Anyone here looking at the Quattroporte? | FerrariChat

Anyone here looking at the Quattroporte?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by stephens, Oct 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I spotted a Quattroporte at my local Ferrari dealer while placing an order for the F430 this week. It looks much nicer in the flesh than in the pictures, so much so that I'm thinking of trading my Mercedes. Has anyone here any experiences with the car to share, both good and bad?
    My biggest concerns are resale value, quality and a lack of easily accesible power from the Maserati. I am comparing the car to a 4 month old S600, so straight line performance isn't even going to be in the same league, but being outweighed by superior dynamics. I am looking to keep the car for at least two years, so I don't want it falling apart after 6 months.

2. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I have had a lot of time behind the wheel of a Q-Porte. Here are some of my views in response to some of your concerns;

Quality-wise, the motor has been around since 2002, and it is a fabulous motor. It is as good a motor I have ever experienced, and I have driven pretty much every Ferrari model since 1979. Your new 430 has a derivitative of that motor, as does the almighty Enzo. Being normally aspirated, it has a nice linear power delivery, no lag anywhere. The only way to fully utilize the motor's power is to paddle shift yourself, that way you are total control. Which brings me to my next observation; the transmission. It is very unique in this type of car, and I must say, it is not for everyone. I would describe the car as being very luxurious, yet very sporty as well, much of this due to the tranny. Test drive the car in the city, on the highway, using the tranny in both auto and manual mode, that will be the only way you will know for sure.

Speaking of quality; I have heard of numerous people specifically with the Benz 12-cylinder, locked in lemon lawsuits, mostly because of electronic gremlins......have you experienced this at all?

Resale? Your guess is as good as anyone's. Pros; waitlisted currently, very low production volume. Cons; Maserati is still in the re-establishment mode making many people uncertain of the brand, also unaware.

Your Benz is truly a rocket, but the Maser will never have you wishing for more power. Where the Q-Porte shines the most is in handling. It'll run circles around your Benz, or any other luxury car in the twisties. Why? It is the only sedan that has its weight biased towards the rear. This gives you similar handling characteristics that you would have in a mid-engine sports car.

Drive it...............I am curious to hear your feedback.

3. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have had a few problems with the MB;
    So far the audio gateway has been replaced twice, with the phone module replaced two weeks after the last gateway change. The transmission was leaking badly (a common problem apparently with seals on oil lines), but outside of these nuisances it has proven to be a great car, which the whole family loves. The steering and front end, whilst remote, have none of the reluctance to turn in that plague the current E55 and ultimately the car is just as quick. I love the Q car aspect of the Merc, in that it is a low key cruiser that doesn't shout "look at me", whilst still being elegant. That said, it is very antiseptic and aside from dragging off cars that it looks like it shouldn't be able to, surprising the hell out of the other driver, there isn't any real fun in the car. I keep on finding excuses to drive the Ferrari instead, so maybe the Q'porte is what I am looking for.
    The mere fact that I am looking at something else after only having the car for four months says a lot in itself.

4. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

the benz is a fabulous machine, well engineered to a tee, but for driving purposes, the Qporte is a notch above the rest in the executive car lot. It has a certain duality to it that u mite have to accept

5. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    I have a 2002 Spyder Cambiocorsa, so I'm very familiar with the powertrain that will be used in the Q. With the latest software mods from Maserati, the transmission is finally a better fit for use in the Q - the wife says she is completely satisfied with it's smoothness in Auto mode. Quite a statement for a computer-driven manual!

A couple of months ago, I had the pleasure of spending about 15-20 minutes driving a pre-production Q on the road in Southern California. The Q definitely has a more European (firm) feel than our Lexus LS430. More a driver's car than a luxo cruiser. Interior fit and finish was top-notch.

In Sport mode, the car was a joy to hammer through the gears. The same explosive acceleration from that wonderful engine was readily apparent. Maserati hit a home run with that engine!

It was obvious that the pre-production model I drove hadn't yet had the latest CC software mods applied. While more fun in the manual modes, it wasn't smooth nor prompt when shifting in Auto. That should be fixed by now, but I'd recommend driving a final production unit in full Auto before you purchase to make sure you're satisfied.

Here in the states, the Maserati dealer has been nothing short of wonderful, bending over backwards to make sure we're satisfied. My service writer says he is raked over the coals if my answers to a follow-up survey shows anything other than top ratings. They've updated (at no charge) my used 2002 to the latest suspension, engine, and transmission pieces. In fact, they have performed at a level equal to, or exceeding, our Lexus dealer. Quite a statement.

As far as depreciation, that's a gamble. While fine cars, Mercedes reputation in the last few years must be making their long-term value retention a gamble as well. If you like your dealer, like the car, you'll love the Maserati owner experience. To me, it's worth the gamble to own something unique with a grand history.

Brad

6. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    You're right about resale on the Merc, particularly the S600. It will be interesting to see what they offer as a trade in.

7. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    mine is sitting at the dealer now. just need to sort out the errors in ordering the options they made.

the QP's resale is questionable. you are dealing with a very specific car with options that can vary, especially the individual color options on the leather and trims. you might like the color combo but the new buyer might not like the piping color..

from my 5 min test drive which is not enough, i can tell you the fit and finish is great. the trunk, imo, is very small compare to the S.

8. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Scottsdale Maserati have their demo QP in and I drove it last week. The car is a revelation! I owned a Mas Spyder for about two years and I loved the engine, but had the car in the shop several times for updates to the Cambiocorsa software. It improved a bit over time, but was never great. I was curious to see if they managed to get it right in the QP.

In short, the car blew me away!. The transmission is perfect. In auto mode it is not discernible from a regular large sedan auto tranny, but the huge plus in favor of the QP is that when you select Manual mode and then Sport on top of that, you have a Ferrari with four doors.

I have an S55, with nearly 500HP and I love it, but driving the QP gave me a new sense of perspective. The QP's steering is crisp where the Benz is soft, the suspension in manual/sport mode is tight and very predictable, where the benz is comfy. The Auto mode experience is just smooth as silk.

The front seats are perfect and surprisingly the rears are very comfortable, with more than enough legroom. Maserati obviously took apart a few Benzes, Bimmers and Audis, because the fit and finish is excellent and the standard list of features is very impressive. I liked the nav system and the car is simply intuitive - the polar opposite of BMW's I-Drive.

As much as love my big Benz, and I really love it, I am getting a QP when the Benz lease is up.

9. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the s class mb depreciate very quickly and they do have a great deal of electric gremblins... also , dont forget that the maser q is a beautiful car, inside and out, and i have rarely heard anyone call the s class beautiful...also, with the maser, you get the italian passion that is missing in german cars, which can be very cold.....

10. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

Goog to hear positive comments on the QP. I was wondering if the model your drove had the latest software made for the US market?

11. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    I haven't driven one, but I was on my way up to the Ferrari dealership last week and saw Kizdan driving their demo not far from the dealership. It looks STUNNING on the road. I had seen it in person several times, but seeing it on the road is when you really get to appreciate how great the car looks. This one was navy blue with sabbia interior (I think, correct me if I'm wrong Dan), which is a great color combo for this car.

12. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    ya that color combo seems just about perfect for that car, im sure it has alot of road presence

13. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    This was a US spec car with speedo in MPH,and is what the finished product should be delivered as.

14. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    we dumped my wife's S600 when the service manager [well known authorised MB dealer in LA] told her how bad they really are and "strongly advised" her off the record to get rid of it. their build quality and reliability sux. Mercedes is a brand of the past living on fumes. i will never buy another.

her Q arrives in a week or 2; for a combination of sport driving feel, beauty and reliability, it's unmatched by the usual common crap from MB and BMW. it also is exclusive.

i rode in a lexus 430 sport the other day, and much as i hate the boring soccer mom/mini van image of lexus, the interior and build quality was amazing.

