Reverse = First??? | FerrariChat

Reverse = First???

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by M.James, Oct 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Strange 'happening' during a drive today in my 84 308 QV......after some spirited driving this afternoon, I parked the car briefly to run an errand. Upon my return, the car would not engage reverse gear - it would move forward instead! After several tries, a friend had to push the car back so we could leave the parking space - the car kept wanting to move forward in reverse gear. Finally, after about 6-7 tries, reverse was found. Why is this happening, and how can it be fixed?

2. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Your shift linkage is out of alignment. It's very common. Directions are in the shop manual. There is also a rubber seal that goes bad that must be replaced by loosening the motor mounts and tilting the engine to access the linkage. That's a little more complicated.

3. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    As David mentioned, it's a shift alignment issue. Sometimes the set screws that holds the shift forks in place loosen up. It's not uncommon to have an occurance of this once every two to four years if you drive your car a lot.

4. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I'm looking at the gearbox linkage in the shop manual now....how 'buried' is this mechanism?

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    My car occasionally exhibits the same problem, usually after a long drive on a very hot day.

The linkage arm & shift fork bolts are all pretty readily accessable by removing the tranny sump cover.
    CAUTION:
    However, do it very slowly & carefully as there are 3 springs, 3 steel balls, & a metal spring cap that are held in place by the sump cover & will come out when you remove it. They provide the 'click' feel when gears are shifted & ensure the gears are exactly lined up. They're located close together on the clutch end of the transmission sump cover.

See: