'83 308GTB on eBay.... | FerrariChat

'83 308GTB on eBay....

Discussion in '308/328' started by NoTorq, Oct 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Not a darn thing.....he has gone to lengths to show the rough paint spots.

Obvious respray, as the black reveal line along the middle is GONE!

It does in fact have the euro treatment of the front end, recessed fogs, bi color turn lenses, deep spoiler, yet the rear shows the amber lens with backup lights at center, a US feature.

Any body run this VIN and confirm this is a Euro spec car? Be careful with that part, there is Euro and then there is Euro look..... a converted car to US standard will have associated DOT certification paperwork.

Nice color!

2. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    All the euro cars after 1980 have these same rear lights.
    First I thought this one has a recessed US rear bumper, but they don't crack like this one did so it must be a thin plastic euro bumper. However there are still the rubber flaps left and right, used on the US cars to hide the huge gap between bumper and car so I also think it is a US car.

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thank Bert!

I wasn't sure about the rear lights. Still you think this car sends mixed signals also??????

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd deduct a few $K in my thinking for the 390mm wheels...

5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    What would you guys say this car is worth?

Thanks,

Art S.

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The manufacturer plate is certainly not US. I have doubts about the clained 20K miles. Why respray? The seats look pretty worn for 20K, even for cream color. I had a QV GTB with 39K on it with better, original interior. Wonder how many KM's in addition to the miles. However, GTB's are rare in the US. A blue one with cream leather and blue carpets would be cool. There are enough minuses that I would want to be well less than 30K. Probably has deferred maintenance as well.

Dave

7. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Looks to me to be rather honest in the description of the vehicle - the seller isn't hiding any flaws at all. Respray or not, the paint code sticker matches the car, so it could have been done well. Engine looks clean. If there are service records to review, I'd give this car a harder second-look. Definitely appears to be Euro, as those labels in the door jamb are not US-Spec...

I'd deduct points for the 14" wheels and the cracked bumper, though. If the car is well serviced and paint looks very good up-close, I'd offer $30K....if there's no recent service records, well, maybe $26K?

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The metric wheels are correct for the vintage.

This is definatly a US car. The give aways are the bumper surrounds, side marker lights, and MPH speedometer. I would not think that the seller is misrepresenting the car because he probably does not know any better about Euro vs US because it is not his car.

9. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Question - if this were a Euro car that was Federalized, wouldn't some Federalization shops add/swap these items to a Euro car for compliance reasons?

10. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    VIN decodes as Euro. The L in the fourth digit and the B in the eighth position are designations for the Euro engine and Euro market. Also, a US car would have a check sum number in the tenth digit, this one is zero.

Somebody tell me what the heck that big black box is that appears to be mounted under the dash.

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Looks like some early alarm system

12. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Looks to be Old-School UNGO alarm system.....

13. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I believe this to actually be a euro car. My 308QV Euro had a similar bumper surrounds. It also got side marker lights during the federalization. It was also converted to a "miles" speedo. Rare car. I like it. For the right price, it would be great fun. Just redye, (or re-skin), the seats, clean up the engine bay and you'd have a sweet little 308.

14. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I guess the serial number does not lie. I therefore pull back my statement that this is a US spec car. Sorry if I confused anyone.

15. NoTorq

NoTorq Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Wow, what quick responses! Thanks everyone. I'm looking for a GTB QV and when one popped up right in my hometown I thought I'd ask if anyone knew anything about it. Unfortunately, I'm probably a year away from a purchase, gotta sell my S2000 and wait for my son to be born! Probably just as well, as nice as the blue is I'm pretty set on red or black.

Thanks again everyone.

16. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    It seem that this car was repainted, the centerline along the car is blue instead of black.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That was my observation.

Think twice about the blue..Even my 12 year old daughter notices we are more 'stealth' in the blue car over the yellow or red one........

Sometimes that's a GOOD thing.....LOL!

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Looks like it sold for $29K, good deal for someone, there.

Lots of money left to fix the rough spots..........