Spamming through Private Messages!!! | FerrariChat

Spamming through Private Messages!!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Oct 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should Private Messaging be removed for Non Subscribers?

1. No

2. Yes and I'm a Non Subscriber

3. Yes and I'm a Subscriber or w/same permissions

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We've always had a problem with spammers using the private message system. It takes some work on their part, but they can just PM people individually until they get tired or banned.

I know everyone enjoys the PM system, but we can't allow it to be abused. As our community now grows beyond 12,000 users and we're adding another 1,000 a month we need to work harder at maintaining quality.

When Non Subscribed users abuse the system, then they are ruining it for all Non Subscribed users. From day one I've said there isn't an overall problem with having Non Subscribed users and I will always believe that. However, we need to analyze ways to maintain our community quality and right now I want to explore removing Private Messaging permissions from Non Subscribed users.

The Positives...

1) Spamming would be eliminated through PM almost altogether. If a subscribed user spammed, then it could be dealt with more directly and if it continued, then it would start getting expensive for the user every time they resubscribe.
    2) Less resources used by Non Subscribed users, so better site performance for everyone.
    3) This may or may not motivate more users to subscribe, if so, then there would be additional resources for FerrariChat.com to make improvements.

The negatives...

1) PM'ing between Non Subscribed users is very popular and probably more than 99% of the current messages are fine.
    2) Non Subscribed users wouldn't even be able to receive messages from moderators or subscribed users.
    3) Some off line discussions would now be forced back into the forums.
    4) Punishing the masses just for a few bad apples.

I'm sure there is more on both sides. I really don't know my view at this point, that's why I want to openly discuss with the community. When everyone in the community has input, then we usually end up with the best result. This community is ours, not mine or his or theirs.

Thank you,
    rob

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    FWIW, i've never gotten a spam PM.

But, if this is happening, I think the positives you list far outweigh the negatives.

3. jonathanp

jonathanp Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Peck
    I havent' gotten one either FWIW

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Me too

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    You're missing an option:

No, and I am a subscriber

I have NEVER received a spam through PM. Since you've removed email for non-subscribers, PMs are the only way to talk to some of the members here.

While this would generate more revenue for you by increasing the number of subsribers, I strongly believe that removing the PMs would damage the sense of community that keeps people at this particular forum.

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Can you set it up so that non-subscribers can't PM subscribers, only reply to a pm sent to them, or something like that?

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    As an aside -- You really should have a "site discussion" forum for this stuff, and the 'site down' and those type discussions

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This is the most active forum and most diverse group of users. So I think it's the best place for site discussions and announcements. Who would really go to a site discussion forum? We have a moderators forum and that's where most things are discussed, we've been discussing this there for several days.

Well, I know spammers aren't dumb enough to send me PM's. I didn't know how widespread the spamming was. Seems like many of our 25 moderators have been spammed. Tillman, you're pretty active on here, so if you haven't been spammed, then maybe it was just isolated.

So I can tell you right now that if the problem isn't as bad as the moderators and I thought, then we should keep everything as is.

9. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    Is there any way to have a probational period for newly registed, unsubscribed users? I realize this would not make it impossible for degenerates to clog up PM inboxes, but would it dissuade them? If you must be a member for 30 days before you have PM priviledges, it makes it more difficult to sign up and spam.

Again, I realize this is not foolproof, but it seems it would curtail the spamming while still giving established, registered, unsubscribed users an important benefit.

10. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

Yeah. That would make sense. Not that i need to worry :D

11. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I guess we can call this the ALLANLAMBO Rule ???????

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Virtually every rule we have is because of Allan. :) Amazing that one person can be such a jerk to ruin it for everyone else. Don't need rules if you don't need rules.

13. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    C'mon now Gary Green did his fair share to get rules implemented Don't blame it all on Allan :)

14. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

Same here; I voted no

15. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
  16. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I got a spam (i think) of some guy selling a tag heuer clock. It was a cool clock tho ;)

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm not as concerned on the one offs, but we have had confirmed cases of many PM's sent out. Just didn't know if it was 20 or 200.

18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No only have I never gotten a spam message, but I'm not in the loop for Rob's new feature for us "lifting pinky finger" Rosso members. Geeze Louise, I musta done somebody wrong.

Dale

19. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Can anyone verify getting spam here? Seems like we've yet to hear one. If this is characteristic, it would seem ratting these PM spammers out to Mods or whoever would pretty much solve the problem.

P.S. - OK, there was one :)

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Moderators tonyh and lafun2 had personally received it. Darth said that he had heard many others had received it.

So considering only a few moderators were taking part in the discussion, you can see how I thought it was more widespread. Good news if it isn't.

21. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    the only spam i recieved was from my ad on ferrariads for my 308. you know the " we will send you extra money and you send it back " scam , among others. i didn't worry about it since my terms were to be paid in person in cash ect. if we over regulate the ability for new members to communicate with the rest of the community, we will all suffer. many that lurk here and are unsubscribed, may be of great use to to the Ferrari community from time to time. i used to be the new guy, non owner. and i wont forget how hard i have worked to get where i am now. :)

22. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Rob,

It is highly likely, that the PMs we were discussing in the mods forum, are not considered spam by many of the F chatters. ;)

23. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I voted "no" because I think the spamming problem can be controlled adequately via banning. Now, if we get an onslaught at some point such that we can't ban people fast enough, then I'd vote "yes".

24. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

If spam from un-subscribed users is felt to be a problem, it might be a nicer solution to base the privilege of using the PM system on post count rather than on paying up cash. Say once someone has participated to the tune of 50 or 100 posts they can then send and receive PMs? Rather than punishing the un-subscribed members who do participate, it might be better to reward the ones that decided too.