How many 360 owners have traded their car for the Gallardo? | FerrariChat

How many 360 owners have traded their car for the Gallardo?

Discussion in '360/430' started by msgm1, Oct 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    How many 360 owners have traded their car for the Gallardo?

2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I know some have, but for one wouldn't even consider it. Aside from financial considerations (I believe the Gallardo will depreciate faster than the 360) I just didn't get the same buzz when I drove it. I would part with my 360 for a CS or 430 but not a Gallardo.

Gary

3. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Gary, i have a CS for you with 500 miles if interested.

4. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I would prefer RWD and a longer warranty period. And seeing lots of unsold new cars in dealer showrooms (with probably lots more in off-site storage) leads me to think it's going to suffer keys-dropped-from-a-Learjet depreciation sooner rather than later.

That said, I happen to like the design and I love the compact size (but it's way too heavy...).

5. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    hard to say what the future will hold as far as resale for both the 360 and gallardo

360's have fallen hard and are everywhere with no buyers.
    seems everywhere you go there's dozen's of them
    and alot of them butchered up with mod's

stats wise,
    i think the gallardo is a better car than the 360

Gallardo's may hold firm especially with lambo holding up production of 2005's until 2004's are eatin up
    smarter move

ferrari just keeps pumpin out

how many 360's did they make ? 15,000 + ?

i think lambo is more dedictaed to rarity and exclusivity than ferrari

just my 2 cents

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Joe,
    They are "rarer" because fewer people want to buy them. Believe me, Lambo would love to sell more cars than it does.
    Ferrari "keeps pumpin out" and still fails to meet demand.
    Lambo does not have a dedication to exclusivity. In fact, they wish their cars were less "exclusive" than they are...

7. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    I have driven the Gallardo. I agree with what has been written here. I thought it a nice package. But consider the reasons I buy a sports car for. I would not buy one. It needs it's gearing to be redone. But if Lambo did that it would be quicker than a muci. Not faster but quicker and Lambo cannot have the top car beaten by it's small brother. I was also not sold on the interior nor the driving feel. It just does not thrill me like the 360. To give you a little bit more info. I have decided to buy another sports car. So, I have gone out to look at and drive several sports cars that I like. These are the ones I drove; Gallardo, DB9, 996TT, 996GT3, Vanquish,997S, and a 360 coupe. I wanted to drive a 360CS but there was not one available to drive in my area. Anyway, I thought long and hard for what I wanted in my next sports car. The 360 coupe meets most of what I was looking for. I also prior to this decided I would order a F430. I just love all the things that come with ownership of a Ferrari. Nothing to me sounds as good, feels so good to drive, and it makes me smile no matter how terrible my day has been. The Gallardo is a good car but it isn't fun enough for me to go and buy one.

And please before anyone says that certain cars in my short list are faster or quicker than the 360. I know that. I am not buying a sports car to drag race people in mustangs, firebirds, and etc. Owning a sports car to me is about lots of things and the current sports cars on the market the 360 was the car I have chosen.

And I do have to admit that depreciation is one thing that I consider. I know the 360 has come down in price, but Ferraris depreciate less than most other sports cars. I have seen Lambos drop like stones in the first several years as well as Lambo offering money back to move their cars. Not Ferrari.

Lambo is going in the right direction but it is a long road to catch up to what Ferrari has developed over so many years. And I truly believe Ferrari is building terrific and quality cars currently.

Cheers,

8. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    simona and zjpj,
    i respect what you're saying

however, how about the fact that the gallardo doesn't have timing belts, instead it has timing chains, thus, it doesn't need belt changes every three years ?
    what about the AWD handling ?
    what about V10 technology ?
    what about the fact that it has 4th generation magnelli marelli e gear technology, which is a generation latter than the 360's ?
    what about the fact that it has a motorized spoiler which comes up at 80mph or ????

it seems like a far more advanced car, not just a little advanced or a little better

what do you guys think ?