M/F has a major hit on their hands with the Q

15. minatakin

minatakin Rookie

Dec 5, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    B. Min
    none of you fear buying the car in its first year of production?

16. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    not particularly. first, the engine has been in the coupe / spyder. the transmission is programmable. there are updates already.

most importantly, Ferrari / Maserati really want this segment of the market. If anything, the buyers in this segment are very particular and will not put up with any **** that the service dept give them. I strongly feel F/M will make this car work and their owners happy.

17. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Our Spyder was one of the first delivered and it had some issues, specifically with the transmission and a particularly bad squeak coming from the soft top frame. Our dealer, along with the Mas factory rep went out of their way to ensure that we were happy. I'm certain that they will lavish the best level of attention on the initial QP buyers particularly.

18. Andiamo

Andiamo Rookie

Sep 20, 2004
    Palm Harbor, Florida
    Full Name:
    Al Fontaine
    At present I have the BMW 745 Li and it is a great car. However, it can't come close to the looks of the new Q-porte. I ordered mine last summer and should be getting it around Feb-Mar of 05. The production is slower than originally thought (per my salesman). I don't mind the slow output since I like the idea of having an exclusive car. At many of the events that I attend, you can find numerous mercedes and bmw but never a maserati. This car will be different and I think that this is a good enough reason to have it right there. The car is beautiful, especially compared to my bmw. In addition, you are getting a car that you can drive and I do mean drive. The other luxury sedans can almost drive themselves and you don't have the same feel. The resale will probably be abyssmal like all other cars in this category so just accept it. Hope this helps.

19. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Well said. You can tweak the handling characteristics but you can't totally eliminate the compromise. Its being marketed as a driver's sedan. From the posts from those who have driven it, it sounds like it lives up to its reputation.

I wouldn't say its a notch above the rest without first hand experience. I haven't ripped the Q through canyons yet (I personally feel if you can't afford the price of admission, don't go shopping). My XJ6 is modified and it lives at the limit, so I have high expectations. I modified out some of the comproimise, everyone else's level of compromise is different and why we drive what we do.

I can't wait to get my hands on a Q for a full afternoon.

Sunny

20. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Drove one yesterday at FCI. Had also driven one in Milan over the summer. It's a great combo of luxury and sport that brings back the old tradition of Maserati from decades ago [ala Ghibli and Indy]. I always found myself shifting automatics in my MB's, Bimmers and Audi sedans. And they were definitely Teutonic in design. Now the Qporte comes along w/ style, luxury, sufficient HP and crisp handling. Finally a way to have luxury and sporting fun at the same time.
    I saw 12 lined up at a the dealer in Milan. That has helped me pick the color and interior. Somehow the internet site just does not quite cut it. Have my options picked. My deposit has been in for a few months. Can't say I have ever been excited about taking delivery on a sedan.

21. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Would you prefer a sedan with 47/53 front/rear or 51/49 front/rear based on balance?

To paraphrase reviews, its ride quality and gearbox are hardly top of the class but buyers of the Q won't care. Thats what has me intrigued. Its sacrificed a lot to out perform its rivals.

Anyone care to loan me a Q for half a day? I'll have a 20 page essay critiquing the tangibles and intangibles when I'm done.

Sunny

22. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Not all cars of this type have bad resale numbers. My 2000 BMW M5 is still worth $50k or so, and I only paid $69.9K in 2000. That's not that bad for a four door sedan,

23. oooom3

oooom3 Rookie

Aug 3, 2004
  24. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I saw one at the dealer yesterday. It was blue with a camel colored interior. That was one beautiful car.

25. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    That person would be me. ;)

///M! = Kewpie (=QP = Quattroporte)
    I post on several forums under the id ///M! or M! for obvious reasons, but since i move to Maserati.. haha.. thought i adopt another name (instead of running the M! thing on a ferrari forum)

I would pick up the car in a week or so. just they need to sort out some minor issues. ;)