm sorry." When he opens the gift and it's a license plate that says "OWNED", he'll know it was YOU that blew up his car...

Ok, but that will get you fired...

But it sounds like half of you WANTS to get fired...

As pleasant as it is to have some punctual, charming, joke-teller around, it still doesn't pay the bills - so unless you're getting all your **** done, i'd say tread lightly... However, if you're an assett to the company and you feel like you're being shat on everyday, then yes, stand your ground and see what happens...

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Not this time, I have outgrown that. But... I'm surrreeeeeee it's been done before. My thinking is, if someone costs you money, jam them up for at least the same amount. A few grand here and there, well golly, that could be an entire fleet of ADT vans! Not to mention the phone call to the city complaining of a "bunch of guys" knocking on my door that don't have direct sellers permits. Now that's some coin! Pay the fines, background check fees, paying fees to get temp. permits, keep the insurance on vans not being used, keeping multiple crews off the streets for a week or two... 20 guys minus two weeks could be $200,000. Now that hurts.

1 guy making a sale in 40 minutes that grosses the owner $1,000 over three years. Minus $100 to the salesman, 250-300 for the system {depending on your deal with ADT Inc.}, van insurance, gas, 80ish to the installer, 1 cell phone call

Multiply that by 20 guys a night only making one sale each. Back in the day I was good for 8 each week. Biggest week was fourteen. On that scale I made the owner 14,000 in one week and myself 2100. I love trailer parks! Them and co ops! Ahhhh you can only cut so many corners before people catch up! :(

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I'm pretty ballsy, I'm the kind of guy that would build my own company at a loss, sell my product at a loss, just to ruin yours. I don't think these people understand that pi$$ing me off is always a bad idea. Lucky for them, I'm always too tired to fight back! :)

I wish I could get an ADT dealership! I wish I wish! Now that you guys read the above posts, If anyone has an ADT dealership, hire me. I'll increase your sales by 50% in one month and then another 50% by the second month. I come with only one request, make sure your vans have proper A/C during the summer. Ok, two requests, have an incentive program.

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Cut off your face to spite your nose...? i hear you...

i say play your game; see where you go, see where and what it gets you... There is no reward without risk; but keep us posted... :)

9. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Remind me to sell you office supplies at 'low low' prices when you're building that company :D)

Seriously, sounds like you need to stand up. Everybody likes a guy who goes the extra mile and never complains even when **** on. But nobody respects them either.

Giving 110% is great, but you have a RIGHT and often a DUTY TO YOURSELF to demand at least 105% in return.

I was working for a client who came to me at the makeshift integration setup in teh hangar we were working in on-site. He told me he was 'sorry' but he had to decline to pay me for the rental of my airborne RAID disk array product ( http://www.cannonaerospace.com/ ). Mind you, I already had a SIGNED PURCHASE ORDER from that company detailing our hourly rate and compensation for renting the gear. I even extended them a very favorible rate on renting something we generally, ahem, always, SELL.

Well, guess who's hangar was un-manned the next day? I came this close to walking out on the spot, but frankly I owed the pilot and engineers present better than that.

10. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Well, if these people won't pay me for work done, well, I don't really know what I would do first. But my computer will be empty and there won't be a guy in town that doesn't know our rates. Besides, they are stiff, not stupid. I have one rule that I always take with me, don't steal from me. They would have much better success, firing me without cause, then flat out not paying. Because that's when, two years down the road, you meet the hood of your car, with your brain.

11. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Here's my suggestion - go work for yourself. You are a smart guy, driven (or at least you can maintain momentum for whatever reason) and if you're good at sales, go get yourself an ADT shop, or a satellite dish franchise, or, an insurance agency. It doesn't matter what you're selling, just cut as many middlemen out as you can. be the only middleman. Get your franchise to the point that you can hire some '62 250 GTO' clones to sell for your firm, and you're way in there!

There are a couple of sattelite dish firms that distribute both 'dish direct' and 'dish network ' packages, and they advertise heavily on the radio, so heavily and for such a long span of time, that I could give you their numbers by heart, and even the spokesman/owner's name. I bet if they called me on the phone, I'd recognize their voice because they advertise on EVERY dammd radio station in town. Point is, these guys probably started with a telephone and a sales agreement with the dish companies, and not much capital.

12. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil

I tried to get a dealership while working at a dealership. That's a no no. Multiple people were fired, and it was at the same time that Tyco VP's were found to be taking money from the co., {Tyco owns ADT} so the dealership would be a headache from the start. I am in a good spot to watch the city though. We are one of the largest employers and deal with important poeple/ companies. So if I jump ship, I may land on a good dingy. {That happens a lot. People go into government/ "big business".} Anywho, I'm not quite ready to go out on my own, I won't accelerate my plans just to leave this place. Besides, we are in violation of major copyright laws, so it will take some time to find out who will fall for each set of infractions, if I think bringing down the house will make me feel better. :) Probably not, but just thinking about it is he!!ish good fun!

13. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    So, let's see if I have this straight.

You currently work for a company that's operating (in some form or fashion) ilegally, yet you expect them to be above board in regards to your pay. Now you say that if things don't go your way you will commence "bringing down the house".

I'll be honest with you, it sounds like the two of you were made for each other!!

Why would you expect a company that doesn't conduct business fairly to be fair with it's employees? It reminds me of the guy who meets a married woman, they get together and then he's surprised when she does the same thing to him. HMMM

14. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    You've been there ten months, and you want to tell them how to run their shop?

Or is it that you feel that someone else is "getting away with" something that you aren't getting?

You have a couple of choices. You can tend to your own knitting and figure that someone who isn't pulling his weight will reap the consequences (heck, the "higher ups" might be watching already). Or you can presume no competence on the part of the bosses -- which would be a prime reason to change employers. Or you can act like a spoiled brat until it's you they call on the carpet.

But if your instinct is to "bring down the house" because you're not feeling appreciated (after less than a year), I'm not sure I'd want to hire an ADT dealership you were running.

Life is not a "zero sum game". You are not obligated to lower your standards to what you think you see around you.

The first question you have to ask yourself is whether you are satisfied with your performance. What you think of other workers in the office is - frankly - not your job. That's what managers are for. Either the managers do their work or they don't. Whether you do your work is largely a completely separate issue.