9. young-nyc

young-nyc Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bayside, NY
    Full Name:
    Young Kim
    well i do agree with your statement...but this is a ferrari forum...so i doubt many would praise another brand here ;)

10. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    Joe G. I must be living on another planet. Everywhere I look, Gallardo's are offered at a discount by dealers (sometimes as high as $20K below MSRP). When did you see a new 360 discounted at a Ferrari dealer ?

11. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    JoeG.,

I do see your point. The Gallardo does have the things you have discribed. But it was not as exciting for me. I am also not a big fan of AWD in my sportscar. I want the sports car to be a challenge to drive. When I owned both a 993TT and a F355 at the same time. It was terrific. I drove the 993TT to work as a daily driver. It performed beautifully. And the F355 was my weekend car. It also performed beautifully. I do admit there were times I drove the F355 to work.

Anyway, the 993TT gave me the best of what I wanted in my daily car and the F355 gave me what I wanted as my pleasure car. When I drove the F355 (6spd manual) it was nice to have to drive it. What I mean by this is that you had to learn to drive it (handling). It did not fix everything for you. If you went into a corner to fast and hard you had to drive it out not a computer to step in and drive it for you. I like learning how a car feels, how you learn it's level of grip. And yes I loved the sound it made. I recently watched a UK show 5th Gear. They tested the 360 CS. In it she talks about how you shift the car to hear the engine sound and just to shift it as it is so much fun. This is what I want in my sports car. It is why I am hunting for a 360 as I write this. Ferrari just has that wonderful ability to build cool sounding cars that are fantastic to drive. It is just blood brillant.

Cheers,

p.s. I do wish Ferrari would develop a V10 midengine car. Well I can dream.

12. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    They (lambo) have no choice but to hold up production if the inventory is not sold.

I am 2.5 years in on a 4 year wait for a 360/430 spyder

I have driven the Gallardo...great car. I wish the 430 were smaller physically.

13. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    GALLardo's now as much as 30 under; they may start to sell at 40 under

Joe- are you aware you cant go up a steep driveway/hill in egear 1st in a gallardo? it burns out the clutch as 1st is too high.

14. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    bboxer,
    true, i noticed that too. when the 360 came out, they weren't enough to go around. and now still, yes, there's a waiting list.
    however, for a tyipcal 360 spider, the dealers have them, i think you get put on a waiting list just so you don't have to pay well over sticker on the car.
    isn't the dealer forced to sell you the car at msrp if you wait for one?

simona
    i understand what you're saying and feeling when you see and drive a 360, because it's exactly what i'm feeling when i saw the gallardo for the first time. it made my blood pump. different strokes for different folks i guess.

tubeguy
    you're right about the production numbers.
    i too feel ferrari's should stop getting bigger and bigger.
    they seem like italian mercedes's now.
    it seems like ferrari is getting further and further away from a true sports car, and lambo is trying to retain more the hard core sports car

also, the 360 doesn't sound good without a tubi exhaust (or some kind of an exhaust). i was behind one on pch for 2 miles and you couldn't even hear the car.
    when i went to the dealer to see a new gallardo, i had them start the car and rev it up, it sounded like a formula one car right out of the box

good debate guys :)

watt,
    yes, i heard about that. but, lambo claims that is now fixed with a computer flash (reprogram) to revision III of the software. done before delivery.
    lambo claims are no better than ferrari claims :(
    also, i think the cars you're seeing at 30k and 40k under msrp are used cars on ebay ? maybe ? not indictative of what the dealer sells a brand new one for.

15. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    AWD handling is a negative in my book, too heavy and not as "tossable" as RWD. And the belt change is about $1400 at a dealer, no big deal. I hate motorized spoilers, and who cares whether it's a V8 or V10 when you're driving it (aside from sound, and from what I can gather, the 360 with Capristo or Tubi is superior to Gallardo). E-gear - I'd rather shift for myself anyway. Again, to each his own, and the Gallardo is a very compelling design with some great things going for it, I just happen to prefer the 360.

Gary

16. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    i had traded my 360 spider for a CS and could not be happier. i had also test drove the Gallardo when they came out and i was very very dissapointed. first off very uncomfortable and zero visibility. i felt like i was in a coffin.

