360 Tire Choices | FerrariChat

360 Tire Choices

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by VWH3RD, Oct 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I am looking to put some new rubber on my 360.

What is everyone going with for new tread on their cars?

ps did not find anything in the search

Vernon(enjoying my TUBI!!!!!!)

2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I am very impressed with the Bridgestone S-02A tires that came on my 360. They are beyond my expectations on the track, grip exceedingly well and wear even better. On the street, they are quiet and grip way beyond anything you will ask of them in any sane driving. Haven't tried them in the wet, but haven't heard of any problem in that area. I've had Michelin Pilot Sports and these are much better tires, IMO.

Gary

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Early generation or the new Mich Piolt PS2?

4. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Not the PS2. Friend with GT3 tells me the PS2 is improved but still pretty floppy sidewall.

Gary

5. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    The Pilots seemingly give a hard street ride. The P -Zeros's offer a softer -grippier ride, but with spirited driving are maybe good for 2000 miles.
    Next time on the track try a set of Yokohama slicks or even Dunlops.
    Finishing up on my Pirelli's, don't know what I'm going to try next, but price will determine the choice.

6. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    A great choice if you do a good amount of track driving is the Toyo RA-1. Great tire on the track, decent on the street, and has very good wear considering the grip levels (far above any street tire, but not as grippy as a Hoosier or a race slick). I know guys who have gotten 5000mi out of them in mixed track and street use.

Gary

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agreed that the PS2 sidewall is not as stiff as the Kumho 712 from personal experience. Actually i prefer this PS2's softer sidewall as i lost a full inch of sidewall during a recent rim/tire upgrade. The new dual-adjustable suspension on the 308GTS QV can stiffen things up as needed (plus the usual tire pressure tweaks). So for me, the softer sidewall is a good thing :)

BTW: was out driving her hard today and pulled nearly a full G in cornering with the PS2 and new rims. Color me a VERY happy man.

8. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    I've gone through the Pirelli PZeros (2 sets), the Michelins and now have the Potenza S-02A's. I find the Potenzas a good deal better than the other 2 on the road, in the dry and definitely in the wet. I have not tracked the car with the Potenzas but I will on Tuesday, so I can report back on track use.

The Potenzas are also a good bit cheaper than the rest, an added bonus. However, they ride slightly harder than the other 2, you feel more bumps.

9. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I think you'll like them at the track...be sure to let us know.

Gary

10. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    I had to replace the fronts on my 360, so went for new Michelin pilot sports to keep the set matched, then did my 1st track day, guess I should have replaced all 4 with Pirelli's, the Michelins push real bad in the tight turns, and they a fair bit more pricey than the Pirelli's. Other 360 owner had Pirreli's on and no understeer. Would love a set of challenge rims with slick on for track days.

11. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Not sure about what insurance companies are like in your city but the RA-1 do not meet Ferrari's load rating on the tyre placard in the car. The 360 requires a load rating of 99 for the rears which is 1709 lbs. The RA-1 are 1521 lbs. This would make the car "un-roadworthy" in Australia and insurers would decline coverage if you had an accident. Also, on track days if the scrutineers are picky they would also fail your car as it is unroadworthy. In FIA governed road rallies like the Targa Tasmania the car would also be ineligible with these tyres.

The 360 and 550 have similar problems because of the 99 load rating for the rear. Pirelli only released a Corsa (R-compound) with this load rating a few months ago but ther is no matching Corsa for the front for the 550.

12. KAMcDonald

KAMcDonald Rookie

Sep 19, 2003
    Ranson, WV
    when i asked the race director at my delaership (FMoW) he advised against putting race slicks on a street 360, something about too much grip for the stock bushings and that it would cause some damage. he said that getting a set of DOT race tires was preferable.

13. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Thanks for the information, I wasn't aware of that. Guess I'll stick with the Bridgestones.

Gary

14. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I agree with that statement. Just slapping full race slicks on a street automobile is not a good idea in my opinion. It's not very quick because the suspension is not designed to take full advantage of the slicks, and it does put undue stress on suspension components. DOT tires like the Hoosier are as extreme as I would go with stock suspension.

Gary

15. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    I have a question. What is the mileage expectancy of the different tires discussed here?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers

16. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Of course this will vary wildly depending completely on how you drive. One data point: 3800 miles on my Bridgestones with 3 track days, most of the miles aggressive, and they are about 25% worn.

Gary

17. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Gary, you know I've never seen a 360 or 550 with Bridgestones in Australia! They seem to all have Pirellis. And... I think the S02 are no longer available in Australia. Strange isn't it. Did your 360 come with S02 as OEM?

18. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan

Thanks guys, yeah already had to replace the front bushings & steering arm joints, no need to put extra stress on them. Has anyone gone for wider front rubber to cure some of the understeer, perhaps to 235's?

19. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Yup, OEM on my 2004, and they are still available as replacements. Here in U.S. the 360 can come with Pilot Sports, PZeros, S-02As, or Goodyears.

Gary

20. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I haven't had any understeer problems with my 360 at the track events I have been to, with stock rubber. I think the car is extremely well balanced as it is, personally. I think some of this has to do with technique...if you approach a slow corner and are too aggressive with your turn-in, you can induce understeer, but if you're reasonably smooth and give the fronts a chance to do their job, they'll bite just fine. A touch of trail brake into the slow corners will rotate the car for you also.

Gary

21. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    1) I have put my Challenge slicks on my street car for track use a few times with no problems. Challenge cars have hardened (ceramic??) bushings to take the extra strain, while street cars don't, so most dealers do not recommend this, but if you are smooth and careful you will not destroy your suspension. But I would not recomend it for permanent track use. DOT slicks are a good way to go too.

2) I have used 10 mm wider tires in a stickier compound for my race slicks (245/645/18 front, 305/680/18 rear, D5 compound). They are MUCH better than the stock slicks. I would definitely try a wider road tire or DOT slick for a road car, maybe a 235/645/18 front and 295/680/18 rear). These numbers are pretty much the same as 235/40/18 and 295/35/18. Remember that road car rims are narrower than BBS Challenge rims by about 1 inch.

3) A set of Challenge tires and rims is very expensive (approx 10k new, maybe 6-7k used). Better off getting a used set of 360 rims and mounting DOT slicks on them. I've seen a set of rims for 2k and 4 DOT slicks can be had for under 1k. Unless you are a VERY experienced track driver you will not know the difference between the wider full race slick and the narrower DOT slick. If you are in the northeast get a fairly soft compound-more grip.

22. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Just did 3 trackdays with the Bridgestone Potenza S-02A tires on a 360 spider, and they are markedly better track tires than the Pirellis or Michelins. Excellent grip, plenty of warning before they lose grip, and oversteer easily corrected on the throttle.

But boy do I miss my 360Ch with the slicks. Totally different animal. This weekend really pointed out the difference between an excellent street car that can be used on the track (and still blow by P-cars and Z-06's) , versus a purpose-built race car.

Anyway, the Potenza's are great.