Removal of Mondial 3.2 engine | FerrariChat

Removal of Mondial 3.2 engine

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by kdross, Oct 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    How easy is it to remove the engine in a Mondial 3.2? It looks very similar to removing the engine of a TR. Are there any tricks?

Thanks.

Ken

2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I believe it comes out the top like the 308

3. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

I believe it comes out the bottom attached to the rear subframe as a whole assembly. From the bottom.

4. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    I did my 86 cab last year and it comes out the bottem like the 348 and the 355's.It is not hard if you have a lift ,it can be done with out a lift but much ,much easier with a lift.I made a dolly to hold the assembly on ,put it under the car ,lowered the car to the dolly ,holder ,un bolted everything and ,lifted the car up ,up and away.
    david

5. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    I believe it comes out the front. pull the seats out, undo the wingnut, and you should be able to pull it out through the passenger door.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    She comes out the bottom. Not that bad to do at all. But I find them a little more time consuming to get out then the TR..I don't know why but I find them a little more difficult..may have alot to do with space limitations on the 3.2 Cabs.

7. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thanks Tom. This is a 3.2 Coupe, so it should have more room than a cab. We need to do a major on the car and did not know if it would be easier and quicker to pull the engine or to leave it in the car. We are leaning toward removal.

Ken

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I do the major's with the enigne in the car if it's only a belt swap,with cam covers and cam seals. Quite easy to do with the enigne in. I think if your going to replace all hoses and fuel hoses and intend to clean everything to make her look new again..then go for the pull..it's so much easier to replace all related fuel hoses with the engnie out of the car.