Track day tires. | FerrariChat

Track day tires.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by John B, Oct 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #1 John B, Oct 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I track my 360 Modena occasionally and had been using Pirelli P Zero Corsa's for track/street tires. I have been very happy with them, particularly on the track. The problem is I need a new set and there are no front-left tires in the country anymore. They are on indefinite backorder from Italy. - The front/left is of course the tire on my car that is virtually a slick right now.

I'm thinking of using Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. They have a slightly more aggressive looking tread pattern. (Kinda look like my worn P Zero Corsa's)
    I figure they are probably pretty nasty in the wet. Does anyone have any experience with the Michelin Pilot Sport cups? Any other recomendations?

I had been using 20mm wider rubber front and rear on 18" Challenge wheels. 235/40 ZR18 Fronts and 295/30 ZR18 Rears.

Pics: Pirelli P Zero Corsa, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

John, the Sport Cups are nice.. But I like Toyo RA1's a lot better. They both last a long time, but I have found that RA1's are much better in the wet, and are slightly more predictable, IMO.

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I second Ivana :)...I really like the RA-1s. The PSCs are faster but they have heat-cycle issues that limit their practical life that the RA-1s do not exhibit. You can just run the Toyos until the tread is gone, and they don't seem to change grip much over their lifetime. My alltime favorite track tire, all things considered. And you can even drive them on the street!

Gary

4. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

All true. Sport Cups will die from heat cycles with a bunch of tread left on them!

The RA1's actually get better & better, Gary, and are at their best just before you begin to see cords. They literally can & should be run until they cord. They are superb, IMO.

5. FormulaRacer

FormulaRacer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    Do you drive to the track on the tires?

If not, are you ready to step upto slicks yet?

You cna get scrubs pretty cheap these days.

6. bigjay

bigjay Rookie

Oct 7, 2004
    I have actually found that the MPSC's last longer than the RA-1's.
    Most people I know that run the Cups run them until the tread is gone, I have found that even after 25-30 heat cycles they do not fall off like other tires. They have about the best dry weather grip, slightly better than the Toyo, they wear great as long as you have enough camber dialed in. They should last at least 3 full weekends including driving to the track if rotated from side to side and maintained. They last longer than all the guys I know that run the RA-1's. Only downside is they need the longest warm-up time for all the R rubber. Can't just go out and hammer it, they need at least a full lap to warm up. I have heard of people getting 40 heat cycles up front on them(235's).

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Another vote for RA-1's. You can drive them to the track and they do not heat cycle as fast as the Kumho Victoracers. And they are even quite fun on the road too. =D