Porsche 959 | FerrariChat

Porsche 959

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by TcpSec, Oct 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TcpSec

TcpSec Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2004
    LA, USA
    Full Name:
    Zeno S Paradox
    What do you guys think of this car? I am very seriously considering getting one. What is upsetting me is that porsche has an upgrade that makes it a 515 HP car, but with DOT/EPA c**p, this car is closer to 400 HP.

2. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I thought they were very cool in the 80's but now they seem way to over priced for what they are.
    I would rather have a CGT fastest street porsche ever. It will be a classic someday unless they keep building faster ones every year.
    I guess the bottom line is get what you like, But you did ask, so 959's
    are just O.K. in my book.

3. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Just curious, who federalizes 959s?

4. tsang85

tsang85 Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    Vancouver
  5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Bruce Canepa supposedly did a bunch of federalized versions as well.

I agree on the way overpriced comment.........

6. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    When the 959 was first produced, it was most often compared to the 288 GTO. Not many people consider the GTO overpriced & I don't think the 959 is generaly overpriced (now the one at Exoticaronline...is that Canadian $$$??)

Heck, what other sportscar has won Paris-Dakar!?!?

7. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I realize some may disagree, but as long as the car is holding it's value (and being 15 years old, it should, right?) who cars what it costs? If the car is overpriced by one seller, then yes, buy elsewhere. But if everyone is trying to ge the same outrageous prices (and actually selling near those prices) then who cars? You can sell it later in the same market.

8. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    There is also a place in Houston that does it...can't think of the name, but it ends with "Laboratories". I think I read that in Excellence.

9. Erik

Erik Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Here's an article in autoweek about it. Seems like Bruce Canepa offers upgrades and such so you get back a bit of the performance lost by the federalizing process.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=309

I would also look at the article in Excellence a few months ago, that has a wealth of information about them.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Funny thing..People are willing to spend big money for an under performing Ferrari..but they question the value of a world beating inovative machine, that basicly changed how exotic cars are viewed. I think that in itself is worth the price. The 959 was an still is a fantastic car. I would put it right along side the 288 GTO as one of the worlds most innovative cars ever.

11. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

A Ferrari forum questions the value ;)

12. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    So these are still "Show-and-Display" cars?

13. Erik

Erik Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I belive so. I'm not sure of any other way to get them into the the country however I guess once they are older then 25 years a lot of stuff stops applying to them and you will be able to import them without show and display. I'm assuming this because the Show and display act is only for cars 25 years or newer I think. Not sure what happens to EPA regulations and such as those seem to be the largest problem with the show and display act.

14. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    You can do either show and display or have someone like Bruce Canepa federalize them so you cab drive as much as you want.