Sticky console | FerrariChat

Sticky console

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by VA355, Oct 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VA355

VA355 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    All of the plastic pieces, inside door handle, center console, window button, etc., in my 1997 355 are really sticky. It comes off on your hands and cant clean it off. Does anybody else have this problem, if so any tips on how I can fix it?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This is a coomon thing with the 355.....

Up there in the Blue Toolbar is a 'Search' feature...try '355 interior melting'....

Good luck! ;)

The rest of you...pipe down! I can hear you thinking...............

3. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
  4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Was this B4, during, or after your date (in OT)??????

Sounds as if you may have discovered the Yellow Rose, in Austin.....:)

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

...and Welcome to FerrariChat !!

Fill out your profile and you'll soon find this is the nicest bunch of folks on Earth.

-Daniel

6. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    my 348 had a few sticky pieces on it around the ignition, on the latches for the targa top, even the plastic on door sills...I used 'Oops' and got a rag and it all came off. It restored it back its shiny black. I didnt have to respray it with anything. Dont get this stuff on leather though, its pretty bad for it in the long run. i got sticky off the plastic around the steering wheel, on the dash vents, the only thing i havent tried yet is the center console but i am contemplating taking mine apart and cleaning it up...mine is isnt sticky yet...but after seeing the results on the door sills, it should shine it up..

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

"Oops" ? What is this miracle product you speak of? The only sticky parts on my car are the steering column, and I'd like to get it cleaned up.

-Daniel

8. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    OOPS OR GOOP..WORKS GREAT...FIND IT AT WALMART-LOWES-HOME DEPOT IN THE HARDWARE SECTION.........

9. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
  10. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    I just did my entire car consol and door handles last week. See current thread under Tech "Center Consol Bubbling Dash". We all got together and had a piece made to replace the A/C consol ($49 ea). The rest of the consol you have to remove the old and repaint.

You can do the entire car in one weekend easy.

If you need help, tips and tricks or have any questiions on "how to" send me a PM and I'll be more than happy to answer. I check this site 2 X a day.

FL

ps - finished product better than new :)

11. Steph355au

Steph355au Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    This subject was raised some time ago in the forum of the Ferrari owner’s site.

Whilst there was no definitive answer it was suggested that the rubber deterioration is caused by the cleaning and dressing solutions you are using on the interior.

Suggestion was that you should never clean the rubber parts with anything but water!

Steph

12. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Steph - Not necessarily....I never use anything but a damp lint free cloth. I'm heavily into concours.

Going back to some very old FChat threads for a reliable source, the rubber in the paint was used to reduce glare in the interior. Over time the rubber seems to melt...most common in areas of high heat and or humidity. It's just one of those things...

However, the good news is once you paint it, you are done with it for good. Same thing with the shrinking dash...I was told it was the glue the factory used and not the leather...

13. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Frank, what do you use on the paint?

14. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Paul - I assume you mean paint the consol... I ordered Griot's special satin paint...used for engine and dash trim. However, I found it to be a little too glossy.. more semi gloss than satin. Actually I liked the way it looked but would not be correct enough for concours. Went to my Benjamin Moore dealer, home depot, etc etc. Found nothing that matched until a freind of mine who builds custom choppers told me where to go...sit down for this.

He said go to K-Mart (no bs). The paint is made by Dutch Boy... it's called Fresh Look Acrylic Enamel...Black Satin. Tell ya Paulie...it's a perfect match!

BTW - just bought an aluminum trailer that fits a 360 chal... if you ever need to use let me know. Going to pick it up in AZ and I'll be back next week.

15. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I used 'Goof Off 2' in an orange spray bottle from Home Depot and soaked qtips in it to get the sticky off the air vents, black mirror supports, and center console of my 348. It took about two hours to do all the sticky areas. After soaking the area with a qtip, I cleaned the bulk of the mess with clean qtips and a cotton rag with more goof off 2 on it. It cleaned up like new, but it also smeared the ****e lines on the a/c vents that show open and closed .
    BT

16. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    my 348 was like that on the console, i had it taken apart, then a shop wrapped the console in leather, turned out pretty nice

17. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Another possibility occurs if you routinely park topless in places like the Jersey shore. I left my Alfa Spider parked (top down) in Atlantic City at dusk. (Yes, it was many years ago, for those who have seen the city lately.)

Apparently the "dew" or mist coming in at sundown is heavily polluted, there. It deposited a sticky goo on the headrests, door panel tops, etc, that soaked into the vinyl upholstery, hardened the next day, turned brown in the sun, and eventually caused the vinyl to crack. (On the other hand, it did take 25 years to completely disintegrate.)

So it might be deterioration of the interior, but it might be an external influence (or effluence). Best to get it off quickly.