As for the value you could have driven a 360 for few years and still get your sticker price back meanwhile they can give the gallardo's away at huge discounts.

17. fuse

fuse Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2004
    I drove the Gallardo before I got my CS. It is powerful, a ton of grip around the corners...but doesn't feel like a driver's car at all...a bit vague, feels heavy, E-gear wasn't crisp like the F1 in the CS...more like what it was on the F355 F1. I'd compare the Gallardo to a 911 Turbo. I love my GT3 and the CS, you are truly engaged to the cars when you drive them.

I did like the Gallardo a lot, as I do 911 Turbo, but I like the 360 much better...and that is comparing a car from 1999. Also, I'd like my 4WD cars, rally style like WRX STI or Mitsu EVO...you toss the car around the track differently and throttle steer around the corners. Fun!

18. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    I first saw the 1st Galardos on the green @ CI 2 years ago. The angular wedge shape, compact size were more modern looking than the 360s. Some friends and I were conceded that there will be alot of 360 owners will traded in their F-cars for this new baby Lambo, I even put down a deposit to get one. By now, I don't think that was the case. Personally, I had a chance to drive the Garlado and the CS for 2 days. Steering feels sanitized-may be due to AWD, outward and rearward vision feels clausophobic, and the overall driving experience wasn't all there. CS feels driver connected to car, car connected to road... described perfectly by Fuse. I wondered what will happen to the Gallardo when the new F-430 comes out.

19. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    #19 titanium360, Oct 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Eli, why are you getting rid of the CS so fast?

21. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    What does that have to do with value. Its the delta between purchase price and resale price that matters.

Any car you can drive for two years and sell for sticker, you wont be getting for sticker in the first place.

If you do manage to get it for sticker it will be because:

- You've dropped a hell of a lot of money with a dealer already. In which case the depreciation you save on a single car is nothing!

- Your a movie star, rock star, etc in which case you won't give a rats ass about the depreciation.

- You've waited years on the waiting list. In which case good luck selling it for sticker after 2 years of driving, because odds are there will be a replacement car around the corner.

22. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I might be living in a different world but I test drove a 360 and I was totally upset, I wanted a car more special than the Testarossa I had at the time, after a hard drive in a 360 Icame to the conclusion that the Testarossa was more fun to me and it looked much more exotic, that the 360 was faster in acceleration didnt do it for me. Yesterday I drove a 6 speed stick shift Gallardo and I was in love with it, I am on the waiting list for a 430 but the $$$ difference betweeb the two plus the 2.5 years wait do not attract me one bit. I would wait for the 430 but I know that in two plus years the price will go up and it will cost a lot more than the est. $195,000 sticker price, sticker will be more by then. So the way I see it I will do more thinking about this because I feel the Ferrari is worth the extra money, but at the same time my time is far more valuable to me and I might not feel like waiting, this for me is a hard situation to be in and will need to meditate on it. But I would pick a brand new Gallardo over a 360 only after owning it for a few days then I would know if I made a mistake and can always solve it without waiting a stinking two years.

23. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    this was a great topic. alot of helpful info.

seems like the gallardo is selling poorly. very poorly.
    dealers are willing to discount well off msrp.

and for some strange reason, alot of cars being sold with very few miles and already multiple owners. hmmmm.

looking into the future,
    the gallardo may turn out to be another jalpa
    == too few cylinders and no scissor doors ==
    gets no respect as a REAL lambo
    :(

24. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    What does value have to do with it? you got to be kidding me. you want to tell me that you won't mind losing $30K in a year on your car? why do you assume that only movies stars or famous people get new cars at sticker? i am an ordinary person that has waited my turn and got my car at sticker.

I bought my first spider two years ago and sold it just over sticker in July so i realy don't know what you are basing your assumptions on. There are plenty of ordinary people like me and you that are getting their cars at sticker.

25. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    You should think about posting this in the Off-Topic/Lambo area also, there may be some ex-360 guys there who don't hang out here any more.

Gary