Magic potion for vintage cars? | FerrariChat

Magic potion for vintage cars?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by raywong, Oct 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    Slick50, Dura lube ,Fuel line cleanner, Carburetor trement...
    Do they help a vintage car?

2. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hi, Ray - I have been driving a 1967 GTC quite regularly for almost 30 years. There are no potions needed, just good reliable products.

For fuel, I use regular, unleaded, whatever is cheapest. I have tried all brands and found absolutley no difference. Regarding rumors about unleaded ruining the valves or seats - I had one head off a few years back and the valves were perfect.

Oil - since my engine consumes a bit, I have found that Kendall GT-1, 20W50 shows the least consumption - once again, I've tried most brands but the Kendall just lasts longer.

Brake fluid - I use ONLY castrol LMA. Don't waste your time or money on silicone. We've tried it in a number of vintage cars including a 250 GTO and some older race cars, all with unsatisfactory results. I have never rebuilt the brake calipers on my car. I will discuss my theory on silicone if anyone is interested.

Gearbox/transaxle fluid. I've used both Valvoline and Havoline multi-viscosity. I can't remember for sure but I think it was 90W140. My car shifts effortlessly into second and all other gears when cold.

Anti-freeze - Peak, Prestone, whatever is on sale.

Grease - I bought a Craftsman grease gun and I just use a good general purpose moly-type grease for everything on the car.

Additives - the only additive I use is Gumout. I pour a bottle in the tank every month or so to minimize varnish in the fuel system. It's a great product.
    I've had the car since 1975 and have put well over 110,000 miles on it.

No matter what anyone tells you, the requirements for a vintage Ferrari are very basic. Don't get conned into spending a fortune on items that you do not need.

I also drive a 1967 ALFA GTV and it gets the same fluids.

By the way, I've tried all sorts of polishing/waxing products. The absolute best I've used is Nu-Finish.

And, I use Rain-X on the windshield.

Bob Z.

PS - I ran an exotic car repair service in the 70s & 80s and I would only recommend products to customers after testing them in my own cars. I never had a problem.

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    At the recommendation of a then FAF mechanic, I always used a little Marvel's Mystery Oil mixed in the fuel of my ex-330GTC and now use it in my BB512i. It helps keep things lubricated since unleaded fuels don't have the lubricating qualities of lead.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Bob
    Is that gear oil a little thick? I use 80-90w without problems and it seems to warm up a bit faster.
    Best

5. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Frank and Nap - you are both correct. Marvel is an excellent upper cylinder lube when added to the fuel but I do not think that it is formulated to replace lead which, as I understand, is strictly for the valve seats. The real advantage of MMO is it provides a very tenacious film that adheres to the cylinder walls, helping inhibit corrosion, especially in vehicles that are not often driven. I use it in my Piper Warrior as it is stored outside and sometimes will go for weeks without being run. If you fellows think Ferrari parts are expensive, you should see what they get for aircraft spares - I know, I'm in the business.
    The only reason I do not use MMO in my 330 is that it uses so much oil that I'm sure everything inside is well covered. Plus the fact that I use it so often.
    Nap, you mentioned the lighter gearbox lube - the reason I initially started using the 90W140 was for my old 330 2+2. The rear end gears tend to be a bit noisy as they are spiral bevel instead of hypoid. I recall reading a (factory?) bulletin recommending 240W lube - try and find that. Since I had the lube on hand when I bought the GTC, I decided to try it.
    I was truly surprised at how well it shifts and the relatively short warm-up time. Remember, the transaxle is remote and does not benefit from conductive heating as does an engine mounted gearbox.
    By the way, I put the same lube in my 308's and customer Dinos without problems.
    Hope this information helps.
    Bob Z.

6. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    Bob,
    Thanks for the recommandation, unfortunately we don't have some of your products.
    Don't have Kendall here, only Motul, Redline...
    No Gumout, just STP, 3M...
    No Nu-Finish, but we have Mothers, Autoglym, Zymol...

7. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I use 4 oz. MMO + 1 oz. Redline lead substitute per 10 gals. of Mobil premium unleaded. These cars were designed to use leaded fuel. The heads have never been off my car and I guess the valve guides are in excellent condition because it does not smoke at all, even on starting, at 42.5K miles. It catches on the first or second crank, starts right up and runs extremely smooth once the water is at 190F, the oil temp is straight up, and the gearbox is warm.

8. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Have you tried your local tractor dealer/workshop?
    I use 150W in the diff on my Healey and initially had a few problems finding it. Eventually found a local John Deere work shop stocked the lot.

They had a range of very high viscosity oils in drums along the back wall. The guy put my can(2 litre) under the drum, turned the tap and told me to come back in half an hour. I'm guessing you'd need about three days for the 240W ;)

Cheers
    Simon

Perhaps if Ferrucio had used his own oil in his gearboxes he wouldn't have complained to enzo about reliability. :)

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Agree with MMO
    Most airplane guys use this and it works.